News Article: Coronavirus Part IV : A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
sports stuff

Report: 'Significant amount of pessimism' that NBA won't finish season - Sportsnet.ca
U.S. President Trump scheduled for call with major-league sports commissioners - Sportsnet.ca

MLB is still hoping
Report: MLB pondering playing in empty spring parks - TSN.ca

Eski layoffs
Edmonton Eskimos make staff lay-offs amid COVID-19 - TSN.ca

paycuts NBA
NBA and NBPA negotiate pay cuts - TSN.ca

Debate here in the UK over EPL, winners, losers and relegation. Liverpool is 25 pts clear of Man city and most people assume they would have won but other teams are refusing to concede that topic. But the battle is at the bottom. IN the EPL 3 teams get relegated every year, right now Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Norwich are bottom 3--problem is and the battle lines are drawn because Bournemouth is level with West Ham and Watford with 27 pts and would get relegated due to goals and Villa who has 25 pts and has a game in hand on all teams around them meaning they have a better winning % than 3 of the team above them. It was floated that if the season is cancelled everyone just stays where they are. That of course brought a reaction from Leeds and West Brom who are the top of the second league saying no as they feel that if the season is cancelled everything goes according to the rules. We are talking about 100 of millions £ and talking with a few hardcore football fans, no matter what the EPL decides things will end up in court

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In the entertainment world it has laid waste to schedules and pre-production

The Vancouver film industry could be hit hard as according to a few industry reports, Filming on Vancouver based series may not restart until mid September--shows are usually the first to start filming in late june or early july leading to speculation of either a shortened season for all those shows or relocation to LA for 1 season

then you have the release schedule--Marvel has tossed their release schedule into a blender due to so many different shoots and movies at different level of post and pre production--two movies have been moved by a year while others maybe scrapped due to the leads not being available when they first wanted to shoot

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The reality is that we need a treatment because a vaccine won't be ready for at least a year. Fingers crossed that Doctors can find a pill or mixture of pills that kicks the Corona virus' ass.

This sounds legit.

American scientists say they’ve found potential COVID-19 cure

From the article:

"So how were the scientists able to work so fast on the vaccine? They say they had already completed research on SARS and MERS, which are similar to COVID-19."

These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” study co-author Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pittsburgh School of Medicine said in a statement. “We knew exactly where to fight this new virus.”

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
St. Joseph extended care facility (Covenant Health) the workers do not wear face masks. Not nurses not aids. Stupid stupid.

If someone has any pull please help force the issue.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Sounds legit.

From the article:

"So how were the scientists able to work so fast on the vaccine? They say they had already completed research on SARS and MERS, which are similar to COVID-19."

These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” study co-author Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pittsburgh School of Medicine said in a statement. “We knew exactly where to fight this new virus.”

Here's the video..

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Has anyone been able to find any facemasks for sale around town, or is it just an online order only type of thing these days?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The reality is that we need a treatment because a vaccine won't be ready for at least a year. Fingers crossed that Doctors can find a pill or mixture of pills that kicks the Corona virus' ass.
Wishful thinking on that vaccine. Most reports say up to 18 months. We are just getting started with this thing, and know next to nothing about it. So many conflicting reports, some information changing by the day. I expect this thing to crest in most places around June, subside and then the 2nd most deadly wave occurs in the fall.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Question for the Americans here

What is your reaction to POTUS getting mad at reporters from different agencies asking him to clarify what his son in law said

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This sounds legit.

From the article:

I don't doubt that it might be effective, however it will be months before they start human trials IIRC. In terms of the vaccine side of things IMO there is no quick fix unless the losses are so staggering that they roll it out much sooner and hope for the best. IMO using antibodies from those that have been effected is likely our best bet at least for the interim.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Prediction: Virus crests this month in Canada, subsides in May, and Vaccine will start to be available in late fall. Will make the H1n1 vaccine lineups look like childs play. Anybody remember lining up for an hour to get those? Worrying that you contract it in the lineup..

Despite the problems reported in Ecuador, which has such deplorable sanitation it still skirts with Cholera epidemic, the virus isn't spreading as well in warmer climes. Like I mentioned earlier 90% of the cases are from regions above the tropic of Cancer and Europe and NA are having very cold springs. Soon as it warms up this will start to subside. Longer days, more UV, more humidity, more people outside instead of inside is all bad for the virus. Lower Mainland BC already making headway and active cases actually not increasing. Vancouver which should have a big problem with this contagion like GTA and Montreal but surprisingly doesn't. Wouldn't be surprised if coastal breeze is another factor dissipating this virus in the outdoors. Like most virus, bacteria, this spreads better indoors in places without adequate ventilation, without adequate natural daylight.

In anycase half the globe is showing that theres a difference in propagation. In Australia for instance they're gearing up for this to be worse during their "winter". Not so much now. This Virus hit Australia before Canada, and yet they have far less of a problem.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Question for the Americans here

What is your reaction to POTUS getting made at reporters from different agencies asking him to clarify what his son in law said

Truth be told I hardly give a damn what is said by the POTUS and will do what I need to do to best protect myself and my family. Do I believe that his SIL is doing a good job? Based on an interview with a retired Army big whig that led the Katrina relief the answer is a resounding no.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Prediction: Virus crests this month in Canada, subsides in May, and Vaccine will start to be available in late fall. Will make the H1n1 vaccine lineups look like childs play. Anybody remember lining up for an hour to get those? Worrying that you contract it in the lineup..

Despite the problems reported in Ecuador, which has such deplorable sanitation it still skirts with Cholera epidemic, the virus isn't spreading as well in warmer climes. Like I mentioned earlier 90% of the cases are from regions above the tropic of Cancer and Europe and NA are having very cold springs. Soon as it warms up this will start to subside. Longer days, more UV, more humidity, more people outside instead of inside is all bad for the virus. Lower Mainland BC already making headway and active cases actually not increasing. Vancouver which should have a big problem with this contagion like GTA and Montreal but surprisingly doesn't. Wouldn't be surprised if coastal breeze is another factor dissipating this virus in the outdoors. Like most virus, bacteria, this spreads better indoors in places without adequate ventilation, without adequate natural daylight.

In anycase half the globe is showing that theres a difference in propagation. In Australia for instance they're gearing up for this to be worse during their "winter". Not so much now. This Virus hit Australia before Canada, and yet they have far less of a problem.
Hope you're right with your prediction. That means only 2-3 more months of lockdown. But right now, despite all these "claims" of cures and vaccinations coming forth, the scientific community is in a frenzied state of desperately trying to find something, anything to combat this. In short, a lot of throwing shit against the wall and hoping something sticks. And even if they are convinced they've found something that they say worked on some field mice, it may be months before we know if it works for us.
I'm still sticking to my prediction of lockdown till end of June, but by then, people start to go stir crazy and many flaunt the current rules and it flares up again, carrying us into the fall.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't know how its even relevant in the scheme of things in shopping. The average shopper touches 100 items while in the store, with the debit machine just being another. Everybody sanitizes their hands immediately after shopping right?

We sanitize before going to store, after putting bags in car, we leave bags in cool garage as long as possible, take in and carefully unpack, sanitize hands and surfaces immediately after unpacking. Assume that every product you buy is contaminated, DO NOT buy much fresh produce now, the only time you shouldn't. Frozen is your friend now, canned goods are preferable now, one of the only times this is the case. If one must buy fruits and veggies get pre bagged quantity. Nobody has handled those apples, oranges, Peppers much.

In anycase the basket or shopping cart handle has as much bacteria or virus on it than anything. I only ever take a cart that has been parked OUTSIDE (ones parked in full sunlight). One of the benefits of a winter climate is some virus half life can be effected even through minutes of say -15C temps. UV rays also effect the half life viability.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hope you're right with your prediction. That means only 2-3 more months of lockdown. But right now, despite all these "claims" of cures and vaccinations coming forth, the scientific community is in a frenzied state of desperately trying to find something, anything to combat this. In short, a lot of throwing shit against the wall and hoping something sticks. And even if they are convinced they've found something that they say worked on some field mice, it may be months before we know if it works for us.
I'm still sticking to my prediction of lockdown till end of June, but by then, people start to go stir crazy and many flaunt the current rules and it flares up again, carrying us into the fall.

I'm trying to be optimistic, and theres as you say conflicting information, studies, etc. A Seattle study asserted that one person propagation which had been around 2.6 infected per carrier is now down to a manageable 1.4 and with new cases decreasing. Any decrease in the coefficients like that mean radical differences in transmission numbers. They were the first area to be hard hit, and yet its under control now. Isolation, social distancing, they really slow this anytime the propagation number falls below around 2.

This last bit is a take I haven't seen expressed, its just an intuitive take, that this virus has spread through the world and yet its infected a very small part of ANY population the world over. Even if one assumes a lot of unknown cases it hits maybe around 1/1000 people. Or maybe 1/500 even taking ample consideration. Thats been the indication in most places around the world and pretty much anywhere but NY, Spain, Italy. So my feeling is that once this blows through the population that are susceptible to getting this, its pretty much gone until the next outbreak. I see nothing in the real world stats that indicates that 40-70% of populations will be infected with this. Nothing in the real world numbers is suggesting that kind of spread except in massively dense pop areas where people don't limit contacts.

Look at the cases /million pop around the world. The world average is 152/M people btw.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,182,398 Cases and 63,899 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

None of this is meant to diminish any concern with Covid-19 and I have been concerned about it since January. Keep social isolating people, numbers in Western Canada are solid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad