Friedman: Cost of trading for Chris Tanev is "very high"

Status
Not open for further replies.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
"There's been a lot of talk about Chris Tanev and the Vancouver Canucks," Friedman said. "The one thing I’ve heard is other GMs who say they’ve reached out to Vancouver have been told this is no guarantee and if Chris Tanev is going anywhere the price is going to be very high for him. He’s got three more years under contract. He’s a good player at a good price. I don’t think Vancouver is looking to do this unless it's a great deal."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rumour-roundup-asking-price-high-canucks-chris-tanev/

AnArmchairScout

Jun 18, 2016
Trading Tanev to make the team younger for a rebuild? Nah, that just makes to much sense. - Canucks Management.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Makes sense. Dmen are a highly valued commodity, and Tanev is a solid middle pairing guy signed to a good contract and given that he was a bit of a late bloomer, its fair IMO to say he's still in the middle of his prime.

Not a guy you want to give away cheaply. But at the same time, Vancouver isn't in a position where they aren't contending for 2-3 years or more at least. It might be worth it to trade Tanev for a great futures package instead.

But if they dont get something really great I think keeping him is a good play as well. Edler on the other hand. He needs to go.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He's in his prime. It makes theoretical sense to trade him for futures but I'm completely fine with keeping him too. It is so painful to watch our d-core play any time Tanev is out

Edler should be traded though. He's shown that he can still play and throw his body around during his time with Sweden

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
This is actually smart for benning for a change. Make it seem like it's a high price and entice people to offer high value. If it doesn't happen you habe next year in a better draft plus Tanev can improve value even more.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
That's nice. Keep him and suck the next 3 years.

That is an option. Rebuilding teams need to shelter and surround their young players with reliable vets, and Tanev is the perfect player for that. He's very poised, consistent, great in his own zone, and makes everyone he plays with better.

There's no reason to move him for anything short of a severe overpayment.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is actually smart for benning for a change. Make it seem like it's a high price and entice people to offer high value. If it doesn't happen you habe next year in a better draft plus Tanev can improve value even more.

It's only smart if he executes, which he doesn't seem to do very often. Wasting 3 years of Tanev when they could tank, finish lower in the standings, and get a top young player would be terrible. Even if it's only a Kapanen/A.Nylander type player and a mid 1st; it would be a big haul for them.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
It's only smart if he executes, which he doesn't seem to do very often. Wasting 3 years of Tanev when they could tank, finish lower in the standings, and get a top young player would be terrible. Even if it's only a Kapanen/A.Nylander type player and a mid 1st; it would be a big haul for them.

Leafs would not do kapanen and 1st. Doubt buffalo does it either

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't doubt that VAN is holding out for a big haul in return for Tanev, the better question though is what does Benning consider "a lot"?

With his record there is a decent chance he gets giddy at trading Tanev + 2nd for a 3rd + 4th round pick.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
For once I agree with Benning, he has no rush to deal him at his term/age, so why not sit back and listen to calls until someone offers up a deal too good to pass up?

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I don't doubt that VAN is holding out for a big haul in return for Tanev, the better question though is what does Benning consider "a lot"?

With his record there is a decent chance he gets giddy at trading Tanev + 2nd for a 3rd + 4th round pick.

Do you have an example of such, or are just talking out of your ass?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
you don't give away a D man like Tanev, one of the very best shut down D man in the NHL. He's a huge addition to a team thats competing.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
May someone please explain to me why there's this urgency to trade Tanev?

I'll want him moved by the end of his contract, but why now?

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
May someone please explain to me why there's this urgency to trade Tanev?

I'll want him moved by the end of his contract, but why now?

NTC kicks in July 1st. It only includes a list of 8 teams he can't be traded to tho...

There's really no urgency, move him only if it's a overpayment..

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
NTC kicks in July 1st. It only includes a list of 8 teams he can't be traded to tho...

There's really no urgency, move him only if it's a overpayment..

That's a non-issue. 23 is a pretty damn big number of teams, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the teams on Tanev's "do not trade" list would be rebuilding teams that don't want to trade young assets for him in the first place.

Take your time Jim, and get this one done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad