Could Jagr make the NHL now?

Could Jagr make the NHL now as the worst 4th liner on the worst team in the league?

• Total voters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He blows away some of the bad players still playing every night, c'mon.

The only question is whether Jagr would be willing to do that.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'm surprised by these results. More than 7/10 posters think Jagr is worse than worst player in the league? Worse than the worst non-skating goon? Wow.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm surprised by these results. More than 7/10 posters think Jagr is worse than worst player in the league? Worse than the worst non-skating goon? Wow.

It's not a question of being better or worse. Even in the modern NHL, most teams try to fill their 4th lines with wingers that can forecheck and kill penalties. Jagr is not suited for that, at all.

Great start to see for Jagr to be 5+1 in 6 games in the Czech league, but the league's leading scorer is Milan Gulas who has 20 points in 8 games. I've seen Gulas in the SHL and he's basically a good AHL level player.

Martin Gernat, who was often in the pressbox in the AHL a couple of years ago, is leading the Czech league in points among defensemen. Stay at home defenseman Ladislav Smid is almost also a PPG...

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Lack of ability isn't the problem. Jagr still has NHL level talent. What’s keeping him out of the NHL is a lack of stamina and endurance. Unlike even the worst players in the league, the NHL grind would wear down a 47 year old Jagr in no time.

Reactions: Elvs

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He was terrible the last 2 (1.5 really) years of his career.
And that was 2 years ago.

Not a chance.

Why would you think he could?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I feel like we're just ignoring the existence of Ottawa and I'm not sure why? I agree that Jagr doesn't really fit well in the modern NHL, not as he is now- but I voted yes, and probably for all the wrong reasons. 1) I do think he could help a team's powerplay, 2) Ottawa wants to tank yet wants to sell tickets. I could see a world where Melnyk decides to pay Jagr $2 million or somethin in an attempt to make that happen. Idk, it's not how it's supposed to work, but I wanted a basement dweller to do the same with Theo Fleury a few years back. Your team sucks, your playing borderline AHL players who are not going to get better- why not give the fans some entertainment with a solid sendoff for an older guy? Especially if you're really trying to lose and the older dude might actually help with that? Not the usual take, but I wish more teams would do it. Vet presence might help some young'uns, it's not like they're making you miss playoffs or anything, and it can make a shit product more bearable. I'd have watched Rick Jeanneret lace 'em up for the Sabres five years ago, what the f*** do I care when we're already undeniably that bad?

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
People forget the context of his last season in Flames. He missed the pre-season and a large part of the season to injuries and never got going. Im pretty sure he would be effective still if he haven't declined heavily recently.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I feel like we're just ignoring the existence of Ottawa and I'm not sure why? I agree that Jagr doesn't really fit well in the modern NHL, not as he is now- but I voted yes, and probably for all the wrong reasons. 1) I do think he could help a team's powerplay, 2) Ottawa wants to tank yet wants to sell tickets. I could see a world where Melnyk decides to pay Jagr $2 million or somethin in an attempt to make that happen. Idk, it's not how it's supposed to work, but I wanted a basement dweller to do the same with Theo Fleury a few years back. Your team sucks, your playing borderline AHL players who are not going to get better- why not give the fans some entertainment with a solid sendoff for an older guy? Especially if you're really trying to lose and the older dude might actually help with that? Not the usual take, but I wish more teams would do it. Vet presence might help some young'uns, it's not like they're making you miss playoffs or anything, and it can make a **** product more bearable. I'd have watched Rick Jeanneret lace 'em up for the Sabres five years ago, what the **** do I care when we're already undeniably that bad?

Ottawa's forwards are NHL calibre, they are mainly just lacking high end players.

Sure, they are playing a guy like Scott Sabourin but clearly they want this plug in their lineup, otherwise they'd play Mikkel Boedker over him. Boedker scored at a 40+ point pace last season, and has been especially successful on the power play in his career, so the fact that he's in their pressbox should speak for Jagr's chances of making their roster on any other team's roster.

I agree that Jagr could be useful on the PP still, but no team would be so desperate they'd put a 47 year old defensive liabilty on their 4th line only so he could play 30 seconds on their 2nd PP unit. If they had no one else for that role, they really ought to see over their top six.

The only reason anyone would bring in Jagr would be for PR reasons. But even the Florida Panthers, the team most desperate for PR attention, let him go 2.5 years ago when he was still somewhat productive.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Great start to see for Jagr to be 5+1 in 6 games in the Czech league, but the league's leading scorer is Milan Gulas who has 20 points in 8 games. I've seen Gulas in the SHL and he's basically a good AHL level player.

Gulaš is a skilled undersized winger, much the type of sniper that often finds more success in Europe. Lack of hands never was the reason he's not in the NHL.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Ottawa's forwards are NHL calibre, they are mainly just lacking high end players.

Sure, they are playing a guy like Scott Sabourin but clearly they want this plug in their lineup, otherwise they'd play Mikkel Boedker over him. Boedker scored at a 40+ point pace last season, and has been especially successful on the power play in his career, so the fact that he's in their pressbox should speak for Jagr's chances of making their roster on any other team's roster.

I agree that Jagr could be useful on the PP still, but no team would be so desperate they'd put a 47 year old defensive liabilty on their 4th line only so he could play 30 seconds on their 2nd PP unit. If they had no one else for that role, they really ought to see over their top six.

The only reason anyone would bring in Jagr would be for PR reasons. But even the Florida Panthers, the team most desperate for PR attention, let him go 2.5 years ago when he was still somewhat productive.

Great points, I guess I'd just personally go for the PR midway through the season then. Have him be a player/coach, PR dude, stick him out there for powerplays every other game alongside some awful 4th line minutes.. as long as you're not trying to actively develop a prospect in his position, i guess I don't think it'd be the worst thing. If it's really ugly he just Forsbergs it, no worries.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Gulaš is a skilled undersized winger, much the type of sniper that often finds more success in Europe. Lack of hands never was the reason he's not in the NHL.

I never said anything about him lacking hands. He's a good sniper in Europe and would be a good sniper at the AHL level, but he wouldn't push any snipers playing top six minutes in the NHL out of their jobs.

My point is that Jagr scoring six points in six games in the Czech league isn't exactly screaming "NHL calibre player", even though it's still an impressive start for a 47 year old.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I think this is a legit question. I didn't answer, though, because:

1) I think Jagr is better than the "worst player in the NHL", so I'd have to vote yes.
2) The role that he would have to play (if the "worst" player is substituted by Jagr) is unsuitable for him, because his speed is gone. So he would do worse and hence I'd have to vote no.

If I were an NHL team owner hungry for publicity but with a lousy team, I'd definitely want to hire him for 1 season. Let him show to youngsters how to train and be professional and insulate his line with two fast skating juniors. And if you're defending a lead, give him the puck and tell him to go near the end boards in the offensive zone. With that magical ass of his he can spend the whole shift protecting the puck in the corner eating up precious seconds. He is still a bull at that part of the game. And if you lose, yeay for draft lottery probabilities!

99% sure that it won't happen and he stays in Kladno.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I never said anything about him lacking hands. He's a good sniper in Europe and would be a good sniper at the AHL level, but he wouldn't push any snipers playing top six minutes in the NHL out of their jobs.

That has more to do with other aspects of his game, not because his scoring ability wouldn't be up there. The style of play in the NHL shouldn't be used as a gold standard when judging players in Europe because it simply does not translate very well.

My point is that Jagr scoring six points in six games in the Czech league isn't exactly screaming "NHL calibre player", even though it's still an impressive start for a 47 year old.

Jágr is clearly too old to be anything like an impact player in the NHL, but I'd play him in a minimal role over a mere energy player like Deslauriers without thinking twice.

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
It's not even the speed that concerns me. It's the health. NHL schedule (travel) is more taxing than the Czech league, no? On the other hand, if he sits out more than just a couple of games, he will lose the rhythm.

In terms of pure ability, Jagr will never be worse than the worst 4th-liner in the league. The real problem is that he's much closer to a fragile old man than a pro athlete these days.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
4 last none injured seasons in the NHL & international level:

13-14: 24+44=68 (0.83 ppg) | 4+4=8 (0.80 ppg) at the worlds | 2+2=4 (0.80 ppg) at the olympics
14-15: 17+31=48 (0.61 ppg), thou 18 of them came in 20 games for Panthers (0.90 ppg) | 6+4=10 (1.00 ppg) at the worlds
15-16: 27+41=68 (0.86 ppg)
16-17: 16+32=48 (0.59 ppg)
---------------------------------
84 goals, 148 assists, 232 points (0.73 ppg) | 12 goals, 10 assists, 22 points (0.88 ppg)

The 5 on 5 game is too fast in the NHL nowadays for him thou, but if he would drop his weight to under 220, lets say, 215-218
to get even some speed back, would get a chance to play lots of PP (1st unit), would play mostly home games, only near by road games.

Lets say Rangers would sign him -> 41 home games + the games versus Islanders, 1st PP, 4th line,maybe try on 3rd line,
limit his 5 on 5 ice time if must, it could work. Trouba-Panarin-Jagr-Zibanejad-Kakko would be a dope PP unit thou...

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
That has more to do with other aspects of his game, not because his scoring ability wouldn't be up there. The style of play in the NHL shouldn't be used as a gold standard when judging players in Europe because it simply does not translate very well.

The point isn't weather Gulas is good enough or not for the NHL. I'm well aware that he's more skilled than several bottom six grinders in the NHL. However, OP is asking if Jagr could make the NHL at his age. My answer is why would NHL GM's sign a 47 year old Jagr, when they would never think about signing a soon 34 year old Gulas, who is a better player in the Czech league.

Jágr is clearly too old to be anything like an impact player in the NHL, but I'd play him in a minimal role over a mere energy player like Deslauriers without thinking twice.

Not to sound like a ****, but what YOU would do has no bearing on OP's question. In the modern NHL, teams still fill out their 4th lines with players that can forecheck and kill penalties. There's a few exceptions of skilled players playing 4th lines yes, but these are often young players.

Since I'm a Ducks fan I can easily talk about Deslauriers. The 4th line with Grant, Rowney and Deslauriers/Shore has been the Ducks best so far this season. Bob Murray and Dallas Eakins wouldn't replace either of them with a 47 year old Jagr, who is slow, can't forecheck, can't backcheck and can't kill penalties. Those guys makes a checking line. Replace either of them with Jagr and it's not longer a checking line, yet it's not a scoring line either.

Murray/Eakins could've have iced Daniel Sprong on the 4th line. He scored 14 goals in 47 games last season. Yet they decided to go with Deslauriers and took the risk of losing Sprong to waivers. And if the Ducks wanted a slow, aging scorer on the 4th line, all Murray had to do was to NOT buy out Corey Perry.

What you, I or anyone else would do is besides the point. No GM would sign him and no coach would use him, hence my answer to OP's question is no. It doesn't matter if he's still good enough or not, Jagr wouldn't make the NHL. Besides PR reasons, give me any good reason why any NHL team should sign Jagr over ... Thomas Vanek? Jason Pominville? Patrick Marleau?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He was terrible the last 2 (1.5 really) years of his career.
And that was 2 years ago.

Not a chance.

Why would you think he could?

46 points in 82 games is far from terrible. Especially when you consider how bad the Panthers were that year. He had 46 points, and the top scorer on the team had 54 points, not exactly a ton of support. Also - he was one of only 3 players out of the 34 who played for FLA to post a positive +/- that season. The season prior to that he had hit 66 points in 79 games, and finished 7th for Hart.

I think on a better team he could have ended up somewhere in between both those seasons the following year.

It's true that in Calgary he didn't do good at all - but he was injured all year and barely played 22 games.

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off to be honest.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The point isn't weather Gulas is good enough or not for the NHL. I'm well aware that he's more skilled than several bottom six grinders in the NHL. However, OP is asking if Jagr could make the NHL at his age. My answer is why would NHL GM's sign a 47 year old Jagr, when they would never think about signing a soon 34 year old Gulas, who is a better player in the Czech league.

But the Czech league isn't the NHL, the difference between the two is that Jágr has the skills to be a legendary player in both leagues. His limitations come merely from having lost too many steps due to aging. He remains a big man with great hands and a sharp hockey mind. Gulaš may still have his wheels on, but he never had those other dimensions beyond sniping. A Deslauriers doesn't have even that much. So if I was to play one of these three in the NHL it'd absolutely be Jágr with no hesitation. In the Czech league it might very well be Gulaš as we would be discussing a whole different role.

Not to sound like a ****, but what YOU would do has no bearing on OP's question. In the modern NHL, teams still fill out their 4th lines with players that can forecheck and kill penalties. There's a few exceptions of skilled players playing 4th lines yes, but these are often young players.

Sure there are plenty of excellent penalty killers with limited offensive ability in the NHL, but that was not the question. The question was whether Jágr is better than the very worst of the lot. Which he absolutely is, whether then you consider that to be Deslauriers or someone else.

What you, I or anyone else would do is besides the point. No GM would sign him and no coach would use him, hence my answer to OP's question is no. It doesn't matter if he's still good enough or not, Jagr wouldn't make the NHL. Besides PR reasons, give me any good reason why any NHL team should sign Jagr over ... Thomas Vanek? Jason Pominville? Patrick Marleau?

A Marleau could freely choose his address should he be willing to accept the most limited of roles for a league minimum pay. The reason why these players aren't in the league is because they expect more.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sure there are plenty of excellent penalty killers with limited offensive ability in the NHL, but that was not the question. The question was whether Jágr is better than the very worst of the lot. Which he absolutely is, whether then you consider that to be Deslauriers or someone else.

My interpretation is that OP is asking if Jagr would make any teams 4th line, as the 12th forward on any team (or actually he's asking about the worst team, but it's hard to say which team is worst 2-3 games into the season).

I won't deny that Anaheim, on paper, is one of the worst teams. And Deslauriers is indeed expected to play a lot of games on the 4th line this season. Again, I don't think Jagr would make the team over Deslauriers. BM even spent a 4th round pick to even get the guy. And again, if they wanted an offensive winger Sprong would've been given a chance. You could make the case that Jagr is better than Deslauriers and the likes of Michael Haley, if that's what OP is asking. But you could make the same case about a whole bunch of players currently in the minors.

UncleOscar

Feb 12, 2010
Austin, TX
Jagr is one of my favorite players ever, but if you took the name off the back of his jersey and asked people if that guy belonged in the NHL, almost everyone would say no.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really liked Jagr's time in Calgary. What rubbed off from him to some of the other players was amazing in terms of work ethic and possession/puck protection. He was playing in our top 9 and made the 3rd line look ridiculously interesting.

But as mentioned, he had no gas in the tank. The stamina/endurance wasn't there. He also got injured and didn't seem remotely close to being back to normal afterwards.

I have no doubt Jagr could come back and do really well in many teams middle 6, especially if paired with the right players. IMO, the only question is if you can get more than 40 solid games out of him before injuries and stamina wrecks his ability to play at an above average middle 6 level.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
He might be effective in the offensive zone, but there is no way he could keep up defensively and that is something you need of your fourth line players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad