OT: Coronavirus. NHL conference call with announcement shortly after

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The vaccine is about a year out, yes.

There will probably be a six or possibly seven digit death total by then, but hey, the worry "was needless".

I wonder if there will even be a vaccine. After the initial boom, interest(and money) seems to quickly disappear. Pretty sure they never actually finished a vaccine for SARS, MERS or Zika.

Also, sounds like strains of Coronavirus are incredibly hard to make a vaccine for due to "immune enhancement". It'll be tough to speed up trials on something that has the potential to make the disease worse.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Join the party. I look at almost anything differently and for that get called an idiot. I mean I can be called a lot of things, an ahole, but I'm not actually an idiot;)

Speaking of which idiocracy continues to be one of the most telling commentaries on humanity since Orwell was writing. In my humble and stupid opinion;)

Kick ass. Don't want to sound like a dick or nothing, it says on your chart that you're f***ed up. You talk like a **g and your shit's all ******ded.

Don't worry scro, there's plenty of ******ed people living lots of kick ass lives, my first wife is ******ed, shes a pilot now.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
With the refs being told to book flights home the hiatus is inevitable right now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Suddenly my safest interactions are with you guys and gals... can't say I saw that coming.

That's always been the case. You just never realized it till now.

tenor.gif

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder if there will even be a vaccine. After the initial boom, interest(and money) seems to quickly disappear. Pretty sure they never actually finished a vaccine for SARS, MERS or Zika.

Also, sounds like strains of Coronavirus are incredibly hard to make a vaccine for due to "immune enhancement". It'll be tough to speed up trials on something that has the potential to make the disease worse.

The article I read yesterday said that coronaviruses are indeed incredibly hard to make, and there there has never been a successful one made before. That article also talked about the grave dangers of immune enhancement that exist with coronaviruses. Maybe we read the same article.

Reactions: McDNicks17

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Two typical idiot redneck parents sent their kids to school in St. Albert after the family came back from a cruise. Apparently the two kids have the virus, the school did not send any sort of letter out or tell the parents to keep the kids home for a while.

Man, its so sad how many low IQ people run schools and the school systems. You would think this would be the opposite right?

People, at the population level, are almost unimaginably stupid. This is why laws, and systems have to be put in place to save them from themselves. It's kinda crazy that schools haven't been shut down across the country yet to be honest.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
As late as august? One month between seasons? Problem is also the Olympics. Many players want to play

everyone will have to wait to see that they know what the infection rates are and when cases start to drop before they can decide what to do.

I have "symptoms" here....having not traveled abroad....and so i dont need to get a test under the current "plan".

I expect that will change in a week if the government does decide to track cases, quarantine and try to save a few thousand people in Canada.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Oh i
I think i am in the middle when it comes to this issue. Its not Spanish flu levels of bad, most people will recover, but the elderly and sick are vulnerable and the issue is trying not to overburden the health care systems in the respective countries this is happening in. So i don't think a delirious level of panic is necessary, or fear. Just being level headed and stock up on a few extras to self isolate and eventually we will clear this thing out.

I think the media is guilty of creating panic instead of an informed approach, its more of Apocalypse 2020, are you going to survive? Nice reporting.
oh I agree. Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s over blown for sure, but a hoax is a little far. I also think the media and the rest of the world just doesn’t quite understand it yet so they are maybe more scared than they should be. I think people in their 30s that are reasonably healthy are fine. But it would be more scary if an older man like my dad got it who’s already weak from cancer. I think that is the biggest scare. Might not be any worse than the common cold, but the common cold can be serious with older people too. It’s just crazy how quick this virus has spread.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
People, at the population level, are almost unimaginably stupid. This is why laws, and systems have to be put in place to save them from themselves. It's kinda crazy that schools haven't been shut down across the country yet to be honest.
Probably for a couple reason, there hasn't been much in population spread of the illness in Canada so far and it doesn't seem to affect kids that much, though there's a kid in Calgary who has it now.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Call me crazy but I think Canada should shut its borders. The US is not testing and taking this virus seriously... and it's all coming to Canada.

Reactions: OnTheBrink

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Probably for a couple reason, there hasn't been much in population spread of the illness in Canada so far and it doesn't seem to affect kids that much, though there's a kid in Calgary who has it now.

Apparently kids are the carriers in lots of situations though (for really, really, REALLY obvious reasons, if you have ever had a kid). So the kid has the virus, doesn't get symptoms (for reasons that don't seem to be well understood at this point) and then infects the family at home. One of the primary vectors is in fact schools. Joe Rogan had an expert on the other day and one of the FIRST things you should do is close schools, for the very reasons I'm describing here.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
good article:
Coronavirus: What Canada can expect to happen in the next two weeks - Macleans.ca

Canada is about a couple weeks behind will go either the way of South Korea and Japan and "flatline" the outbreak

or the way of Italy, with mass explosive cases

Canada is different from any of those cases. Our population density is not anywhere close to any of those countries, but we are also not as prepared for a major respiratory tract infection outbreak like Korea and Japan were.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Call me crazy but I think Canada should shut its borders. The US is not testing and taking this virus seriously... and it's all coming to Canada.

Our borders to the US, and everywhere else, should be shut for all things that aren't critical (food, medical supplies, etc). Travelling for leisure or non-essential business should be stopped immediately.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
If NBA and looks like NHL owners think it’s serious enough to cost themselves probably 10’s of millions of dollars put PM should clue in and shut shit down.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Canada is different from any of those cases. Our population density is not anywhere close to any of those countries, but we are also not as prepared for a major respiratory tract infection outbreak like Korea and Japan were.
true, but I think our low population density will be a major positive for us....provided we follow instructions like washing hands, isolating ourselves and got gathering in large groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad