News Article: Could Kadri be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't been looking more heavily into trading Matthews - His value, with one year left on his ELC, will never be higher, and we already have 2 quality centers locked up long-term in Tavares and Kadri.

You think Matthews value has peaked?

Strange view.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
You think Matthews value has peaked?

Strange view.

tenor.gif

Come on, man...

@BertCorbeau can we just... Can we just not do this again this week?

Reactions: FlareKnight

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I'm so sick of these trade Kadri, trade Nylander for a RHD threads. Trading those guys leaves huge holes. There is no Nylander replacement at the moment and same goes for Kadri. This will weaken one area even if it strengthen's another. The right way to do it, is take from an area that won't be impacted majorly. I also think we need to let this thing play out a bit before making a move for a RHD. We have no idea how things will turn out yet because our forward depth is directly going to impact the lack of need for defensive stalwarts. If things are not working out (this will be seen within the first 3 months of the season), then we can look at trading pieces that we truly have in abundance to address the defensive issues. For example, MAYBE a Gardner+ package for a RHD. IF Dermott does take a huge step forward and looks like he's going to be fine on the top 4, then we look to move Gardner+ to see if we can land a upgrade on the RHD side of things. Now the other possibility is if things don't go as planned with Gardner's contract negotiations, then again, this may create a need for a trade sooner. But we lose Kadri, and all of a sudden that 'scary' centre depth is no longer there. Babcock currently has 3 lines potentially that can match up against any teams top lines. Why would we trade Kadri and lose that advantage to gain something on the defensive side, where we're not even sure we're going to be as terrible? Zaitsev could bounce back, Ozzy could be real good, Carrick could improve this year, Hainsey may have to play less difficult mins with our likely increased possession of the puck (he was bad only on the 2nd half of last year - probably overused). Maybe one of Garder/Reilly get moved to the right side. I know there's a lot of IFs there, and Yes we can be better on the RHD side of things for sure, but it needs to make more sense then just trading guys who we cannot replace. Some patience I think will go a long way.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm so sick of these trade Kadri, trade Nylander for a RHD threads. Trading those guys leaves huge holes. There is no Nylander replacement at the moment and same goes for Kadri. This will weaken one area even if it strengthen's another. The right way to do it, is take from an area that won't be impacted majorly. I also think we need to let this thing play out a bit before making a move for a RHD. We have no idea how things will turn out yet because our forward depth is directly going to impact the lack of need for defensive stalwarts. If things are not working out (this will be seen within the first 3 months of the season), then we can look at trading pieces that we truly have in abundance to address the defensive issues. For example, MAYBE a Gardner+ package for a RHD. IF Dermott does take a huge step forward and looks like he's going to be fine on the top 4, then we look to move Gardner+ to see if we can land a upgrade on the RHD side of things. Now the other possibility is if things don't go as planned with Gardner's contract negotiations, then again, this may create a need for a trade sooner. But we lose Kadri, and all of a sudden that 'scary' centre depth is no longer there. Babcock currently has 3 lines potentially that can match up against any teams top lines. Why would we trade Kadri and lose that advantage to gain something on the defensive side, where we're not even sure we're going to be as terrible? Zaitsev could bounce back, Ozzy could be real good, Carrick could improve this year, Hainsey may have to play less difficult mins with our likely increased possession of the puck (he was bad only on the 2nd half of last year - probably overused). Maybe one of Garder/Reilly get moved to the right side. I know there's a lot of IFs there, and Yes we can be better on the RHD side of things for sure, but it needs to make more sense then just trading guys who we cannot replace. Some patience I think will go a long way.
So much this.

Not to mention, Timothy Liljegren has potential to be just as good, if not better, than any defenseman Kadri/Nylander would likely net in a trade 1-on-1, and is probably only a year or two away from really showing it at the NHL level. I think some people are sleeping on him a bit.

Reactions: glue

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Nah, best to keep him, there are other less costly ways to improve the D.

What I find odd though is Kadri supporters complain about these threads, and then proceed to provide pages of responses. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad