Could Joe Bowen broadcast Leafs national games next season?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Next season when the Rogers NHL tv contract starts what are the odd's we get to have Joe Bowen broadcasting the Leafs games that are scheduled to be shown during a national broadcast and not just local Leafs broadcasts? Since Rogers already owns part of MLSE that's why I wonder if that has a chance of happening?

Personally I'm sick of always having to hear Jim Hughson, Craig Simpson, and Glenn Healy.

Also when HNIC shows more than 1 or 2 games and it involves the Senators, CBC has Dean Brown broadcast their games and he already does their regional games for Sportsnet East.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Not professional enough for those networks and he's very biased, which is why we love him but also why he's only a regional broadcaster. I agree though about the current HNIC team, especially Healy, ugh.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Not professional enough for those networks and he's very biased, which is why we love him but also why he's only a regional broadcaster. I agree though about the current HNIC team, especially Healy, ugh.
If that was truly the case, they wouldn't have the current team calling the games as is. I mean come on, they have Hughson calling Vancouver vs Leafs , unless all of Canada wants to hear how bad the Leafs suck. Then again, people insist CBC has a Leafs bias so IDK but things are owned by Rogers so theres a small chance Bowen could work HNIC for the Leafs.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I can't see Bowen doing national games. He's been the Leaf guy for decades. There's no reason to even have him attempt to do a team-neutral broadcast when there's plenty of options available.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I think were so used to Leafs bias that when a neutral party calls our games they think theyre biased against us.

TheThrill81*

I think were so used to Leafs bias that when a neutral party calls our games they think theyre biased against us.

That's a nice theory, except Hughson and Healy are infact biased against the Leafs. After listening to them countless times, there's no reason to believe otherwise.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Like I said before since CBC already uses Dean Brown who does the Senators Regional games for Sportsnet and they should realize he has a bias for them, how is that any different compared to Joe Bowen doing the Leafs games? I mean didn't Rogers come out and say there would be more then 1 national game on their different networks, so why would non Leafs fans care who does their games?

Let's not forget the new host for HNIC George Stroumboulopoulos is an admitted Montreal Canadiens fan and they have no problem with him about that.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga

Funny you should say this but there are commentators that are FAR more biased then Bowen... Jack Edwards anyone? I was listening to flyers game last night on comcast and their bias towards philly was down right embarrassing i had to turn it off.

With that being said, I like Bowen more than anyone and think he's a stud at what he does, but somehow i feel that if he covered the leafs 7 days a week for the whole year, it could get a bit overwhelming. I enjoy Jim Hughson, and even more so Bob cole.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Joe Bowen without his incredible homer-ism, just isn't Joe Bowen.

In that regard, I wouldn't want him doing the national broadcasts.

Love the guy to bits though so hope he does get some TV time. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but one day Joe Bowen will no longer be calling Leafs games and it will be a very sad day.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
That's a nice theory, except Hughson and Healy are infact biased against the Leafs. After listening to them countless times, there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Can you give any examples for Hughson? I really don't notice this when he's doing the play by play. He may very well personally dislike the Leafs, but if he does, he keeps it professional enough as far as I'm concerned.

He and Cuthburt are the two guys I prefer for national broadcasts.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Worrying about bias seems kind of pointless to me. It's all subjective anyways. Healy's problem is that he's a terrible analyst who throws a fit when anyone disagrees with him. I prefer others to Hughson, but c'est la vie. And he's not going anywhere. He's going to be on the first team with Simpson next season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Chances are it will happen. The majority of our Saturday games will be on Sportsnet, instead of CBC, so we will likely get Joe Bowen, Greg Millen, and Paul Hendricks unless Rogers lets them
Go, which I don't see happening

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Chances are it will happen. The majority of our Saturday games will be on Sportsnet, instead of CBC, so we will likely get Joe Bowen, Greg Millen, and Paul Hendricks unless Rogers lets them
Go, which I don't see happening

Well, technically, they don't work for Rogers. They work for MLSE. Remember, other than the intermissions, the regional Leaf games on Sportsnet are produced by Leafs TV.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Bowen is a tub of lard. Anyone but Bowen is my motto. I'll take the HNIC crew any day.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Can you give any examples for Hughson? I really don't notice this when he's doing the play by play. He may very well personally dislike the Leafs, but if he does, he keeps it professional enough as far as I'm concerned.

He and Cuthburt are the two guys I prefer for national broadcasts.

Hughson is often laughing at us and he loves to make condescending remarks with both Healy and Simpson. Healy is definitely the worst, but Hughson and Simpson are still bad.

Even last season when we did well, if we played another good team like Boston, they would constantly gush over the other team while belittling the Leafs.

Hughson does have a good voice, but he's a Canucks homer and he's not the best of the best, that title belongs to Cuthbert AINEC. Cuthbert is one guy who never has any sort of bias of any kind. He doesn't mock teams either.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Something tells me other fanbases wouldn't enjoy watching their team play against the Leafs while having to listen to Bowen commentate :laugh:

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008
Bowen is a tub of lard. Anyone but Bowen is my motto. I'll take the HNIC crew any day.

Oh, name calling. That's new.

Anyways, Jim Hughson should go back to calling Canucks games, he certainly loved calling those games. Joe Bowen is just awesome to hear call a game. Could do without Greg Millen from time to time.

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
you guys gotta remember this is a rogers gig. Nor professional enough for the network? You mean the one that already employs him on two tv stations and the radio?

And the whole concept is there is no more national games (which is a crock of **** and ignores the fact that not everyone has cable, but rogers lol) HNIC in canada will be on like cbc ctv sn and sn360. Different games on each but they all have the same intros, intermissions etc.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
I think Joe would just continue with regional games and radio calls on national games.

As fast as broadcasters having a biased against the leafs, I have to say its just not there. I've seen leafs vs sens games where both fan bases are screaming about one sided commentary. Its all in your imagination. That being said, I don't like the current HNIC crew. Bob Cole or bust!!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Hughson is often laughing at us and he loves to make condescending remarks with both Healy and Simpson. Healy is definitely the worst, but Hughson and Simpson are still bad.

Even last season when we did well, if we played another good team like Boston, they would constantly gush over the other team while belittling the Leafs.

Hughson does have a good voice, but he's a Canucks homer and he's not the best of the best, that title belongs to Cuthbert AINEC. Cuthbert is one guy who never has any sort of bias of any kind. He doesn't mock teams either.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't hear it at all except from Healey.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't hear it at all except from Healey.

If you have never heard Hughson mock the Leafs then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not making this up out of thin air man. I don't see why he would be so disliked here if others didn't notice the same thing.

And don't give me the 'Leafs fans think neutral pbp guys are biased because they're not homers' shtick because I don't see anyone complain about Cuthbert or Gord Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad