Could the NHL step in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Is it just the CBA that defines what obligations a NHL owner has to live up to?

You would think that all the owners in the league are very pissed off at the situation in Edmonton, the constant top picks, while other teams are trying to build as well etc. They already changed the rules for getting #1 overall, one can only assume this to be the Oiler rule. If we finish in the bottom 2 spot, I don't believe there is another team in NHL history that has this many top picks in a 6 year span.

Every owner/manager around the league can see its simply the case of poor management that has sent the Oilers in a tailspin with no signs of recovery. Each decision they make to correct a mistake seems to be worse, while keeping the same people in charge.

The people/fans really don't have any power other than buying the tickets, they used to have a wild card in the rink, since Katz got the approval and the needed tax payer money, its game set match. If this franchise was in the USA, it would be toast, Katz is so lucky its in a fanatic hockey market. If the Oilers had moved to Seattle, the Lowe/MacT/Howson trio would be gone.

Does the NHL board of Governors have any power to scold Katz?

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I find this interesting also. I would think there are all kinds of rules about damaging the reputation and integrity of NHL. Wonder if any of them would apply here?

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I don't think other teams care. Their priority is to win, for their own fans. Edmonton isn't a cup threat. They're happy to have someone else sucking it up at the bottom of the league.

As for soaking up top picks, Edmonton is unlikely to get 1st overall again, and the ones they've gotten already are hardly game breaking stars. I hardly think other teams who have had high picks in those drafts feel cheated.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I don't think other teams care. Their priority is to win, for their own fans. Edmonton isn't a cup threat. They're happy to have someone else sucking it up at the bottom of the league.

As for soaking up top picks, Edmonton is unlikely to get 1st overall again, and the ones they've gotten already are hardly game breaking stars. I hardly think other teams who have had high picks in those drafts feel cheated.

It isn't about being a cup threat.

Its about other teams that are suffering and trying to build through the draft, while the Oilers are the puck hogs of the draft on a consistent basis. The others at the bottom aren't happy that the Oilers keep sucking. This is the main reason for the draft in the first place, it wasn't meant for poor management to take the prizes. It doesn't only affect #1 overall but tops in every round, which affects all teams.

Its not like the Oilers are NOT the laughing stock of the NHL while daily jokes being made about them by other teams and management.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Nobody gives a crap. If the reason they do is because they want to try and out tank us, then they get what they deserve. The Oilers should be the poster child of how NOT to build a franchise.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I find this interesting also. I would think there are all kinds of rules about damaging the reputation and integrity of NHL. Wonder if any of them would apply here?

I read the CBA, there is nothing infringing there.

You would think there needs to be some kind of accountability to the league. You cant just have a Kim Jong Un running a team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
FFS :facepalm:

No, the League couldn't "step in" because the Oilers are still very solvent, that's what the League does and should care about. The team sucks, if you bothers you this much, get a new team.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
I gets the feeling that the Oilers will be picking no higher than second even if they "win" the lottery. 'Till they allow the lottery to unfold live i dont buy it for a minute.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
FFS :facepalm:

No, the League couldn't "step in" because the Oilers are still very solvent, that's what the League does and should care about. The team sucks, if you bothers you this much, get a new team.

FFS if it bothers you so much, stay out of the thread.

Its not about the team sucking, its about why the team has sucked, sucks and will suck under current control.

Hypothetical, if the Oilers or ANY team had 10 first overall picks, do the board of governors (who run the league) have a right to step in? The draft is a tool set up for the advancement of poorer teams to become competitive.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
FFS if it bothers you so much, stay out of the thread.

Its not about the team sucking, its about why the team has sucked, sucks and will suck under current control.

Hypothetical, if the Oilers or ANY team had 10 first overall picks, do the board of governors (who run the league) have a right to step in? The draft is a tool set up for the advancement of poorer teams to become competitive.

It's about you feeling entitled to be a better team, which simply isn't the case. We all deserve a better team, but they aren't so you either deal with that or get out, but you've chosen spam entitlement at everyone.

Daryl Katz owns the team, not you , not me, so he's entitled to run it how he see fit. Even if we don't agree with that, and we don't, trust me, he's not "beholden" to anyone but himself.

Just because you're an upset fan, doesn't mean you're entitled to have the league take over. Get over yourself, we all have to endure then and we ALL AREN'T happy, you aren't unique or special in that way, other then you're more spammy(trademark) about being entitled to be.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like it, suck it up or get out, because spamming BS at us isn't going to do anything other then alienate "fellow fans"

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Are you kidding? LOL The NHL loves the oilers and their organization.

They got a new arena almost fully paid for by public money, the fans are still coming out after a decade of hopeless horrible management and are a solid franchise. The oilers are what the nhl hopes every single team would be like.

Public funding, a dumb ass fan base that pays up no matter what and zero accountability.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Are you kidding? LOL The NHL loves the oilers and their organization.

They got a new arena almost fully paid for by public money, the fans are still coming out after a decade of hopeless horrible management and are a solid franchise. The oilers are what the nhl hopes every single team would be like.

Public funding, a dumb ass fan base that pays up no matter what and zero accountability.

Toronto West!

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It's about you feeling entitled to be a better team, which simply isn't the case. We all deserve a better team, but they aren't so you either deal with that or get out, but you've chosen spam entitlement at everyone.

Daryl Katz owns the team, not you , not me, so he's entitled to run it how he see fit. Even if we don't agree with that, and we don't, trust me, he's not "beholden" to anyone but himself.

Just because you're an upset fan, doesn't mean you're entitled to have the league take over. Get over yourself, we all have to endure then and we ALL AREN'T happy, you aren't unique or special in that way, other then you're more spammy(trademark) about being entitled to be.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like it, suck it up or get out, because spamming BS at us isn't going to do anything other then alienate "fellow fans"

You are missing the entire point!! Feeling entitled to be a better team, just stop.

To be quite honest, I'm not unhappy, and it has nothing to do with "get over yourself". In no place did I say the league should take over, you made that jump yourself.

Its asking a very simple question about obligations of a NHL franchise owner.

Here is another simple question, if Katz was trying to get the approval for the rink in Edmonton at this point (with added tax payer money), would it happen without changes? He owns the team but he had help building a rink.

If its spam to you, DONT READ IT, AND DONT REPLY.

If it alienates other fans like you, too bad, suck it up, its a discussion board.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think at this point the Oilers are a mere afterthought for most of the teams...owners included.

Oilers are making money.

Other teams are receiving their transfer payments due to the Oiler success at the box office.

Everyone's happy. Except of course for the most important people...the Oiler fans themselves.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I think at this point the Oilers are a mere afterthought for most of the teams...owners included.

Oilers are making money.

Other teams are receiving their transfer payments due to the Oiler success at the box office.

Everyone's happy. Except of course for the most important people...the Oiler fans themselves.

They already changed the draft rules, there must have been some concern.

Yes as long as they make money and transfer payments are made, I suppose no one cares. If the Canadian dollar takes a big hit, things can change quickly if all the seats aren't full.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You are missing the entire point!! Feeling entitled to be a better team, just stop.

To be quite honest, I'm not unhappy, and it has nothing to do with "get over yourself". In no place did I say the league should take over, you made that jump yourself.

Its asking a very simple question about obligations of a NHL franchise owner.

Here is another simple question, if Katz was trying to get the approval for the rink in Edmonton at this point (with added tax payer money), would it happen without changes? He owns the team but he had help building a rink.

If its spam to you, DONT READ IT, AND DONT REPLY.

If it alienates other fans like you, too bad, suck it up, its a discussion board.

I'm not "missing the point" I called you on what you're doing.

Again, you say it's a discussion board, you started the thread, YOU opened yourself up, I called you out and now you're not happy about it, so you're scrambling.

WE ARE ALL UNHAPPY WITH THE STATE OF THE TEAM, no one is happy with anything, if you believe otherwise you aren't paying attention, but if you're going to post ridiculous things like this thread, ridicule comes with the territory.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The draft is not meant for tanking, you are missing the point.

Must be, but I've read your posts and I still don't understand what "point" your trying to make?

If it's whether or not the league should step in because the Oilers are inept? Then that's silly, money talks, Oilers pay their own way and more.

Are you asking if the league should step in because the Oilers are intentionally tanking for top picks? Then I answered that one.

Are you asking for the league to step in because this embarrassment of a franchise is killing us fans? Then I think JJ answered that.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I'm not "missing the point" I called you on what you're doing.

Again, you say it's a discussion board, you started the thread, YOU opened yourself up, I called you out and now you're not happy about it, so you're scrambling.

WE ARE ALL UNHAPPY WITH THE STATE OF THE TEAM, no one is happy with anything, if you believe otherwise you aren't paying attention, but if you're going to post ridiculous things like this thread, ridicule comes with the territory.

Its your opinion on why I posted it and I'm telling you the point was missed by you.

Why did they change the draft rules?

Would the rink go ahead today with the current Oiler ownership/management?

Can an owner do anything he likes with a team while being part of the NHL?

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
If ever there was a time when the league would have stepped in to "fix" a franchise, it would have been during the Bill Wirtz era in Chicago, when one of the league's cornerstone franchises in one of the league's largest markets was being run into the ground by an old ******* who just didn't give a ****. The state of the Hawks was a detriment not just to Chicago fans, but to the league as a whole, and the league would have loved to have done something about it. They didn't, and couldn't.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Must be, but I've read your posts and I still don't understand what "point" your trying to make?

If it's whether or not the league should step in because the Oilers are inept? Then that's silly, money talks, Oilers pay their own way and more.

Are you asking if the league should step in because the Oilers are intentionally tanking for top picks? Then I answered that one.

Are you asking for the league to step in because this embarrassment of a franchise is killing us fans? Then I think JJ answered that.

Fair enough.

Let me try again:)

If you are a owner in the NHL, and you are doing your best to win and run your team, but for whatever reasons you are in a position to build your team through the draft. I guess I am saying that an obvious inept team is in your way of having a FAIR chance to doing what should be a fair system. They did already change the draft rules, so obviously it is a concern from the board of governors. Is it coincidence that rule was just made? I guess you could say I am asking about inept ownership and management, but are other owners also concerned about that. (specifically the draft) which is what I put in FIRST post.

It has nothing to do with embarrassment and killing fans, thats just a rant.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
If ever there was a time when the league would have stepped in to "fix" a franchise, it would have been during the Bill Wirtz era in Chicago, when one of the league's cornerstone franchises in one of the league's largest markets was being run into the ground by an old ******* who just didn't give a ****. The state of the Hawks was a detriment not just to Chicago fans, but to the league as a whole, and the league would have loved to have done something about it. They didn't, and couldn't.

Very true I guess, Ballard was also insane.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
They already changed the draft rules, there must have been some concern.

Yes as long as they make money and transfer payments are made, I suppose no one cares. If the Canadian dollar takes a big hit, things can change quickly if all the seats aren't full.

They changed the draft rules, but was it strictly because of Edmonton?

I tend to think that given that changes to how the draft lottery works have mostly been tied to years that a lockout occurred (draft lottery was created in '95, and the "only fall a max of 4 spots" rule was discarded after the 2012 draft), that these changes can be used as a sort of carrot to the big market teams to go along with the lockout.

Agreed about the Canadian dollar, it's dropped 10 cents compared to when Katz first bought the Oilers...drop another 10 cents and we could be see the Canadian teams asking about bringing back the Canadian dollar equalization payments they used to bank on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad