Could the 2013-2014 Binghamton Senators have beaten edmonton at their worst?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
This year Edmonton is worse than last year do you think they could beat Edmonton this year? I don't.

Could they beat the coyotes Carolina? Maybe, big maybe, but we couldn't even beat a bottom 3 team. How would our AHL team? Because we had ds costa and Pageau?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
So the argument here is if the Oilers players all play their absolute worst, then the B-Sens could best them if they were all playing their best?

OK. I'll start a thread that says the Ottawa Senators of today can beat Team Canada.

Ottawa Sens have a better chance of beating Team Canada then an AHL team has of beating an NHL team.

Pageau is a near PPG player and utterly doninant in the AHL. Great at special teams and defence. Maybe a top 10 forward, even top 10 player in the league. In the NHL Pageau had 2-3 points in his last 40 games.

When the lockout happened... Spezza destroyed the AHL. When the more recent one happened... The Oiler kids were destroying the AHL offensively. Since then hardly any AhLers even get to a ppg. Even for partial seasons.

Sure in a one off game where the lesser team gets incredible goaltending it is possible Latvia could beat Canada or an AHL team could beat in NHL one... But those are rarities. 1 in 20 games or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's stupid to entirely write off the possibility of an AHL team beating an NHL team. We've seen improbable upsets at the World Juniors and the Olympics, and some of those pre-season NHL vs European games have been close.

Winning a 7 game series? Pretty long odds on that one. But an AHL team would win the rare game against an NHL squad, without a doubt.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Da costa didn't make Nhlers look like scrubs anywhere. WC? So like that one random NHL playing on some random countries 2nd line. Yeah maybe I guess. Da costa vs RNH would be tough to watch. Da costa would sign a 15 year contract in the KHL and never come back

I seem to remember DaCosta scoring 2 goals on Canada in the WC and also had some big games against other NHLer. I admit i was a little aprrehensive about making that comment though.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I would say

NHL
KHL
SEL
SM Liiga

Then I could see National League A or the AHL

I'd wager the ahl has produced the most nhlers of any professional league. There are more players that can play in the NHL at any given time in the ahl, then all other professional leagues i bet.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd wager the ahl has produced the most nhlers of any professional league. There are more players that can play in the NHL at any given time in the ahl, then all other professional leagues i bet.

A NHL developmental league producing the most NHL players? No way :sarcasm:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
A NHL developmental league producing the most NHL players? No way :sarcasm:

Exactly... Tons of players in the AHL that have NHL skill and will soon be good nhl players. Just thought you werent giving the AHL enough credit. Very underrated league imo and the league that has probably the most players in the world that belong in the NHL.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Exactly... Tons of players in the AHL that have NHL skill and will soon be good nhl players. Just thought you werent giving the AHL enough credit. Very underrated league imo and the league that has probably the most players in the world that belong in the NHL.

The AHL has players that will be in the NHL because NHL teams are committed to developing them. KHL, SEL, and SM Liiga have many players that are just below NHL level.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The AHL has players that will be in the NHL because NHL teams are committed to developing them. KHL, SEL, and SM Liiga have many players that are just below NHL level.

Theres merit in your argument but to think that Boro, Hoffman, Stone and Ceci couldnt have played in the NHL last year is not something i believe. Hoffman didnt become faster, his shot didnt become better, he didnt start seeing the ice better. Hes the same player he was in the AHL last year. There was no major upgrade in how he played last year in the ahl versus how hes playing in the NHL.

You can argue that he sucked in the NHL last year but i think that boils down to confidence. I think its pretty clear he carries the puck more then he did last year and plays much more confidently.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
4 NHL players <<<<< A NHL team

Agreed, though like I pointed out earlier, both the '92 Sens and the '75 Caps didn't have much more than 4 NHLers on those rosters (and in the case of Washington, no more than even maybe 2 or 3), and those two teams won 10 and 8 games, respectively.

I dont think 8-10 wins is out of line as a projection over a full season vs. actual NHL teams for an upper-tier AHL team with young skilled players.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
4 NHL players <<<<< A NHL team

An NHL team with many players who dont belong in the NHL. Bingo also has the same quality of NHL goalie that Edmonton has and DaCosta could conceivably be in the NHL. I have no problem saying he could have went into this season as Edmonton's second line center.

Like Bonk pointed out. Just because you're on an NHL team doesnt mean you're automatically better then some players in the AHL.

Some of the worst teams in the league have only had 3-4 actual players that would establish them self in NHL basically making them good AHL teams and they have beaten NHL teams of all different qualities as much as 1 in 8 times. Not saying this is the case for Edmonton though but they clearly have an above average number of players that shouldnt be in the league.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree but its not inconceivable for an ahl team to beat an nhl team like so many people claim which is my point.

It certainly isn't inconceivable... not sure how many games it would take but out of 10 games, I'm sure the B-Sens of last year could take at least one against the Oilers of this year. Not sure why so many jump that much at your argument though, sounds like inexperience of following pro hockey. Also, some people still don't seem to understand that "team" thing concept. Sounds pretty revolutionnary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad