OT: Could an NBA Team Thrive in Montreal? And if so, What Would we Name Them?

NBA Team in Montreal?

• Total voters

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We could 100% have an NFL team
NBA maybe
Baseball no, as much as i want them back

to me montreal could EASILY fill up 50 000 seats 8 times a year every sunday, no doubt
Basketball, theyd be playing in the bell center, it COULD work, but need the die hard fans..might be lacking
And then baseball ... i dont see us filling 50k seats enough on tuesdays..wednesdays...thursdays... 81 ..times?

Molson & co would be drooling.

Although, it's a nightmare in logistics. Fortunetly the tight cooperation between the NBA and NHL, mainly because of Bettman, makes it less of a hassle.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think so.

I don't know if there is enough money in the city. Its one thing for corporations to support the Habs they are an institution, but is there enough extra for these companies to throw down $$$ for a b ball team? I don' think so. And if you can't sign these guys to there 20 Mill a year deals then the team will just be a bottom feeder anyways. Top it off that the NBA is the worst for parity and Montreal is a bandwagon city I don't see it going over well.

And flame away but Quebec is kinda racist. Not sure how many people in this province would be willing to support a team made up of mainly African Americans with zero french representation from top to bottom. I mean where are we going to find a french GM and french coach, and forget about any french players on the team.
ever went to the states ? my guess is no. never.

Yeah, we saw it here, black people like P.K. were hated, and all the kneeling due to canadiana racists or something...

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Isnt 3x3 basketball getting huge internationally? Is there a N/A league? With the sport being at the Olympics soon, Montréal should get involved profesionnally. Would cost less than an NBA franchise and people would watch, I think

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Yes i agree, but let's disband the CFL and add 3 NFL teams off the bat, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver. No other Canadian cities would be NFL compatible anyways.
I wouldn't disband the CFL... I would keep it as an NFL minor league (similar to what the NBA has done with the G-league). Montreal + Toronto lose their teams but I would add a bunch more in smaller cities.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
The Warriors are entertaining, basketball is not.

The contrast between the last minute of a hockey game down by one and a basketball game down by a bucket could not be greater. One game is edge of your seat and one game slows down the pace.

Yes you're right. This isn't just opinion based at all and is proven by the fact of how popular hockey is in the North American market. Basketball definitely has wayyyy fewer fans... oh, wait...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How is this allowed? Terrible post. Lol anglos literally murdered and raped their way to conquer Nouvelle-France and packed Natives in reserves to die (both culturally and physically) but we're the racist people. Mods please...

Who says its just Franco's.

Quebec has its fair share of bigots.

The Daily — Police-reported hate crime, 2016

he national trend driven by more reported offences in Quebec and British Columbia and fewer in Ontario and Alberta

Among the provinces, the greatest increase in the absolute number of police-reported hate crimes was observed in Quebec, where incidents rose from 270 in 2015 to 327 in 2016. This increase was mostly attributable to more hate crimes targeting Arabs and West Asians, the Jewish population and sexual orientation.
British Columbia also reported more hate crimes, rising from 164 to 211. The increase was attributable to crimes against the East or Southeast Asian and South Asian populations, which doubled from 2015 to 2016 (from 15 to 32 and from 11 to 24, respectively).
In contrast, the number of police-reported hate crimes in Alberta declined from 193 in 2015 to 139 in 2016 due to fewer crimes targeting religion.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

he national trend driven by more reported offences in Quebec and British Columbia and fewer in Ontario and Alberta

Among the provinces, the greatest increase in the absolute number of police-reported hate crimes was observed in Quebec, where incidents rose from 270 in 2015 to 327 in 2016. This increase was mostly attributable to more hate crimes targeting Arabs and West Asians, the Jewish population and sexual orientation.
British Columbia also reported more hate crimes, rising from 164 to 211. The increase was attributable to crimes against the East or Southeast Asian and South Asian populations, which doubled from 2015 to 2016 (from 15 to 32 and from 11 to 24, respectively).
In contrast, the number of police-reported hate crimes in Alberta declined from 193 in 2015 to 139 in 2016 due to fewer crimes targeting religion.

Ive seen these numbers on radiocanada.ca. But did you factor in that there are 2 times more people in Qc than in AB? And we're talking about three hundred racist actions for a 8+ million population... if we're being generous and supposing these racist acts have been made by 327 different persons, which I doubt, it gives us roughly 0.003980523% of the total population... Lets just say Im not sure that Id come to the same conclusion as yours.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

keep them in a racism-free environment, in the US. cause QC is so much worse than everybody else. No wonder people are fleeing out the province, and it's the right thing to do!

get out before it's too late! run!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Ive seen these numbers on radiocanada.ca. But did you factor in that there are 2 times more people in Qc than in AB? And we're talking about three hundred racist actions for a 8+ million population... if we're being generous and supposing these racist acts have been made by 327 different persons, which I doubt, it gives us roughly 0.003980523% of the total population... Lets just say Im not sure that Id come to the same conclusion as yours.

I will take back the statement and recognize it is offensive.

Apr 28, 2010
Interesting.

If Montreal has a basketball team, they could be the Vegas Golden Knights of the NBA. So why not?

Might have to look up every NBA team and their potential protected/exposed list, assuming they'd do it the NHL expansion draft way.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Racism has nothing to do with entertainment. People paid the big bucks to see Ali in the 60ies because he was entertaining, people will pay to see LBJ at the Bell Centre for the same reason.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I will take back the statement and recognize it is offensive.

Im grateful for it. I would also like to apologize for my aggressive tone. I shall do the same as you with my inital post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad