Coronavirus XII: Reopenings Starting and Mods Have Long Memories AKA Don't Derail

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I just found out that my dentist died from COVID. As far as I know, he didn't have any preexisting conditions. 60 years old, not young but not that old either. Crazy

At least he didn't go crazy and shoot 13 people like my mom's dentist here in NS

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Wrestling events have been running perfectly fine the last couple of months so what's the problem?
One of the federations (AEW) has a bunch of wrestlers (about 10-12 or so) watching from the stands during the matches and a staff of color announcers, refs and ring announcers on the side without any positive tests as far as I know so it seems to be working.

WWE has been running for a month during the shutdown. AEW is still airing pre-taped stuff AFAIK. UFC ran their first event this past weekend.

Vince McMahon basically pledged money into the right Superpac to get Ron DeSantis, one of the villains of the Covid-19 effort in the US, to declare them an essential service. It's an international punchline that they're "essential". The risk is they're bringing dozens of employees from out of state to Florida, risking an outbreak both there and elsewhere. One of their top stars is being edited out of old shows because he's refusing to come to work for his health, while an anonymous employee filed a complaint with the state that they were being forced to work in an unsafe environment. Just because they haven't had an outbreak in 4 weeks of this doesn't mean they aren't risking one. Nowhere outside of Florida would be allowing this right now (for good reason).

As for the UFC, they've run one show and had to scramble when of their fighters was Covid-19 positive (along with some in his camp). We'll see where that goes.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
WWE has been running for a month during the shutdown. AEW is still airing pre-taped stuff AFAIK. UFC ran their first event this past weekend.

Vince McMahon basically pledged money into the right Superpac to get Ron DeSantis, one of the villains of the Covid-19 effort in the US, to declare them an essential service. It's an international punchline that they're "essential". The risk is they're bringing dozens of employees from out of state to Florida, risking an outbreak both there and elsewhere. One of their top stars is being edited out of old shows because he's refusing to come to work for his health, while an anonymous employee filed a complaint with the state that they were being forced to work in an unsafe environment. Just because they haven't had an outbreak in 4 weeks of this doesn't mean they aren't risking one. Nowhere outside of Florida would be allowing this right now (for good reason).

As for the UFC, they've run one show and had to scramble when of their fighters was Covid-19 positive (along with some in his camp). We'll see where that goes.
We are stuck with this risk for the next two years at least before wide scale vaccinations can moderate it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Vince McMahon is a scumbag, this was already known.
The top star you mentioned went through a bout of leukemia not too long ago so he shouldn't be anywhere near a wrestling ring now and hasn't been.

There's always going to be risk for everybody who goes back to work whether it's sports or not because this virus isn't going away anytime soon and might never go away. The point is that the WWE and AEW (even though the shows are taped, it's still a risk) have put on these shows largely without issue but who knows, maybe they're withholding information from behind the scenes that the public isn't privy to.
Not a UFC fan but I heard that the show went well even with the positive test.

Like it or not, these contact sports going on in a safe manner set a precedent for what the NHL and NBA should expect and gives some hope that they can execute this thing eventually and you better believe that Adam Silver, Bettman etc. are keeping their eye on these events.
Of course the NHL and NBA have a lot more people that need to be cared for and complications with multiple sites and travel so it's going to be a more complicated restart but at least wrestling and the UFC offer some sort of platform to pull this off.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Vince McMahon is a scumbag, this was already known.
The top star you mentioned went through a bout of leukemia not too long ago so he shouldn't be anywhere near a wrestling ring now and hasn't been.

That "top star" is getting shit for not going to work, and like I said, other employees are not happy with having their health risked.

There's always going to be risk for everybody who goes back to work whether it's sports or not because this virus isn't going away anytime soon and might never go away. The point is that the WWE and AEW (even though the shows are taped, it's still a risk) have put on these shows largely without issue but who knows, maybe they're withholding information from behind the scenes that the public isn't privy to.
Not a UFC fan but I heard that the show went well even with the positive test.

The taped AEW shows, and taped WWE shows before mid-April, weren't a big risk because they were taped in Mid-March when there were very few known cases and before shutdown orders closed the doors on them. 49 states and every Canadian province would not allow them to run right now.

As for the UFC show "going well", the consequences of an outbreak would only be felt within 1-3 weeks. Whether or not there is one, the fact that multiple people there tested positive is a danger sign.

Like it or not, these contact sports going on in a safe manner set a precedent for what the NHL and NBA should expect and gives some hope that they can execute this thing eventually and you better believe that Adam Silver, Bettman etc. are keeping their eye on these events.
Of course the NHL and NBA have a lot more people that need to be cared for and complications with multiple sites and travel so it's going to be a more complicated restart but at least wrestling and the UFC offer some sort of platform to pull this off.

There's nothing "safe" about their approach. That's why only carny-land is letting them take the risk. There's nothing to be gleamed from them. There's a reason the major leagues are not rushing down to Florida to run games.

Instead they're working with health officials to find the right time and method to restart. That means an evidence based approach in a regions that are trending down and re-opening other non-essential services at the same time. The NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB will not put their people at risk the way Vince or Dana White are.

Last edited:

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
“Among the steps under consideration: no cabin bags, no lounges, no automatic upgrades, face masks, surgical gloves, self-check-in, self-bag-drop-off, immunity passports, on-the-spot blood tests and sanitation disinfection tunnels."

"Immunity passports." I think there is a company with Bill Gates as its partner which specializes in a digital I.D. system; and on its website, passports are used as an example. Of course you'd have to be a crazy conspiracy nut to see any connection.

Future Air Travel: Four-Hour Process, Self Check-In, Disinfection, Immunity Passes

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I think we can both agree that's a big "if" and ultimately, is the key to the whole thing.

If I was the judge, I'd be pondering what is the more logical event to have happened...aftermarket mods so the car could attain its absolute maximum top end speed, or a laser speed gun which would have been tested for accuracy to measure and display speeds and distances before and again after the officer's shift somehow malfunctioned at this one given instant? That's a very weak defense in the first place and thanks to case law, as long as the device was tested to manufacturers specifications before and after with no defects, the device is/was determined to have been functioning without error in between those two times and there is no need to have the device inspected by the maker, otherwise every speed trial from 10 over and up would tie up the courts for years if this was a suitable defense.

Unless the defense can provide concrete evidence to the contrary, I think we both know what the most logical event is to have occurred. Those devices don't lie, I think it's fairly obvious what happened. It's up to the police now to prove it. If he's convicted, I hope he enjoyed that last drive because he's probably getting a lifetime driving suspension, and rightfully so.
The defense has to prove that the car's top speed is governed. If it is governed at 290/250/210 depending on the option package, then it is not capable of traveling at the speed the officer clocked it at. If the ECU is untouched, then the car can not physically reach that speed. If the car can not physically reach that speed, then it is likely that there's an error on the gun/operator side.

I have designed and built race cars (rally & formula), I know exactly how this works.

Reactions: Luckylarry

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There is no getting away from it, People who can afford two domiciles are rich.

I suppose I guess what you define as "rich". Someone who doesn't have a pot to piss in will look at the next guy who has 2 pots and call him rich. Someone who lives in middle class Edmonton, ie most of us, will look at some guy in a $3 million dollar home in Windermere and call him rich. That guy in Windermere will look at the guy who buys his real estate off Central Park and a $15 million dollar condo and call him rich. It is all relative, is it not?

Certainly someone with a 3500 sq foot home overlooking the ocean in Newport Beach has probably done fairly well for themselves and good on them.

However some 70 year old couple who paid their house off 20 years ago and took out a reverse mortgage to buy an 800 foot condo in Mesa for $30,000 after they paid their house off doesn't sound rich to me. Nor does the 75 year old couple who bought a $15,000 used 20' motorhome, fixed her up and takes it to Blythe and parks it on a concrete pad in the middle of the desert for 5 months and pays a couple hundred in pad rent a month. Nor does some 60 year old couple who also have no mortgage and rent a 900 square foot walk up condo 7 blocks from a beach in Florida for $2000 a month, using the money they saved.

There is nothing wrong with spending the money you’ve made on the way you want. The issue is that society gets involved to provide things like health care. Then it gets a lot less clear. If you didn’t have healthcare, would you go off that jump on your mountain bike? Go to Mexico to get liposuction? What happens if something goes wrong?

They buy health insurance so if they are travelling and go biking and break a clavicle they are covered by their insurance. Society is not involved. They spend $15,000 to get dental implants in Mexico? Well its their hard earned money. Society is not involved. Society doesn't get too involved with these so called "rich people" but if and when it does these so called "rich people" probably paid their taxes and they deserve access to what our country affords them and what they have earned by paying into the system like everyone else.

All I know is my idiot sister in law in Calgary who I do not define as rich climbs mountains in her spare time. One of these days she is going to fall and bust something up or need some expensive heli-rescue. Our system provides her that no different than if I fall riding my bike around the block or if you are jaywalking to get to your meeting that your late for and get hit by a car. People do what they do and probably don't think about their health care until they need it is my guess.

Either way this has nothing to do with Covid so I will end it here.

Reactions: Leo360

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
“Among the steps under consideration: no cabin bags, no lounges, no automatic upgrades, face masks, surgical gloves, self-check-in, self-bag-drop-off, immunity passports, on-the-spot blood tests and sanitation disinfection tunnels."

"Immunity passports." I think there is a company with Bill Gates as its partner which specializes in a digital I.D. system; and on its website, passports are used as an example. Of course you'd have to be a crazy conspiracy nut to see any connection.

Future Air Travel: Four-Hour Process, Self Check-In, Disinfection, Immunity Passes

Sounds enticing. I've always hated the whole flying experience as it was, this is going to make it even more stressful. More weekend car trips to the mountains are in my future.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am the Liquor

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Alberta Biz Connect

Workplace guidance and supports to help businesses and non-profits affected by COVID-19 begin to reopen and resume operations safely.

Alberta Biz Connect

Lots of good info here.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Andrew Cuomo Backs Down: Hospitals Can No Longer Send Coronavirus Patients to Nursing Homes in New York

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo reversed his controversial policy Sunday that had required nursing homes to accept coronavirus patients — even though the elderly are at far greater risk than other people from the impacts of the disease.

“Hospitals, going forward, cannot discharge a patient to a nursing home unless the patient tests negative for COVID-19. So we’re just not going to send a person who is positive to a nursing home after a hospital visit. Period,” Cuomo said at a press briefing Sunday.

This Cuomo guy is directly responsible for thousands of New York seniors' deaths. Today is about 2 months too late buddy: they're dead by now!

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

No wonder Buffet is bailing on Airline stocks. It will be a special kind of individual who must go through all that to fly.

I think I will drive thanks. Maybe the train. Maybe I will sail.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No wonder Buffet is bailing on Airline stocks. It will be a special kind of individual who must go through all that to fly.

I think I will drive thanks. Maybe the train. Maybe I will sail.
Stupid Atlantic Provinces allow people to fly into their regions, but have their provincial borders blocked. Which way is a person arriving more likely to be infected: plane or in their own car?

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
It’s always about the money isn’t it. People accuse ‘the right’ of being capitalist pigs only interested in the performance of the stock market. But the truth is it’s about the money for all but a tiny fraction of idealists. Most folks just like to pull on a little mask of political correctness out in public and pretend that they care about things like exploited workers, environmental destruction and so on. But as soon as you ask them to pay an extra $100 for their video game console, or use their cellphone for another year and refrain from buying the latest one, the mask slips rather quickly.

If after all this people still chase cheap crap made in PRC and still welcome hordes of ill mannered tourists from PRC then sooner or later we’ll all be living under the benevolent guidance of the CCP, and it will be exactly what we deserve.

One word.....WALMART...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
His ugly cars cars are all over out here on the “left coast”. How are his cars accepted in oil country?

I see 1 or 2 every time I'm going about in SW Edmonton, and in the neighbourhood. I wouldn't ever get one. Not because it's an EV, but because Musk is a douche. Soon enough there will be a load of other options if you want one where you don't have to support that arse if you want a nice EV.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary thread of today’s #COVID19AB update.

Currently, 73 people are hospitalized with 12 people admitted to ICUs. 4,659 people have recovered from COVID-19, leaving 1,524 active cases. In the last 24 hours, there were 47 new cases confirmed. (1/14)

I'm sad to report 2 additional deaths, which occurred in continuing care facilities in the North and Calgary zones. 2 deaths that were previously reported have now been ruled as unrelated to #COVID19AB. The total number of COVID-related deaths in Alberta remains at 117. (2/14)

As of today, there are 102 active cases in outbreaks at continuing care facilities across the province. 542 residents of continuing care facilities have recovered. (3/14)

At Cargill, there are now 36 active cases and 911 people who have recovered. There are 58 active cases at JBS in Brooks. At this facility, 548 people have now recovered. At Harmony Beef, there are 16 active cases & 22 people have recovered. (4/14)

We are forced to grieve differently in this time of pandemic, and I offer my sympathy to all those who are navigating that difficult terrain right now. My condolences to the friends and family of those who have lost loved ones from #COVID19AB. (5/14)

One additional case has been identified at Calgary Remand Centre. This case was identified early through a rigorous screening process when individuals are admitted. This case isn't related to an earlier reported case & there is no evidence of transmission at the facility. (6/14)

Currently, we have three confirmed cases at two unrelated Calgary daycares. These cases are isolated and the daycares are closed as a precaution. All those connected to the daycares are being offered testing. There is no evidence that transmission happened. (7/14)

Last week, six cases were identified at a Canada Post in Calgary. There were no connections between workers & their exposure seems to have been outside the workplace. There is no evidence of transmission at this work place. (8/14)

It may seem odd to contemplate restarting our economy after hearing about these outbreaks. While the final decision on entering Stage 1 has not been made, today I want to talk about why we can consider relaunch at this time. (9/14)

First, the outbreaks I mentioned represent pockets of infections that we must deal with. However, much of the province has been successful at flattening the curve. Hospitalizations & ICU admissions are down, recovered case numbers are up & we see fewer daily new cases. (10/14)

Our societal norms around hygiene and physical distancing are different today than they were when #COVID19AB began. These will remain habits and will become even more important as we leave our homes more often. (11/14)

Even though we will continue to see some cases of #COVID19AB we have enhanced our lab capacity & our ability to trace contacts & contain outbreaks since the pandemic started. (12/14)

I know the idea of re-launching our economy evokes strong emotions. Some are eager to move forward & feel we are going too slowly. Others are worried we are moving too fast. It’s ok to have different perspectives. (13/14)

I am listening to all perspectives & ultimately making my best recommendations for the overall health of Albertans. We will move forward cautiously, but we must proceed for our collective health & well-being. To make this work, we need to do this together. (14/14)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I suppose I guess what you define as "rich". Someone who doesn't have a pot to piss in will look at the next guy who has 2 pots and call him rich. Someone who lives in middle class Edmonton, ie most of us, will look at some guy in a $3 million dollar home in Windermere and call him rich. That guy in Windermere will look at the guy who buys his real estate off Central Park and a $15 million dollar condo and call him rich. It is all relative, is it not?

Certainly someone with a 3500 sq foot home overlooking the ocean in Newport Beach has probably done fairly well for themselves and good on them.

However some 70 year old couple who paid their house off 20 years ago and took out a reverse mortgage to buy an 800 foot condo in Mesa for $30,000 after they paid their house off doesn't sound rich to me. Nor does the 75 year old couple who bought a $15,000 used 20' motorhome, fixed her up and takes it to Blythe and parks it on a concrete pad in the middle of the desert for 5 months and pays a couple hundred in pad rent a month. Nor does some 60 year old couple who also have no mortgage and rent a 900 square foot walk up condo 7 blocks from a beach in Florida for $2000 a month, using the money they saved.

They buy health insurance so if they are travelling and go biking and break a clavicle they are covered by their insurance. Society is not involved. They spend $15,000 to get dental implants in Mexico? Well its their hard earned money. Society is not involved. Society doesn't get too involved with these so called "rich people" but if and when it does these so called "rich people" probably paid their taxes and they deserve access to what our country affords them and what they have earned by paying into the system like everyone else.

All I know is my idiot sister in law in Calgary who I do not define as rich climbs mountains in her spare time. One of these days she is going to fall and bust something up or need some expensive heli-rescue. Our system provides her that no different than if I fall riding my bike around the block or if you are jaywalking to get to your meeting that your late for and get hit by a car. People do what they do and probably don't think about their health care until they need it is my guess.

Either way this has nothing to do with Covid so I will end it here.
Socio-economic aspects have been important for understanding the spread of the disease. Countries like Canada and the us are in the virus’s wheelhouse as a consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad