Proposal: Could Horton be available?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I'm really happy with the roster as-is for now. There's going to be some rust at the start of the "season" and the B's are going to be in a much better position to handle it than most, due to the team having almost all played significant minutes together in the past.

Their cap situation isn't fantastic. But it's legal and it's the team I want to win with.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
But with Horton going the other way our salary for is less by about 2 million. Also, we get younger and increase our depth on D by a bunch thus leading to possible future trades. To me it would be worth it. The unseen bonus is that we don't have to worry about Horton's health.

Not sure I understand the logic.

1. Horton is a UFA after this season and you can opt out of keeping and paying for him in a few short months if that's what you want.

2. The Bruins don't have a salary cap problem this season (and probably not next) and there's no compulsion to deal Horton or anybody to get cap room or whatever.

3. Not sure you could get something to increase D depth "by a bunch" for Horton before the trade deadline. He would be a pure rental as an upcoming UFA. He has the concussion questions. There would not be a lot of time for him to re-establish premium trade value. And even if you found a good return on Defense, you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, by diminishing the offense, which has not been a juggernaut when he is not in the lineup.

4. Most importantly, this was a Cup winning team only 2 seasons ago. There quick exit last year was largely due to Cup hangover and, yes, injuries such as to Horton. With this short season and the mad scramble, I really like the idea of throwing most of the Cup winning lineup back into it and see if you can do it again. Horton may not have yet solidified a rep as true 1st line all-star, but he is an important part of the Bruins makeup. He's worth a lot more to us than he is as a trade chip IMO.

Not sure you are going to find a lot of interesting trades to make in the short-term. Teams will be thrilled to get back at it and see what happens in this odd-ball season. I just don't see the Bruins being able to make any interesting deals beyond adding a depth veteran before the end of this season. And since there's no need to dump Horton, why?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That's about right, unless I'm missing something.

I think you're missing Hamilton doubt he is one of the 15. But the new tweaks to the CBA I think means his hit won't be big. Same should go for Krug I assume so he wont cost 1.7 on the cap.

THat new rule about rookie bonuses should save us 2 mil if not more if Hamilton and Krug are in Boston at the same time.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
The cap hit for the Bruins next year stands at $57.3 million with 16 players under contract*, according to Capgeek.

* including Savard

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

So they are around $53M, with a cap of $64.3M, and with most key guys signed except Horton, Ference, Thomas, a few others. I think they're in good shape, plus have 2 opt out moves to make if they really want.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I think you're missing Hamilton doubt he is one of the 15. But the new tweaks to the CBA I think means his hit won't be big. Same should go for Krug I assume so he wont cost 1.7 on the cap.

THat new rule about rookie bonuses should save us 2 mil if not more if Hamilton and Krug are in Boston at the same time.

Hamilton, Dougie » EL SR $1,494,167 $1,494,167 $1,494,167 RFA

That's why I included the link to Capgeek.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
So they are around $53M, with a cap of $64.3M, and with most key guys signed except Horton, Ference, Thomas, a few others. I think they're in good shape, plus have 2 opt out moves to make if they really want.

Rask and Khudobin have contracts coming up. Chiarelli didn't go crazy chasing FAs and has made a habit of signing his players to fairly reasonable deals, thankfully. No Gomez albatross situations.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
we don't need to trade anyone for this season, and i seriously doubt we trade Horton for a D prospect. he's a free agent after this season, i hope we sign him back, he's a good fit here when healthy
The B's could use another D considering Hamilton isn't likely to get much ice time, initially but I agree Horton is a good fit here when he is healthy.With the shortened season I don't expect the B's to make too many moves.If Rask can give the B's solid goaltending ,this team ,with a little tinkering is good enough to compete for the Cup.I would love it if Tim came back for one last hurrah but it isn't likely to happen.:)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
How much room do they currently project to have heading into next season?

Put savard on LTIR and they will be 10mil under with Horton ference caron rask and a backup goalie. That's not even counting an extra forward or defenseman.

Krejci or Kelly will be dealt IMO.

This year will be the last run for this group.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Not sure I understand the logic. .................
And since there's no need to dump Horton, why?

Sorry for your confusion. My response was in response to the initial post asking if Horton would be available. In no way did I suggest that we "dump Horton". The return I asked for is 2 very good D prospects and a decent RW. If we keep Horton that's OK with me too.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Kelly has a full NTC, Krejci a modified one.

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

Yeah I see that now, I didn't know Kelly's was full... Shows you where Chiarelli was leaning at the time of those deals... 5.5 mil... Krejci can only pick 6 of the 30 teams not to get traded to... Seguin will be moved to center... Chiarelli for all the **** he takes (lots from me included) is always ahead of the curve...Always. God I will hate to see him go...but looks like thats what the "plan" may be .... Hope they can turn him into a Couturier/Voracek or Simmonds/Schenn.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yeah I see that now, I didn't know Kelly's was full... Shows you where Chiarelli was leaning at the time of those deals... 5.5 mil... Krejci can only pick 6 of the 30 teams not to get traded to... Seguin will be moved to center... Chiarelli for all the **** he takes (lots from me included) is always ahead of the curve...Always. God I will hate to see him go...but looks like thats what the "plan" may be .... Hope they can turn him into a Couturier/Voracek or Simmonds/Schenn.

I cannot see trading Krejci. Keep Seguin on the wing and keep that center depth; it's one of the pillars of the Bruins' foundation.

HF boards does not value Krejci the way the Bruins do.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

Chiarelli preys on dumb GM's. If I were him i'd target Jay Feaster. See if he'd trade Baertschi and their 1st for Krejci.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Maybe Chairelli let’s Horton/Ference walk or trades the likes of McQuaid, Paille, Campbell, or Thornton for cheaper role players. I don’t think trading Krejci is set in stone, but from the top six he is probably the one I feel the most comfortable trading assuming Seguin continues to grow into our top offensive player.

GodTukka*

Get rid of Boychuk if you need to

3+ million is a horrid caphit for him.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Get rid of Boychuk if you need to

3+ million is a horrid caphit for him.

Boychuk can only be traded to 8 teams he names this year. Fact is, he plays the third most minutes on the team that's a big hole to fill with no one waiting to fill it (please don't say Dougie Hamilton).

GodTukka*

No, it's too early to slot Dougie into that big of a role

I'm just saying if i absolutely had to move someone he'd be the one to go.

Or Krejci as i don't believe either are worth the pricetag

Of course then the NMCs and that kick in and whatnot

Guess just wait and see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad