Value of: Cost of a Marcus Pettersson type to NJD? (provide examples of guys)

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Unfortunately, there aren't many left handed defensive defensemen available. McNabb might be one if the Golden Knights have to shed salary.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What would the offer be from NJD for the actual Marcus Pettersson?

If the Pens are going to stick with the status quo behind the bench and with the roster (and I dont think there are major changes of any type coming) and just ride the decline, then I dont give a fig about trading him in-division and would rather maximize value on any assets that still have value.

I'd offer flexibility too, given Jersey's off year shows sometimes setbacks happen. Something like a 2025 first, top 12 protected?
I'd offer the 2025 1st (presumably playoff protected but I'm confident enough that it could be pushed down, I'm not an expert in how much the conditions would be worth/impactful)+Kevin Bahl for Pettersson.

If there is any retention involved in the deal it would be paid for at whatever the market rate is.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I watched Pettersson and Marino for a long time.

I guess we can pretend Devils fans knew more about Marino then me. Kinda funny how he's gonna through exactly what I predicted.

It’s even more funny when you take these victory laps like Marino wasn’t incredible last year. Yeah he wasn’t good this year, neither was 75% of the roster.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Zadorov might be expensive, but he's better than Smith.

Why not potentially add Trenin and Zadorov ?

The Devils don't really have someone on the backend you really gotta watch out for. Zadorov in 53 gamed with Vancouver would be 2nd on the devils d for hits. He's a solid option and I can't imagine people are willing to give him a long-term contract, so 1, maybe 2 years is something that could potentially be done with him.

If he's like 4 mill for 4 years, then the Devils should pass, but if he's 1, or 2 years at 3...
I think I'd do zadorov if he doesn't get too pricey. How are his breakout passes?

I don't think I can watch another play where brendan smith gathers the puck behind the net, waits 10 seconds with no pressure on him, then still manages to ice the puck somehow.

Trenin is at the absolute TOP of my personal wish list for forwards

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s even more funny when you take these victory laps like Marino wasn’t incredible last year. Yeah he wasn’t good this year, neither was 75% of the roster.

Must be cool to be labeled "incredible" when you are on the ice for 18 goals against in 12 playoff games.

You know. If this is your logic. Pettersson and Marino would be INCREDIBLE for the Devils!

I think I'd do zadorov if he doesn't get too pricey. How are his breakout passes?

I don't think I can watch another play where brendan smith gathers the puck behind the net, waits 10 seconds with no pressure on him, then still manages to ice the puck somehow.

Trenin is at the absolute TOP of my personal wish list for forwards

If I'm the Devils, I probably target Hague out of Vegas for Bahl or Holtz over Zadorov.

Hughes, Hague, Siegs is a nice LHD to compliment Hamilton Marino Nemec.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Must be cool to be labeled "incredible" when you are on the ice for 18 goals against in 12 playoff games.

Nice, now we’re moving the goalposts and talking contextless 12 game sample sizes.

I understand that Marino wrecked your home or called you a poopy head or something, but your obsession is tiresome.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nice, now we’re moving the goalposts and talking contextless 12 game sample sizes.

I understand that Marino wrecked your home or called you a poopy head or something, but your obsession is tiresome.

I'm think Marino is a fine # 4 defenseman with obvious weaknesses below the circles.

We are talking Pettersson - Marino because a Devils fan brought it up. Giving my 2 cents on the pairing is not obsession.

Once again "Witness" rocks.

Isn't Petterson a rental?

Yes.

Reactions: Forge

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Skjei is too expensive, but I would consider Dillon or even Zadorov. Grzelcyk isn't a player the Devils should target.

Walker and Roy are going to get a lot of money and term. I don't know why you want to pay them when the Devils already have Hamilton, Marino and Nemec on the right side.
For me it's all about term on the RD guys, if they're getting more than 2 years the Devils shouldn't be involved at all. If it's for 1 year for some guys or 2 at the most, they should consider it. Simply because with Hamilton missing most of the season I wouldn't count on him staying healthy. So maybe I'd have to scratch Walker and Roy off the list as they likely will get 3+ year deals.

I mentioned players on the left that would be clear upgrades on the left side, Zadorov would be the one I'd push hardest for, and Grzelcyk would be the lowest but I'd rather give him a deal than trade high picks or Mercer/Holtz to get someone better.

I do agree Skjei likely get priced out of NJ's range though but it'd be nice.

I'm simply attempting to say that there will be options on the back end that you could at least try for before giving up assets you may need to fill other holes in the roster. If they give up their 1st and Holtz to land a middle pairing D, what are they doing for a goalie? Mercer, another 1st, Casey? That's a lot of stuff moving out.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

You know. If this is your logic. Pettersson and Marino would be INCREDIBLE for the Devils!

If I'm the Devils, I probably target Hague out of Vegas for Bahl or Holtz over Zadorov.

Hughes, Hague, Siegs is a nice LHD to compliment Hamilton Marino Nemec.
John Marino played some of the hardest minutes in hockey last year. He put up excellent results.
Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 2.37.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 2.37.39 PM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The problem is the market is so thin for top 4 D already. Teams don’t want to move them or at least don’t want to move the ones in their prime or the ones with good contracts.

add that to the fact that the demand is high and you get the perfect storm. You either get a very short term solution or pay a premium for a long term one.
Thankfully NJDs need is at LD rather than RD, so there is a bit more of a surplus there.

He's under contract for another year, so, depends what you mean there.

The good/great defenders with term are usually not remotely close to available.
Extension ballpark around 6x6?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Jfresh altar in a John Marino conversation. Color me impressed.
Do you want me to link hours of tape?

The underlying metrics back up the tape.

John Marino had excellent defensive results last year playing some of the toughest assignments in hockey.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Thankfully NJDs need is at LD rather than RD, so there is a bit more of a surplus there.

Extension ballpark around 6x6?

I would think so, but with the rising cap who knows what math they'll use. I think any team going after MP is going after him as a 1LD so that money will sound about right.

When he signed for 4, he got it because the year prior he took one for the team for cap compliance. The org then rewarded him prematurely with his (current) deal. He played awful on it. Until, the light switched on and he became an amazing deal at 4.

If he were paid 6M this year I would not have been upset to be honest with you. If he can replicate his play going forward that's a solid contract. Beyond that I'm not really sure.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Casey is a good prospect but his value is lower than that.

Casey’s stock and development has only continued to climb since he was drafted. He’s also more of a sure thing and closer to being NHL ready than whatever 18 year old they would take at 10th OA. It’s not like Casey has a super low ceiling either. 10th OA is a high pick, but they’re still outside the “cream of the crop” range.

As I said earlier though, rather not do either. But I’d rather trade 10th OA for immediate help than Casey.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What the hell does John Marino's play last year have to with this thread?? Grow up and move on.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
My view of NJ..

RD Hamilton, Marino , Nemec
LD Hughes, seigrnthaler

I look at Casey as a future RD
I don’t know what LD is in the queue and how soon thry could be ready.

LD are more available on trade market not costing you a 1st. Montreal has a few. Other teams have some surplus thst msy be more 3+ yrs with devils.
I thin at draft you can pick a LD with 1st
Casey has played some LD in the past but he is primarily an RD.

I think he either gets 1 more year of college/AHL, then moves into a 3rd pairing sheltered role to start and we see how it goes from there. I'd prefer not to have too many kids in the lineup at once on D.

In terms of LD prospects, nothing particularly high end. Bahl should be a competent 3LD/PK guy as he develops (already a good PKer, passing is heavily lacking)

Vilen/Hatakka/Misyul are in the pipeline. None are anything special, but I like Vilen a lot and expect him to carve out a fairly long NHL career on the bottom pair.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have a hunch if Dubas trades Pettersson he will get absolutely fleeced

Pettersson likely has little value.

He's for some reason anoited as this amazing defenseman by Penguins fans because of charts, but anyone that has paid attention he had a pretty medicore finish.

He's a decent # 3, probably ideally a # 4, and his offensive abilities have improved. He's probably worth a 2nd and a decent prospect. He'll probably get under 6 million in UFA.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
View attachment 853884

Look. My choice of stat card say he is bad!
Yes, John Marino has struggled this year. Hence why I think NJD should be trying to upgrade his partner to get him a defensively minded vet to be paired with again so he can get back to his previous success/role, instead of covering for kids making rookie mistakes.

I would think so, but with the rising cap who knows what math they'll use. I think any team going after MP is going after him as a 1LD so that money will sound about right.

When he signed for 4, he got it because the year prior he took one for the team for cap compliance. The org then rewarded him prematurely with his (current) deal. He played awful on it. Until, the light switched on and he became an amazing deal at 4.

If he were paid 6M this year I would not have been upset to be honest with you. If he can replicate his play going forward that's a solid contract. Beyond that I'm not really sure.
My hope would be he'd be an undervalued asset (because he's an LD without a big name factor and low point totals) that NJD can target and get on somewhat of a bargain trade/contract. But I think he's worth a TON, and would fit perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad