Could Baertschi make the Swiss Olympic team?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I voted no, but then I realized it was the Swiss team. How deep is this team, really?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I voted no, but then I realized it was the Swiss team. How deep is this team, really?

Forward is definately the worst spot for the Swiss, defense isn't terrible and goaltending, with Hiller and (possibly) Berra, is actually good.
The only good Swiss forward I can think of is Brunner, Niederreiter has a high ceiling but I don't think he's ready for Olympic competition.
Brunner and Baertschi are the only two Swiss forwards in the NHL. Niederreiter is a question mark for this season. Wonder if Minnesota will give him a chance.
Defense, with Streit, Sbisa and Josi isn't bad.

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
I know Berra played in the World Championship, but any chance he is the starter? If I recall he played a couple but there was someone ahead of him.

Also yes to the Bartschi making the Olympics. Easy yes.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
International tournaments aren't all about who has more NHLers in their lineup. The Swiss did very well with their WC roster which probably improved a lot of guys' stock. Sven should still definitely make it though and I think he will do very well.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He will definitely be in their top 6 if healthy. Despite the lack of known talent the Swish always show up and play well when it comes to international tournaments.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Of course he makes it.

Sven Bärtschi - Kevin Romy - Damien Brunner
Reto Suri - Denis Hollenstein - Nino Niederreiter
Roman Wick - Martin Plüss - Sven Andrighetto
Thibaut Monnet - Ryan Gardner -Julien Sprunger

Luca Sbisa - Roman Josi
Mark Streit - Raphael Díaz
Mirco Müller - Yannick Weber

Jonas Hiller
Reto Berra
Martin Gerber

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
International tournaments aren't all about who has more NHLers in their lineup. The Swiss did very well with their WC roster which probably improved a lot of guys' stock. Sven should still definitely make it though and I think he will do very well.

Yeah, one of the strong points of the Swiss team has always been that their players all train/play together so much; Sven doesn't get that opportunity. That said, I don't think they'll mind opening up one spot for him, given his skill level.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

For 2010, they brought a WHL defensemen to play for them. I highly doubt they will leave a NHL forward at home.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
A lot has happened in Swiss Icehockey in the last few years, especially this year. I have no doubt that Bärtschi will be part of the team if he's healthy and he plays (even if he plays AHL). But I don't think he's a lock, if he doesn't play well, gets benched, whatever, there are others who have enough skills to replace an out-of-shape Sven.

I also think Berra will be there, also depends on where he plays and how much he gets to play. In my opinion the 3 goalies are almost clear, Hiller, Berra and Martin Gerber.

And a lot has to happen until we need again a WHL-player. Mirco Müller is not yet ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad