WJC: Could a Top 10 NHL netminder lead...

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
I think a healthy Switzerland with Luongo in net could do it. The other teams? I think that junior kids are still pretty good on breakaways, and there might be a lot of them. (Maybe Slovakia some years, but not this year)

Spence334

Dec 23, 2008
The swiss made it to the semis so with a NHL tender I think it is very possible

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
Perhaps Switzerland.

Other teams such as Latvia or Austria. No chance in Hell. Who would score the goals. Also NHL goalies playing on these teams would still get lit up, just not as bad.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
I definitely think a top 10 goalie could let Slovakia take gold. They have very strong forwards between Hossa, Gaborik, Palffy, and Demitra, as well as a bit of depth with Satan, Handzus, Stumpel, Zednik, and Kopecky.

But what really stands out to me is Slovakia's defense. The forwards are all old and don't seem to be being replaced, however they have a top defense core on paper with Visnovsky and Chara, which is complimented by Meszaros, Sekera, and Jurcina. Top 4 D Slovakia is one of the strongest teams in the tourney on paper, I'd put only Canada ahead of them.

If Slovakia had a top goalie this year I think they could do some serious damage, olympics in the future, however, I think they will be very, very weak.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
I definitely think a top 10 goalie could let Slovakia take gold. They have very strong forwards between Hossa, Gaborik, Palffy, and Demitra, as well as a bit of depth with Satan, Handzus, Stumpel, Zednik, and Kopecky.

But what really stands out to me is Slovakia's defense. The forwards are all old and don't seem to be being replaced, however they have a top defense core on paper with Visnovsky and Chara, which is complimented by Meszaros, Sekera, and Jurcina. Top 4 D Slovakia is one of the strongest teams in the tourney on paper, I'd put only Canada ahead of them.

If Slovakia had a top goalie this year I think they could do some serious damage, olympics in the future, however, I think they will be very, very weak.

This thread is referring to the WJC.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
either Latvia, Austria, Slovakia or Switzerland to a gold medal? Is it possible?

ya probably

you know in the movie Matrix where Neo dodges all those bullets ... everything would be slow-mo for the goalie

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
No, even with Switzerland going to the semifinals. They just scored 1 goal. Even Luongo would let two goals in.

pouskin74*

you mean old and wasted Satan,Palffy,Demitra,Zednik,Stumpel ?! all they got right now is just a NAMES .....
BTW: my answer is NO WAY !

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Perhaps Switzerland.

Other teams such as Latvia or Austria. No chance in Hell. Who would score the goals. Also NHL goalies playing on these teams would still get lit up, just not as bad.

Well, Switzerland was no better at scoring than Latvia was. The Swiss had 19 while Latvia had 17 with one less game. Either way Latvia wouldn't stand a chance. Sure their goaltending was by far their biggest weakness, but the defense was not much better. I don't think an NHL tender could stop 65 shots a game either.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
No.
Take Switzerland, put Brodeur, Hasek AND Roy, all in their prime, in the net at once and that team would surely make it to the final.

But with Canada's knack for scoring junk goals when needed the most in the WJC, Canada would still win by one goal.

Note I am note knocking Canada, I love how they score out of nothing. As long as it is not against Sweden.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
No chance, even Switzerland the best of these teams this year only scored a total of one goal in its three games against Canada and the US. They were outscored 15-1 againts the NA teams, no goalie is going to make up that kind of difference. In order to win an NHL goalie would have to have a shutout every game, and that's not realistic.

filek

Oct 2, 2009
Well, Switzerland was no better at scoring than Latvia was. The Swiss had 19 while Latvia had 17 with one less game. Either way Latvia wouldn't stand a chance. Sure their goaltending was by far their biggest weakness, but the defense was not much better. I don't think an NHL tender could stop 65 shots a game either.

unless it's roloson vs maple leafs

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
What people forget is that many of these kids nearly have NHL calibre shots. The rest of their game is lacking in most cases, but the shot is typically there. I'm not sure that an NHL goalie would be enough of an improvement to be counted on to stop the 50+ shots that would be coming his way. But with a good goalie anything can happen.

Lifer

Dec 29, 2009
Minnesota
What people forget is that many of these kids nearly have NHL calibre shots. The rest of their game is lacking in most cases, but the shot is typically there. I'm not sure that an NHL goalie would be enough of an improvement to be counted on to stop the 50+ shots that would be coming his way. But with a good goalie anything can happen.

Pretty much spot on here. I've always felt that at the earlier stages of elite development elite offensive skill trumps elite defensive skill, especially when it's a team like the Swiss or Latvians playing defense. It doesn't matter who would be in net because they would still be hung out to dry.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
I think some people are understating the difference between an elite NHL goalie and a junior goalie. That said, you still need to score goals to win a game.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
People are quick to forget that Conz was phenomenal this tournament.

He was fantastic, but it's hard to say he played better than Luongo or Brodeur could have given the same situation.

Given these circumstances, could Luongo or any other elite goaltender in the NHL lead the Swiss or any other team mentioned to a gold medal?

I'd say probably not though. Hockey is a team sport, and if your defense lets you down at any level, the goaltender will get beat eventually.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Slovakia has decent goaltending in Halak and Budaj; I could see them winning gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad