Coronavirus Impact on Minor Hockey

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I saw this video come up on Twitter today talking about the Peoria Civic Center being in trouble due to the impact from the pandemic. It mentions briefly at the end how it is not the only other arena facing similar problems.

If the Peoria Civic Center doesn't get it's funding, there would likely be a ripple effect of the SPHL losing the Rivermen. But also that ominous mention of other arenas facing the same stakes may mean trouble for the immediate future of minor league (and in some cases junior) hockey if those are in other cities with teams, or the often talked about/rumored expansion candidate locations.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... ominous mention of other arenas facing the same stakes may mean trouble for the immediate future of minor league (and in some cases junior) hockey if those are in other cities with teams, or the often talked about/rumored expansion candidate locations.
A potential upside of this pandemic-driven economic situation (I hesitate to call it a "crisis" as I was inclined) is the fact that individual U.S. states have been left to their own plans & methods for public health protection - as illustrated in this New York Times article. These differences/disparities could offer sports businesses options for relocation if their current home states & localities are or will become unfriendly places to entertain public crowds. Still LOTS of moving parts & unknown conditions/responses ahead, but teams & fans & communities should look at our current conditions as possible opportunities as we struggle through the challenges.

Reactions: mk80

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I doubt covid will have that much of an effect on the AHL. The majority of NHL teams seem to be happy on where there affiliate is located. There has not been a lot reported about any echl team's in serious trouble either.

Last edited:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
A potential upside of this pandemic-driven economic situation (I hesitate to call it a "crisis" as I was inclined) is the fact that individual U.S. states have been left to their own plans & methods for public health protection - as illustrated in this New York Times article. These differences/disparities could offer sports businesses options for relocation if their current home states & localities are or will become unfriendly places to entertain public crowds. Still LOTS of moving parts & unknown conditions/responses ahead, but teams & fans & communities should look at our current conditions as possible opportunities as we struggle through the challenges.

I don't see restrictions on gatherings outlasting the rollout of a vaccine. Going into permanent bunker mode would be an economic disaster.

Reactions: sabremike and mk80

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don't see restrictions on gatherings outlasting the rollout of a vaccine. Going into permanent bunker mode would be an economic disaster.
I'm with you emotionally on those points. But the PCC & the Rivermen may only have 2 months before gatherings in Peoria are a thing of the past. :(

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
There has not been a lot reported about any echl team's in serious trouble either.
Nothing reported specifically due to Covid, but I was already surprised to see Brampton finishing last season so I don’t see how much longer they will last. Also there were reports of Newfoundland not allowing gatherings until there was a vaccine so I could see both teams in a bit of trouble for this upcoming season

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Nothing reported specifically due to Covid, but I was already surprised to see Brampton finishing last season so I don’t see how much longer they will last. Also there were reports of Newfoundland not allowing gatherings until there was a vaccine so I could see both teams in a bit of trouble for this upcoming season

I could see the Canadian teams needing to sit out (like the Mexican teams in indoor soccer), with the hiatus ending the Beast.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I'm with you emotionally on those points. But the PCC & the Rivermen may only have 2 months before gatherings in Peoria are a thing of the past. :(

I didn't realize that by "unfriendly", you were referring to arenas shutting down permanently instead of cities keeping bans in place permanently.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I didn't realize that by "unfriendly", you were referring to arenas shutting down permanently instead of cities keeping bans in place permanently.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Actually, it was awkward wording on my part in retrospect. My intent for "unfriendly places to entertain public crowds" was to reflect situations of greatly reduced arena capacity limits (with possible further reductions of income from concessions due to restrictions on food services) for a significant period of time which would make doing business there "unfriendly" to the bottom lines of the lessees. Presuming a slow decline in U.S. public cases of infection (I'm hoping for the decline part), I believe such capacity limits will vary widely from state to state - and in some cases city to city - as the calendar turns to 2021. So there could be hockey team owners considering relocation to less restrictive locales so they can start to recoup their losses sooner & at a greater pace; and there could be arena owners elsewhere clamoring for their business. This might become a driver for significant changes in the footprints of both minor pro & U.S. junior leagues, though it does appear on the junior side that the preferred option will be to suspend ops for a season & see how things shake out. So maybe relocation for ECHL & SPHL teams will be a bridge (or a rink) too far. The FPHL, on the other hand, seem quite well practiced at pulling up stakes & taking their circuses to another town.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This might become a driver for significant changes in the footprints of both minor pro & U.S. junior leagues, though it does appear on the junior side that the preferred option will be to suspend ops for a season & see how things shake out. So maybe relocation for ECHL & SPHL teams will be a bridge (or a rink) too far. The FPHL, on the other hand, seem quite well practiced at pulling up stakes & taking their circuses to another town.
I would say that's also on the table for a lot of minor pro teams to as opposed to relocation as well. Especially if arenas in potential relocation sites close down due to the fallout from all of this.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The Peoria Civic Center is managed by ASM Global, a division of AEG Live. Sounds like another corporate arena manager begging for a handout. If they don't get it, it's not like the venue will cease to exist. There may be some serious restructuring to the arena business as a whole, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in the long term. It's not like the building is going to be torn down minutes after the government decides they aren't going to write the check.

The arena business, which is built on bringing big crowds together for events so you can sell beer and concessions at greatly inflated prices, is not a good one to be in during a pandemic. Them's the facts. Arena managers and hockey teams are going to go out of business because of it, but hey, that's why we have a bankruptcy code. Someone will start a new company to manage arenas that will fill the void. Someone will start a new hockey league when all of this is over. It's not the end of the world.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The Peoria Civic Center is managed by ASM Global, a division of AEG Live. Sounds like another corporate arena manager begging for a handout. If they don't get it, it's not like the venue will cease to exist. There may be some serious restructuring to the arena business as a whole, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in the long term. It's not like the building is going to be torn down minutes after the government decides they aren't going to write the check.

The arena business, which is built on bringing big crowds together for events so you can sell beer and concessions at greatly inflated prices, is not a good one to be in during a pandemic. Them's the facts. Arena managers and hockey teams are going to go out of business because of it, but hey, that's why we have a bankruptcy code. Someone will start a new company to manage arenas that will fill the void. Someone will start a new hockey league when all of this is over. It's not the end of the world.

But the Matlock Expressway has to be built...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad