Newsday: Cory Conacher making a mark with Islanders

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/cory-conacher-making-a-mark-with-islanders-1.9456857

"Cory Conacher is a guy you root for.

The 24-year-old made it to the NHL in 2012-13 as an undrafted, undersized (5-9, possibly in skates) free agent who has suffered from Type 1 diabetes since age 8. He nearly made the Lightning out of training camp in 2011-12 but went to the AHL and earned MVP honors with 39 goals and 80 points for Norfolk.

He made an impact in 2012-13 with the Lightning and then the Senators after a trade but was waived by Ottawa last season and finished the year a free agent again after closing out the season with the Sabres....."

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I really don't think this kid falls into the land of a scrub signing like Regin or PMB. He's proven to have skill, and only one season really that made it seem like he regressed. He hasn't been given a fair shot to see if he can bounce back to the capabilities he's shown. To the Bailey fans....keep in mind Conacher is YOUNGER than Bailey and has had less seasons in the NHL. Anyway, like I said I won't be upset if Conacher earns a roster spot and it causes Strome to start in BP.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
images

Thread goes nuts in 3.....2.....

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Wasn't he lighting it up in Tampa last season? I remember being kind of surprised when he got traded.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
he is the definition of a wild card. right now, it wouldn't seem out of place to have him in the bottom 6. i know some people think that he isn't suited for the 4th line, but i think i prefer him to Martin, but would have Martin play against the tougher teams.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I don't mind Conacher per se, I just want th best roster possible.
If he is a better fit than Strome and other players right now I have no problem with him making the team and Strome going down for more seasoning. Best players play until someone better comes along.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I loved that game as a kid BTW!

Anyway, as someone who has seen Conacher here in Tampa, he does have the tools available to be a good player. He does have this edge to him. Hopefully he puts it together nicely for us.

FYI -- The second controller controls the ducks in that game. Man, that was fun in college.

You know what a perfect scenario is? Recreate the Conacher in Tampa situation exactly the same. Play him on our top line, watch him rack up points, and then move him for our biggest need (defense) and put Strome in that spot after he tears up the AHL.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I really don't think this kid falls into the land of a scrub signing like Regin or PMB. He's proven to have skill, and only one season really that made it seem like he regressed. He hasn't been given a fair shot to see if he can bounce back to the capabilities he's shown. To the Bailey fans....keep in mind Conacher is YOUNGER than Bailey and has had less seasons in the NHL. Anyway, like I said I won't be upset if Conacher earns a roster spot and it causes Strome to start in BP.

I think he is more like PA Parenteau, but with a little more NHL experience

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
I dont understan the Conacher hate? Is it because the Islanders didnt draft him? It wasnt that long ago that everyone was up in arms that Ulstrom wasnt making the roster but the thought of Conacher being here riles everyone up. He had 29 points in 47 games 2 seasons ago. Last year didnt work out for him but lets see what happens. If he plays better in camp than say Lee, Strome or Bailey then lets see what happens. He could be the next Jason Blake.

Worst case scenerio is that he makes the team plays 10 games or so doesnt work out and they replace him with another guy in the system.

Here is hoping Conacher puts up 40+ points.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

on the 2nd/3rd line that's fine but as the#1 LW I think we shoot for 60+.

I would love for CC to come in here and be a legit player and contribute points but I just don't see it.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I dont understan the Conacher hate? Is it because the Islanders didnt draft him? It wasnt that long ago that everyone was up in arms that Ulstrom wasnt making the roster but the thought of Conacher being here riles everyone up. He had 29 points in 47 games 2 seasons ago. Last year didnt work out for him but lets see what happens. If he plays better in camp than say Lee, Strome or Bailey then lets see what happens. He could be the next Jason Blake.

Worst case scenerio is that he makes the team plays 10 games or so doesnt work out and they replace him with another guy in the system.

The "Conacher hate" is about him being another pickup off the NHL scrap heap. He's exactly what we DON'T need. Another tiny nonphysical forward with modest defensive ability and no physical game. I think most of us want to see the kids we've waiting for years finally get their shot instead of another wave of PM Bouchard, Peter Regin, Conacher, etc.

Here is hoping Conacher winds up on waivers and Anders Lee is a regular.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I dont understan the Conacher love? Is it because the Islanders dumpster dived for him? It wasnt that long ago that everyone was up in arms that Pierre Marc Douchehard and tiny Peter made the roster but the thought of Conacher being here invigorates all the fanboys to his defense. He had 26 points in 79 games last year. Two years ago he was better playing next to a guy who could put 50 pts on a loaf of Boars Head Balogna, but lets see what happened. If he plays worse in camp than say Lee, Strome or Bailey then lets see what happens. He could be the next Jeff Tambellini.

Best case scenerio is that he doesn't make the team, 8 of the 9 guys in our top 3 lines get food poisoning from eating bad veal, and he is there to provide some depth. Then on the way back down he gets claimed off waivers.

Here is hoping Capuano takes a cruise to Alaska and gets trapped in a glacier for 15 years.

:D I meant this as a joke so I hope you don't kill me for it. I hope he acquits himself well enough. It is just mind boggling to me that anyone at this point wonders why many of us are sick to death of taking flyers out on reclamation projects. The dude is 5'8" tall. If you are that small and your first name isn't Theo it's 99.9% of the time just a waste of time to take a spot better spent on someone like Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad