Speculation: Could Chiarelli do the unthinkable and draft Jack Eichel as #1 overall?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Everybody is assuming Edmonton is going to pick Connor McDavid with the #1 pick but I have a feeling Chia is going to shock everyone and pick Jack Eichel instead.

Chia was at Agganis Arena many times this past season watching Jack ( and others ) and he has a fondness for players who decide to go the NCAA route over the CHL.

The Canadian media has fallen in love with McDavid but is he the better player?

I have chatted with several scouts this past season and they all said Eichel is showing he can dominate against older players and McDavid they are not completely sold on.

The unknown here is did Edmonton ownership tell him he must pick McDavid or did they agree that that would give Peter the final say.

:popcorn:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are you sober ?

Sadly yes

Let's be honest here - IF Eichel was from Ontario and not Massachusetts the debate in Canada would be fierce. But nationality should not matter, we are talking about the best possible player.

McDavid in Buffalo would be a nightmare for the Leafs.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I have chatted with several scouts this past season and they all said Eichel is showing he can dominate against older players and McDavid they are not completely sold on.

I seriously doubt any scout actually said that but if they did ( and they were completely sober at the time ) then they should be fired immediately.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Let's be honest here - IF Eichel was from Ontario and not Massachusetts the debate in Canada would be fierce.

Come on now - McDavid could be from Outer Mongolia and still be ranked ahead of Eichel. Don't forget - the American media is ranking McDavid ahead of Eichel too.

But nationality should not matter, we are talking about the best possible player.

It kind of sounds like nationality here is a bit of a problem for you. :dunno:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I seriously doubt any scout actually said that but if they did ( and they were completely sober at the time ) then they should be fired immediately.

For a FRESHMAN to dominate in NCAA like Jack did is rare. He has done well in IIHF tournaments - I am only suggesting given Chia's background he has to be considering it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Come on now - McDavid could be from Outer Mongolia and still be ranked ahead of Eichel. Don't forget - the American media is ranking McDavid ahead of Eichel too.

It kind of sounds like nationality here is a bit of a problem for you. :dunno:

It isn't nationality that drives my question, it is the bigger issue of CHL vs NCAA for development. Right now Towes is the poster child for the NCAA camp.

Another part of the equation is where will Jack play next year? He has not closed the door on returning to BU and could possibly be a linemate of Sean MacTavish (son of Craig) next season.

I am only suggesting Chia is a huge fan of the NCAA system.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
It's not entirely out of the question. Eichel is going to be very, very, good.

And McDavid has already had some injury problems.

And it would be another opportunity for Chiarelli to show he's The Smartest Guy In The Room (tm).

Unfortunately, the last time he tried to show that (the Seguin trade), it came back to bite him hard in the ass.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The interesting thing is that Eichel is perfectly built for the West. Literally a perfect fit. But McDavid is McDavid.

I highly doubt Chia takes the risk. He'd be laughed out of hockey if it didn't come off.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I would think if they are entertaining the idea of Eichel, and I think they are. I think the OP hit it spot on, Chia loved Eichel when he was here. No indication however that he doesn't love McDavid more. That being said, I think if they are entertaining the idea of Eichel, they will trade down to the #2 spot and pickup an extra 1st round pick in the process.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
He could go to Buffalo and say well you know I could pick Eichel and leave you with MacDavid for (#@$#@). :)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Everybody is assuming Edmonton is going to pick Connor McDavid with the #1 pick but I have a feeling Chia is going to shock everyone and pick Jack Eichel instead.

Chia was at Agganis Arena many times this past season watching Jack ( and others ) and he has a fondness for players who decide to go the NCAA route over the CHL.

The Canadian media has fallen in love with McDavid but is he the better player?

The unknown here is did Edmonton ownership tell him he must pick McDavid or did they agree that that would give Peter the final say.

:popcorn:

Maybe that happens, I don't know. However, if it does IMO it'll cost Buffalo very decent assets/picks to make it happen -- to the point that all other GMs would consider the move a "no brainer". Very unlikely Chia makes a high profile high risk move right off the bat.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I've heard Chia on the radio twice in 2 weeks, and both times he's said:

1) It's McDavid at #1

2) Their other 1st rounder is in play, and they're getting a lot of offers for it

3) They want to sign or trade for several "middle age" players, but meaning middle age for hockey (25-30)

Last edited:

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
If he does he will be fired

What if he can pull Risto+A prospect+ 2nd overall?

McDavid will be better then Eichel but they are building a team from the ground up and the point difference between both players individually might not be enough of a despariry for this not to be an option.

If you can turn McDavid(potential #1 C) into another potential #1C(Eichel) and potential #1 D(Risto) as well as another roster player it should be a thought that crosses his mind.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

McDavid will be better then Eichel but they are building a team from the ground up and the point difference between both players individually might not be enough of a despariry for this not to be an option.

If you can turn McDavid(potential #1 C) into another potential #1C(Eichel) and potential #1 D(Risto) as well as another roster player it should be a thought that crosses his mind.

Then he isn't picking Eichel #1. There is no Chance Eichel goes before Mcdavid.

There might be a 1% chance Chiarelli trades #1.

So it is exponentially if not infinitely more likely Chia trades the pick compared to taking Eichel #1

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

that's different, this thread is about him drafting Eichel #1, so no extra assets by dropping to #2.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
For a FRESHMAN to dominate in NCAA like Jack did is rare. He has done well in IIHF tournaments - I am only suggesting given Chia's background he has to be considering it.

Even if Eichel was viewed to be the same talent as Mcdavid the reason Mcdavid will be picked first is his makeup. He's more mature off the ice.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Even if Eichel was viewed to be the same talent as Mcdavid the reason Mcdavid will be picked first is his makeup. He's more mature off the ice.

Id agree with this. Not saying Eichel is necessarily immature, but McDavid has that Toews-like focused mature aura to him. Very intense dude.

I'd liken it to the attitude difference between Hall and Seguin at the draft; only instead of Eichel having a negative party hard thing going on, you have McDavid who is just.... heads and shoulders way above ant realistic expectation

Not to mention, I find Eichels noncommittal attitude to nhl vs NCAA next year really... off putting. Raises red flags for me. I think the NCAA Schultz /Reilly/ Wheeler factor is potentially more dangerous than the Russian factor.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Usually agree with what you have to say Fenway but there is absolutely no way McDavid isn't going first. As good as Eichel is, if Chiarelli didn't pick McDavid it'd make the Seguin fiasco look like nothing. Likely go down as one of the worst GM moves of all time.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
McDavid has had too much hype over the years. Buffalo's tank sadly succeeded and they are getting a franchise center at #2 also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad