Proposal: Could Horton be available?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Hey guys. Pens fan coming in peace with the lockout seemingly over :handclap::yo: .

With Boston needing to clear some salary in the not so distant future and Horton having been, I suppose, somewhat less than hoped, could he conceivably be dealt?

The Pens have only D to offer, in the shape of either Martin or Niskanen for the here and now... and Martin of course doesn't do anything for you because of his cap-hit. As regards futures on the other hand there are a lot of good/very good D prospects on the Pens which would be beneficial in so far as they are cheap cap-wise and it would seem an area where the Bruins are somewhat questionable on the farm after Hamilton.

Horton would be a RH shot for our PP and brings some size to the top6. Should work well with Crosby.

What you say, anything there or would it be solely for 2013-2014 when the cap ramifications hit home?

GodTukka*

Hey guys. Pens fan coming in peace with the lockout seemingly over :handclap::yo: .

With Boston needing to clear some salary in the not so distant future and Horton having been, I suppose, somewhat less than hoped, could he conceivably be dealt?

The Pens have only D to offer, in the shape of either Martin or Niskanen for the here and now... and Martin of course doesn't do anything for you because of his cap-hit. As regards futures on the other hand there are a lot of good/very good D prospects on the Pens which would be beneficial in so far as they are cheap cap-wise and it would seem an area where the Bruins are somewhat questionable on the farm after Hamilton.

Horton would be a RH shot for our PP and brings some size to the top6. Should work well with Crosby.

What you say, anything there or would it be solely for 2013-2014 when the cap ramifications hit home?

I'd much rather deal Krejci if Horton comes back to form.

He's not worth the 5 million he's making,

Unless if you give us back like Letang, then maybe :P

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
The team we have is locked in until the deadline (whenever that is) in my opinion.

Good to see it took one post after the lockout ended before people resumed running Krech out of town. I hope he tears.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Take him and whatever else you want for Malkin.

but in reality I doubt it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The team we have is locked in until the deadline (whenever that is) in my opinion.

Good to see it took one post after the lockout ended before people resumed running Krech out of town. I hope he tears.

haha, how long do ya think the first "Julien is ruining Hamilton" thread makes an appearance unified??

I`m guessing 2 weeks......and even less with some proclaiming DH is a bust:sarcasm:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
haha, how long do ya think the first "Julien is ruining Hamilton" thread makes an appearance unified??

I`m guessing 2 weeks......and even less with some proclaiming DH is a bust:sarcasm:

I'm guessing 2 shifts. We've been spoiled with the defensive show we get every year. I didn't realize how raw his game still is in his own end. A solid system, a good coach, and being around consummate professionals like Seids, Bergy and Chara will do him a world of difference. Got to love what he brings in the offensive zone though.

As for a Horton trade, the B's would need a real solid package of prospects to get this done. I'm sure Chiarelli is looking at ways to shed cap and upgrade where he can. I'm curious what kinda package Pitt fans would put together involving prospects (preferably D prospects).

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Which player will be the one everyone hates on now ?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm guessing 2 shifts. We've been spoiled with the defensive show we get every year. I didn't realize how raw his game still is in his own end. A solid system, a good coach, and being around consummate professionals like Seids, Bergy and Chara will do him a world of difference. Got to love what he brings in the offensive zone though.

As for a Horton trade, the B's would need a real solid package of prospects to get this done. I'm sure Chiarelli is looking at ways to shed cap and upgrade where he can. I'm curious what kinda package Pitt fans would put together involving prospects (preferably D prospects).

Cap space not a huge issue yet plus, I`m not one bit convinced Horty is worth a nickle to anyone until he shows he is willing to play the way that makes him valuable on the ice and if he does that, not exactly the kind of player that Chia would be willing to part with quickly

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
For what we gave up for Horton, doubt we let him go. + That would completely mess our "roll three scoring lines" and would create another gaping whole for Chia to fill.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
we don't need to trade anyone for this season, and i seriously doubt we trade Horton for a D prospect. he's a free agent after this season, i hope we sign him back, he's a good fit here when healthy

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

we don't need to clear room this season and he'll be a UFA after it. Also I wouldn't say he has been "less than hoped". He had some legendary goals during our cup run and is a bit of a cult figure here. If it comes down to it and we can't afford him once the cap drops we'll probably just let him walk so I'd say he's not available.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Feels good talking about something hockey related knowing we will finally see some action pretty soon.

With football ending soon, I would have gone crazy without nothing to watch.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I really like Horton but if the pens would give up Despres, Dumoulin, and Veilleux, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think we are deep enough to absorb losing him. I'm also considering the fact that there might be some nice players available after buy-outs.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I really like Horton but if the pens would give up Despres, Dumoulin, and Veilleux, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think we are deep enough to absorb losing him. I'm also considering the fact that there might be some nice players available after buy-outs.

Nice players available after buy-outs aren't going to be available to teams like the Bruins. They're already scraping next year's ceiling.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Nice players available after buy-outs aren't going to be available to teams like the Bruins. They're already scraping next year's ceiling.

How much room do they currently project to have heading into next season?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Kind of like a defenseman for us. I don't think we CAN give Horton away without getting another 1st line RW.

We could move Seguin and Pevs up, but this team thrives on depth. I'd prefer Pevs on the third line.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I would like to point out that without Horton the Bruins were not the goal scoring machine the way they were before he was re-injured. I'm also not saying that Horton is the sole reason for the Bruins scoring so well last year, it is the balance and the ability to have 9 guys in the lineup who could score 20 goals or more. Without him they had to adjust the lineup and the goals didn't come so easily.

If the Bruins were going to trade Horton to Pittsburgh there is Neal, Letang, Crosby and Malkin who would make the Bruins a better team in spite of the loss of Horton and sorry, but I don't see the Penguins trading those guys.

I'm not much interested in trading the possibility of another Cup for a very good prospect. I think Horton makes the Bruins much more of a threat than a prospect defenseman who likely won't make the team this year.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If Horton can stay fairly healthy we need this guy both this year and after, we are short on supply at forward with guys who have both size and skill outside of Lucic and Horton.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

I'm not too sure how much cap space the Bruins are going to need. They will have Savard's $4 million on LTIR and they will be $7-8 million under the cap next year with what they have now and they will need to sign 6 players. Obviously they will be either trading a forward or not re-signing Horton. Ference will also be a UFA along with Khudobin while Rask and Caron will both be RFA's.

My bet is they re-sign Rask and then go from there. The Bruins will have several forward prospects who may very well be ready to compete for a job in Boston next year as well.

Just as a guess if the re-sign Rask for $5 million, Caron for $1.25, Spooner joins the team for $875,000, Knight at $875,000, $1 million on Khudobin or Svedberg as a backup goaltender, that still leaves approximately $3 million to sign Ference or a D to take his place.

Chances are the Penguins can sign Horton in the offseason unless they figure out a way to keep him past this season.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Pittsburgh is the last team we'd trade him to. We don't want any of their players not named Malkin. The draft picks likely aren't great. He'd walk as a UFA before we trade him to a conference rival.

A western conference team is possibly another story.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH

But with Horton going the other way our salary for is less by about 2 million. Also, we get younger and increase our depth on D by a bunch thus leading to possible future trades. To me it would be worth it. The unseen bonus is that we don't have to worry about Horton's health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad