Could Leafs use the 'Kane Loophole'?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Imagine being the owner that has Dubas asking for another 10 million to try and make the playoffs.
Imagine not using every possible thing at your disposal.

Give it up on the Dubas thing. You are just sinking yourself.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It seems more likely they do it with Ceci.
Personally I think the longer Ceci is out of the lineup the better their defense is. So let's assume they keep him on LTIR for the remainder of the season and Rielly is able to return on schedule, if Toronto makes the playoffs do you even want Ceci playing again?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Personally I think the longer Ceci is out of the lineup the better their defense is. So let's assume they keep him on LTIR for the remainder of the season and Rielly is able to return on schedule, if Toronto makes the playoffs do you even want Ceci playing again?

Nope, but you can keep him as a #7 D.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
We already waste much more each season propping up other less successful teams down south. What is the difference besides it is actually doing us some good for a change.

I dont care if it takes every loophole possible to win. Just ****ing win

Given that the cap keeps payrolls artificially low compared to free market pre-cap payrolls, I suspect the Leafs are probably spend less money on payroll + revenue sharing than they would be in payroll alone in a non-capped league.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Reilly this week gets news that he wont be able to be back until a week is left in the regular season, the Leafs are better off acquiring talent to replace his caphit until the playoffs then bringing him back with a week or 2 left in the season.

Understand the Leafs can be out of the playoffs by the time he comes back. Your better off using the cap space to strengthen existing lineup without Reilly so we can make the playoffs comfortably rather then wait.

As for Ceci contract, his cap hit along with a forward or two would be suffice in Reilly replacement and other re-enforcements.

Dubas would be stupid to not take advantage of the loophole.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If Rielly is healthy and ready to play in mid-March there's no way they keep him out. He'll need those ~10 games to get back in game shape and sharpen his game. Kane's situation may have been different, in that he may have actually been injured until early April. If Rielly has a competitive bone in his body he would never agree to sit our that long if he's ready to play.

However I fully expect them to make Ceci go away and have that cap space to trade for an impact player.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
We gave half our cap to 4 players.

Those 4 players are healthy. So we should be fine. They will outscore our problems.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Imagine being the owner that has Dubas asking for another 10 million to try and make the playoffs.
Playoff wins and home games in the playoffs is lucrative. Series wins and winning a couple rounds would more than make up the costs. First round exits are bad.Missing the playoffs while rushing your top defenseman back while losing the cap space to improve and still missing the playoffs is suicidal. Rielly needs to heal up and come back 100% healthy in game one of the playoffs.

Coming back to a better defense by additions from his cap flexability added by his injury is icing on the cake. There is no negative as long as we make the playoffs. The bad start has turned into holding a playoff spot. We now have a good backup goalie. We have toughness in Clifford.

We need to strengthen the defense and possibly add a scoring winger with grit and work ethic. Maybe a rental. Dubas should do what ever the opportunity affords him to do.

There is a very real opportunity to improve where previously there was no opportunity. I am already in the frame of mind Morgs is gone until game #1 of the playoffs ;)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If he doesn't then hes an idiot. Based on Riellys play this season he won't be that much of a factor on whether the leafs qualify or not.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If he doesn't then hes an idiot. Based on Riellys play this season he won't be that much of a factor on whether the leafs qualify or not.

The evaluation with the doctor is tomorrow. Gone for season will be the message :)

Ceci Gone for season ha.

Trade early. Get everybody on board and build chemistry is the way i would like to see it go down. Bracco is a trade chip guaranteed etc. Kerfoot because Engvall can do his job. Barrie can go to a western conference team. We need some defense and grit. Its not like our secondary scoring(bottom six) have physicality or scoring. Change to physical players there with a defensive awareness and energy and we are a changed team for the better. Tima,aberg Gauthier? Who cares about waiving them. Its not like they are vital.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That matters not.
If it is allowed under the current CBA thats all that matters. Not what the BOG or even Bettman thinks.

The leafs making a deep run and winning the cup would be a financial boon to the league as a whole. The old boys club would love that more then they would hate the CBA being followed to the letter. Hell Pridham wrote the damn thing. If anyone knows what is and isnt allowed it is him

We are largely talking about 2 different things: a) the current rules in the CBA; versus, b) the future & what might happen to the next CBA.

I don't know what the majority of the BoG wants or supports as far as changes to the next CBA, but wondered (aloud) if what happened in the past (the initiation of the first CBA) might provide some insight.

As for the last paragraph, you are projecting your opinion or providing conjecture on what you think (or hope) will happen. That's OK, but its still conjecture nonetheless.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
We are largely talking about 2 different things: a) the current rules in the CBA; versus, b) the future & what might happen to the next CBA.

I don't know what the majority of the BoG wants or supports as far as changes to the next CBA, but wondered (aloud) if what happened in the past (the initiation of the first CBA) might provide some insight.

As for the last paragraph, you are projecting your opinion or providing conjecture on what you think (or hope) will happen. That's OK, but its still conjecture nonetheless.

I don't think its too big of a reach to say that the BoG would love having 2 huge fanbases in the cup finals. Money talks and that will never change. The bottom dollar matters more in the GB era more then ever before. The Leafs winning a cup would push sales for everything Leaf related to unheard of heights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad