OT: Coronavirus XXXIX: Local Covid Talk, No Politics, No Derailing, See OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
well, he's not an anti-masker or anti-vaxxer by any means...he literally tests every person he interviews for Covid
he just questions a ton of policies that were implemented instead of blind following the mainstream narrative (IMO)
It'll get off topic but I'm not just talking about Covid here, just in general.

Rogan isn't openly anti all of that but he constantly sows so much doubt in shit.

My overall point is. Unless you are a doctor or expert, or someone actually dealing with health. You shouldn't be spreading your opinions on massive platforms like this, because it's your responsibility not to.

Like people trust him and he straight up said he isn't getting it cause he doesn't feel like he needs it cause he works out and healthy. Now you have a ton of people who love the guy and trust him and go "I work out, I'm relatively healthy (probably not), I won't get the vaccine either, like my buddy Joe Rogan".

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't want to hear his views on it that's a big 10 4

Would be like
Hey doc, when a dude is on my back with his legs trapping me and choking me out how do I escape
At one point he was saying that ventilators were killing people and I rolled my eyes hard.

Ventilators are like CPR. If they need to be used on you, it's being done to save your life and your chances of surviving are very low. Not because of the ventilator/cpr, but because if it needs to happen to you, you're pretty f***ed to begin with.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
As someone who isn't in the age groups that can be vaccinated yet but works in a public-facing job (albeit only part time) I sure as hell do not want to catch any of the variants (which seem to be affecting people in my age group more). I know a few people who have recovered and they're still suffering from effects of it, months later.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We need to emphasize that the main health care responsibility is with the individual. Societal healthcare is not the primary responsible party. This should be obvious. However, generally the obvious needs to be repeated over and over again.
I fullly agree that this is about the individual actions.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As someone who isn't in the age groups that can be vaccinated yet but works in a public-facing job (albeit only part time) I sure as hell do not want to catch any of the variants (which seem to be affecting people in my age group more). I know a few people who have recovered and they're still suffering from effects of it, months later.
Yep, sometimes younger people get mild symptoms and they just don't go away.

Hell look at Neal, guy is struggling to even get back into shape and he isn't even old and is a pro athlete.

It's less lethal for the younger people still but it's becoming more and more harmful to your overall health.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yep, sometimes younger people get mild symptoms and they just don't go away.

Hell look at Neal, guy is struggling to even get back into shape and he isn't even old and is a pro athlete.

It's less lethal for the younger people still but it's becoming more and more harmful to your overall health.
you know that's from Covid?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We need to emphasize that the main health care responsibility is with the individual. Societal healthcare is not the primary responsible party. This should be obvious. However, generally the obvious needs to be repeated over and over again.
Okay but when you personal choice effects others what then?

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I sometimes wonder if we are vaccinating the completely wrong way. Start at 18 and start working your way up, this is where the majority of the spread is likely coming from since the younger you are the more likely they are going out and socializing. I understand it's important to protect the vulnerable but it's done nothing to reduce the spread so they are stuck at home anyways. At least vaccinating the crowd going out would have reduced spread, but I'm definitely not a epidemiologist.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
We encourage healthy younger people to get flu shots every year to reduce the risk to vulnerable populations.

What possible reason is there for a healthy young person to not get vaccinated?
Not enough to go around is all I can think of.
I have a buddy who refuses to get one and won't (can't?) give me a reason.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
What else happened with Neal that would of had him being a good usable NHL player in the playins and then suddenly fall off an incredible cliff and have zero conditioning?
Well you could also look at Stalock and Marco Rossi of the Wild as examples too. By all accounts Covid knocked both of them on their asses for quite a while, with possible long-lasting effects.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Here in Ontario they just said that they expect the vaccines to be open to all ages by the end of May. Quebec is moving to this very soon. Pretty much anyone in Ontario in your situation is already eligible. I suspect Alberta will follow soon.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I sometimes wonder if we are vaccinating the completely wrong way. Start at 18 and start working your way up, this is where the majority of the spread is likely coming from since the younger you are the more likely they are going out and socializing. I understand it's important to protect the vulnerable but it's done nothing to reduce the spread so they are stuck at home anyways. At least vaccinating the crowd going out would have reduced spread, but I'm definitely not a epidemiologist.
Spread is going up but I think the deaths aren't so we are at least saving lives.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Here in Ontario they just said that they expect the vaccines to be open to all ages by the end of May. Quebec is moving to this very soon. Pretty much anyone in Ontario in your situation is already eligible. I suspect Alberta will follow soon.

Yes, we are now in the final specific phase before it is available to the general public. Based on the timing of the last few phases, and assuming the increased vaccine supply arrives as expected, hopefully we see bookings for the general public in about two weeks. But don’t quote me, I’m no expert like Rogan. ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
People seem to have difficulty recognizing charlatans in present day. The mere fact that somebody has put out 1500 podcasts and is now currently peddling to spotify to the tune of 100M bucks should tell his listeners what the primary intent of Joe Rogan is, and it isn't to inform, its to shamelessly self promote and become a cult news alternative conduit. Rogan IS the snake oil salesman. Not even disguised.

Guess what Joe Rogan acolytes of decades, you were duped. This guy doesn't care what you believe, how much you know, its obvious what he cares about. It isn't enlightenment.

Regardless of spectrum, people deferring so resolutely to podcasts in present day to obtain information is dangerous in its potential to misinform. Its allows individuals like this to yield so much power, too much say, and listening to a podcast is a PASSIVE form of obtaining *information*.

In reality, regardless of the message offered, consuming passive podcasts is subjecting one self to one source propaganda, willingly, and that he has so many listeners and so many podcasts its deconstructive as it captures so many people that might otherwise read books to enlighten themselves and engage in what is the EVALUATIVE process of reading. In which one mentally ponders the quality of the information, can put down the book, read it more carefully, critique information, and balance it out with the writings of countless other authors. The true intellectual process and obtaining of knowledge is through the lifetime act of reading. The medium in which learned congress has been conducted for centuries.

Podcasts, videos, they don't offer that, they are instead formulated as entertainment (even labeled infotainment) and with added personality cult as bait, with selective streaming of information contained within. Its depressing that so many people are willing to submit to such indoctrination instead of being analytical, evaluative, and utilizing broad source information.

Rogan's opener to his dumbass commentary underscores your whole point. "People are asking me if they should get the vaccine." The fact that anyone wonders what Joe Rogan thinks about this and then listens to him is a major problem.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
My overall point is. Unless you are a doctor or expert, or someone actually dealing with health. You shouldn't be spreading your opinions on massive platforms like this, because it's your responsibility not to.

Quite a few of medical professionals should have been quieter too, people in those roles have spread a lot of misinformation and speculation based on their subset of experiences. Or what they've "heard". Or sometime based on what they were advocating.

p.s. Taking medical advice from Joe Rogan is dumb.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
age? the guy could had no goals after New Year's Eve 2019 and was constantly injured
Age causes a guy to be a useful in relatively good shape player in the playins to unplayable a few months later? Come on.
Covid kicked his ass and they have talked about it a ton.

We can talk about the Broadway actor with no health conditions and in great shape too who died from it. Being healthy and in good shape lowers your chances of being sick, sure, doesn't prevent f*** all. Eating Kale and doing chinups doesn't prevent a virus from killing you.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Quite a few of medical professionals should have been quieter too, people in those roles have spread a lot of misinformation and speculation based on their subset of experiences. Or what they've "heard". Or sometime based on what they were advocating.

p.s. Taking medical advice from Joe Rogan is dumb.
Yep. The average person fails to understand what's trust worthy, what to believe and what to listen to.

Even with the entire world being on the internet, people seek out what they agree with and what they personally believe. Even with the wealth of information out there people as a whole are pretty ignorant to the world and other people. You think that would be getting better but it would be getting worse.

Humanity as a whole rejects anything that goes against their world view, and are slowly becoming more and more segregated into groups and media that agrees with them.

It's unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad