Value of: Cost of a Marcus Pettersson type to NJD? (provide examples of guys)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
IMO, more than any goalie, NJD should be prioritizing an 2LD.

The Dcore significantly struggled, and while a significant amount of improvement should come from within (Hamilton back, Siegs/Marino bounceback, Luke/Nemec development) an improvement on Bahl/Smith should be acquired.

If Siegs/Marino don't bounce back it will be a necessity to have another quality dman, and if they do it will create an elite Dcore.

Bahl/Smith specifically need to be replaced, as they have been very disappointing, and cannot complete a breakout pass to save their life.

The first guy who has consistently sprang to mind is Pettersson. He is a great puck mover, excellent defensively and on the PK, and already has over 2000 minutes played with John Marino.

I assume the cost would be similar to a normal rental cost (if available) 1st+sweetener.

What are some other potential targets/fits for this role in either UFA or trade, as well as their potential costs?

Off the top of my head some examples would be potentially Gavrikov, McDonagh, Dillon, Ferraro, Samuelsson, Martinez, etc.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know that Pettersson is really a good fit for a partner for Marino. Yes, the two played together a lot, but Pettersson really got better once he moved away from Marino. Pettersson should be a DFD for an OFD partner, ideally one with some size and physicality. I don't think you want to play Pettersson with Marino. It's just the first name that popped into my mind, but you want Pettersson playing LD with a RD like what Phaneuf used to be.

But with Pettersson to NJ, I imagine the cost would be insane to move him within the division. Bahl and New Jersey's 2024 1st would probably be the initial ask, which I imagine New Jersey would say no to with Pettersson being a UFA next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't know that Pettersson is really a good fit for a partner for Marino. Yes, the two played together a lot, but Pettersson really got better once he moved away from Marino. Pettersson should be a DFD for an OFD partner, ideally one with some size and physicality. I don't think you want to play Pettersson with Marino. It's just the first name that popped into my mind, but you want Pettersson playing LD with a RD like what Phaneuf used to be.

But with Pettersson to NJ, I imagine the cost would be insane to move him within the division.
I really liked their results together in pittsburgh as a shutdown pair personally. But if need be we can always play Pettersson-Nemec and Hughes-Marino.

But with Pettersson to NJ, I imagine the cost would be insane to move him within the division. Bahl and New Jersey's 1st would probably be the initial ask, which I imagine New Jersey would say no to with Pettersson being a UFA next year.
I would personally do NJDs 2025 1st+Bahl, but not our Top 10 pick this year+Bahl.

Would NJD pay a massive in division tax? Fitzgerald still I imagine has some ties to the Pittsburgh organization from his time there, and I wouldn't consider Pitt a massive rival like an NYR or a Philly.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Why? They were awful together and a huge reason they lost to the Rangers in G7.
They produced consistently good results in a shutdown role for 3+ seasons in their early 20s. Very few pairings gave up fewer chances against than they did during their time together in Pitt. Low event hockey, perfect for when up a goal. But if we need to split them up, I'd be more than happy to play Pettersson-Nemec and Luke-Marino

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

But with Pettersson to NJ, I imagine the cost would be insane to move him within the division. Bahl and New Jersey's 2024 1st would probably be the initial ask, which I imagine New Jersey would say no to with Pettersson being a UFA next year.
First off we're not giving up a top 10 pick (nothing shows MP is worth that) AND then adding Bahl
A '25 first + probably (with a discussion with his agent 1st)
Bahl ++ most likely. Bahl should end up like MP when he's done cooking, I just dont wanna wait!

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He should be made available - but - he won't be cheap.

1 season left at 4M and he plays as a top 5-10 LD in the league. True defender. He'll crank a shot that'll go wide 15 feet now and then - but man is he something to behold getting pucks off sticks. He went 180 seemingly overnight and went from a whipping boy to playing well above contract and making plays every single game that save goal(s).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They produced consistently good results in a shutdown role for 3+ seasons in their early 20s. Very few pairings gave up fewer chances against than they did during their time together in Pitt. Low event hockey, perfect for when up a goal. But if we need to split them up, I'd be more than happy to play Pettersson-Nemec and Luke-Marino

These results the same results that Jersey fans were saying showed Marino was the best defensive defenseman in the league last year?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
What would the offer be from NJD for the actual Marcus Pettersson?

If the Pens are going to stick with the status quo behind the bench and with the roster (and I dont think there are major changes of any type coming) and just ride the decline, then I dont give a fig about trading him in-division and would rather maximize value on any assets that still have value.

I'd offer flexibility too, given Jersey's off year shows sometimes setbacks happen. Something like a 2025 first, top 12 protected?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If the Devils are giving up high end assets it shouldn't be for a 2nd pairing D. If they can pull one for a Marino or Graves like return then go for it but you can't give up a 1st, Mercer, or Casey to do it.

Pettersson would be a nice pickup but I don't think the Devils should be willing to part with what he'd cost.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If the Devils are giving up high end assets it shouldn't be for a 2nd pairing D. If they can pull one for a Marino or Graves like return then go for it but you can't give up a 1st, Mercer, or Casey to do it.

Pettersson would be a nice pickup but I don't think the Devils should be willing to part with what he'd cost.
The problem is the market is so thin for top 4 D already. Teams don’t want to move them or at least don’t want to move the ones in their prime or the ones with good contracts.

add that to the fact that the demand is high and you get the perfect storm. You either get a very short term solution or pay a premium for a long term one.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
I think Zadorov would be a very good fit for them next to Marino. Has some offensive game to compliment Marino who is more two way then OFD, huge, hits like a truck. Won't be mistaken for a Norris defenseman but has aged out of a lot of his brain farts. Graves looked great in NJ and Zadorov is like a better Graves

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think Zadorov would be a very good fit for them next to Marino. Has some offensive game to compliment Marino who is more two way then OFD, huge, hits like a truck. Won't be mistaken for a Norris defenseman but has aged out of a lot of his brain farts. Graves looked great in NJ and Zadorov is like a better Graves
Devils are looking for a bit more toughness/physicality, too, so he would check off a lot of check marks

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The problem is the market is so thin for top 4 D already. Teams don’t want to move them or at least don’t want to move the ones in their prime or the ones with good contracts.

add that to the fact that the demand is high and you get the perfect storm. You either get a very short term solution or pay a premium for a long term one.
They should look first to the UFA market for an upgrade on D, save the trade chips for a goalie.
If they happen to land a legit starter early in the offseason and you don't land an upgrade, then you can start to consider moving these parts.

Even if they don't land a clear upgrade at LHD, having a healthy Hamilton should really help Siegenthaler bounce back, then you have Luke Hughes on the middle pair and Bahl/Hatakka to play on the 3rd pair. While not ideal, it shouldn't be the #1 priority.

Getting a true #1 goalie should be the top priority, getting physical guys that can actually play should be next and defensive depth should be after that. Especially considering there is no real goalie available as a UFA, but there are numerous defencemen that would be considered a clear upgrade that are likely headed to market.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IMO, more than any goalie, NJD should be prioritizing an 2LD.

The Dcore significantly struggled, and while a significant amount of improvement should come from within (Hamilton back, Siegs/Marino bounceback, Luke/Nemec development) an improvement on Bahl/Smith should be acquired.

If Siegs/Marino don't bounce back it will be a necessity to have another quality dman, and if they do it will create an elite Dcore.

Bahl/Smith specifically need to be replaced, as they have been very disappointing, and cannot complete a breakout pass to save their life.

The first guy who has consistently sprang to mind is Pettersson. He is a great puck mover, excellent defensively and on the PK, and already has over 2000 minutes played with John Marino.

I assume the cost would be similar to a normal rental cost (if available) 1st+sweetener.

What are some other potential targets/fits for this role in either UFA or trade, as well as their potential costs?

My view of NJ..

RD Hamilton, Marino , Nemec
LD Hughes, seigrnthaler

I look at Casey as a future RD
I don’t know what LD is in the queue and how soon thry could be ready.

LD are more available on trade market not costing you a 1st. Montreal has a few. Other teams have some surplus thst msy be more 3+ yrs with devils.
I thin at draft you can pick a LD with 1st

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Instead of a 1st+ I would do it for the Finn prospect whose name I can’t spell and Casey. Throw in Gritsyuk too if you want.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anaheim likely going to get rid of a LHD

I’d be open to trade Fowler but I assume the cap complicates that, also prob not the style you are lookin for.

We have mintyukov/ zellweger as main lhd of future for us, I assume 1 of vaaakanianen or lacombe could be made available, with hinds/dioncio still in system

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
They should look first to the UFA market for an upgrade on D, save the trade chips for a goalie.
If they happen to land a legit starter early in the offseason and you don't land an upgrade, then you can start to consider moving these parts.

Even if they don't land a clear upgrade at LHD, having a healthy Hamilton should really help Siegenthaler bounce back, then you have Luke Hughes on the middle pair and Bahl/Hatakka to play on the 3rd pair. While not ideal, it shouldn't be the #1 priority.

Getting a true #1 goalie should be the top priority, getting physical guys that can actually play should be next and defensive depth should be after that. Especially considering there is no real goalie available as a UFA, but there are numerous defencemen that would be considered a clear upgrade that are likely headed to market.
Having better D goes hand in hand with the G too. Half our fanbase loved to see Severson move on, how'd that go for us? His 2 goals on his own net was far better than what went on this year back there! Skjej is about the only FA D man we should consider. Hattaka takes Bahl's spot who is moved for anything

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Devils are looking for a bit more toughness/physicality, too, so he would check off a lot of check marks
Spent a lot of time in the box, We are moving on from Smitty now, do we need another? Agree on the heaviness but measured! I'd rather do tha on a 4th line group with the Trenins of the world and have our D be topish in the league with skill

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
First off we're not giving up a top 10 pick (nothing shows MP is worth that) AND then adding Bahl
A '25 first + probably (with a discussion with his agent 1st)
Bahl ++ most likely. Bahl should end up like MP when he's done cooking, I just dont wanna wait!

Okay then the Penguins aren't going to trade Pettersson to you.

The point is that the Penguins aren't going to trade Pettersson in the division without a massive overpayment.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Having better D goes hand in hand with the G too. Half our fanbase loved to see Severson move on, how'd that go for us? His 2 goals on his own net was far better than what went on this year back there! Skjej is about the only FA D man we should consider. Hattaka takes Bahl's spot who is moved for anything
The loss of Severson hurt more because it was coupled with the loss of Hamilton as well, had the Devils known that Hamilton would miss most of the season they'd probably try harder to keep Severson.
While I'm not saying they don't need to upgrade the D, it just shouldn't come at the expense of high end assets unless the other more glaring holes are filled first.

Besides Skjei I'd look at Zadorov, Dillon and Grzelcyk as clear upgrades on the left side. They'll also need a RHD for at least the short term, I'd look at Walker, Roy if giving term or Dumba or Myers on a 1 year.

Fans love to shit on Bahl, he's a good enough bottom pairing guy, he was just forced to play too many minutes. He'll be fine if they need to use him there.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Spent a lot of time in the box, We are moving on from Smitty now, do we need another? Agree on the heaviness but measured! I'd rather do tha on a 4th line group with the Trenins of the world and have our D be topish in the league with skill
Zadorov might be expensive, but he's better than Smith.

Why not potentially add Trenin and Zadorov ?

The Devils don't really have someone on the backend you really gotta watch out for. Zadorov in 53 gamed with Vancouver would be 2nd on the devils d for hits. He's a solid option and I can't imagine people are willing to give him a long-term contract, so 1, maybe 2 years is something that could potentially be done with him.

If he's like 4 mill for 4 years, then the Devils should pass, but if he's 1, or 2 years at 3...

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Besides Skjei I'd look at Zadorov, Dillon and Grzelcyk as clear upgrades on the left side. They'll also need a RHD for at least the short term, I'd look at Walker, Roy if giving term or Dumba or Myers on a 1 year.
Skjei is too expensive, but I would consider Dillon or even Zadorov. Grzelcyk isn't a player the Devils should target.

Walker and Roy are going to get a lot of money and term. I don't know why you want to pay them when the Devils already have Hamilton, Marino and Nemec on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad