OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I had it in September/October last year. Its effect on me was miraculously a milder variant. I had some problems after the first jab in May,nbut am generally pretty OK. My wife was not so fortunate. She was hospitalized in intensive care and still has all kinds of post CoVid symptoms including breathing difficulties. She was 39 at the time. My youngest daughter Aurora was 3 when she got infected together with us. She had it for 7 weeks. I am not going to talk about the effects on her because it both saddens and troubles me. Terrible disease.

Sorry to hear about both you and your family and Gardner’s problems. Getting well can be a process that takes a lot of time and patience.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One other thing to keep in mind as far as hospitals, staffing and medical supplies—anything that has to do with logistics at all. In a pandemic too much is way way better than not enough. When you’re running out of beds, ventilators, when you’re running your staffing into the ground you’re f***ing up and that’s what we’re seeing out of Florida, Texas and many of the southern and some Midwestern states right now.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
yeesh. Was this brought on post covid? Did you have pre existing conditions?
Yep. All post COVID.
Breathing issues such as tightness in chest, sometimes not being able to breath in as much as you should be able to?
As a side question what about during physical activity, is your hr is higher than it should be and can you can feel your heart pounding in a weird way?

Regardless id just get it checked out especially since you said its getting worse. Its worth a day of your time even if they say its absolutely nothing. At least you will be sure.

I hope all gets better! Best of luck.

Yep. My hr when doing any sort of cardiovascular exercise is sky high and my endurance is embarrassingly low. I've read of some people having it as a long term issue post COVID. Just curious if anyone here went through it.

Probably going to see my doctor soon. We have a baby girl due in October so if I need to take any FMLA time, could get two birds with one stone, help fix whatever is wrong with me and spend some time at home with our second child.

I have a family member staying with me currently. He was suffering from long covid. He has had difficulty breathing and inflammation.

He was prescribed a 'shock/bomb' of steroids. ( predisone ). He started with a LARGE daily dose, then went down 10mg daily until it runs out. FAIR WARNING, this amount of steroids will all but guarantee destroying your sleep. Even when it runs out there will counter effects. It's been roughly a 2week process.

He's finally feeling better. He's also been on an anti-inflammatory diet.

This is completely anecdotal. This isn't advice. Ask your doctor if it's something that can work.

Now this I am going to ask about. Never heard of that and honestly, I am desperate. I started playing pickleball last week (hardly a sport that requires tons of endurance) and after one short match I felt like I just ran the Boston Marathon.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yep. My hr when doing any sort of cardiovascular exercise is sky high and my endurance is embarrassingly low. I've read of some people having it as a long term issue post COVID. Just curious if anyone here went through it.

Probably going to see my doctor soon. We have a baby girl due in October so if I need to take any FMLA time, could get two birds with one stone, help fix whatever is wrong with me and spend some time at home with our second child.

Yeah I’m feeling those exact stuff that I asked you about which is why I was curious. Although I started feeling it slightly after I got vaccinated, I did have covid a bit over a year ago though. I’m a big cyclist so the difference has been quite noticeable. Haven’t got it checked out yet though.

That’s good to hear, and congrats with the kid! Hope all goes well!

Reactions: Gardner McKay

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yep. All post COVID.

Now this I am going to ask about. Never heard of that and honestly, I am desperate. I started playing pickleball last week (hardly a sport that requires tons of endurance) and after one short match I felt like I just ran the Boston Marathon.
Congratulations! Me too! Number 2 for me, is she going to be your first?

And yes, I would see your doctor. You may need a rescue inhaler to carry with you at all times plus a daily inhaler to keep those spasms and exacerbations at bay.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Without getting too political, I just wanna get this off my chest.

I get the skepticism. The media sells panic. The government wants control and loves to use fear. Corporate America will find a way to come out on top of literally any situation and profit from it. I think we all agree on those things across the political spectrum even if our respective solutions are different.

Life is not risk-free and the aforementioned entities will push even minimal risk to scare and control you, I absolutely believe that.

On top of that, bird flu, swine flu, the original SARS, mad cow, West Nile, zika, and ebola all came and and went (or just hung around) and never affected my life one bit.

So when it's real, there's a tendency to lean on that "oh, horse feathers" response. That was me in January of 2020.

This one is real. I'm not repeating anybody's agenda. I'm telling you as a regular person, I saw it. Back in March of 2020, we had 3-4 days in New York where ambulance sirens literally never stopped around the clock. We had a death in my family; 58 years old and the guy didn't have a thing wrong with him. This is no BS. No "he had a heart attack and then tested positive." Nah, this was "complications from COVID-19." I heard what the doctor said. In one lab, 3 of my 18 students lost grandparents. 3 out of 18. Another student of mine picked up decent-paying hours at a morgue because the morgue had so many bodies that they needed help. This virus is not f***ing around with you.

I get the hesitancy. I never liked vaccines. But nothing wrong with the vaccine is gonna be worse than I witnessed last year. That's the way I look at it.

Granted, some of the arguments I've heard, like it's mild for most people, or we're generously counting deaths, or the mental effects of isolation are worse, etc may be mostly true now...if you're vaccinated.

If you're not, you're still living in the reality I described above. This isn't fear mongering, this is what I saw. It's what @Gardner McKay saw in his life. We might disagree on things but I know this man a long time now and modded with him -- he's a straight shooter. This is not a fire you wanna play with.

It's not like I described for the most part in 2021 and I firmly believe it's because we're majority vaccinated.

If the "neighbor" argument doesn't appeal to you, you might be saving yourself by getting it. Either your life or long-term damage. It doesn't hit most people that hard but it hits enough people and if it happens, you're gonna wish you could go back and take the out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yep. All post COVID.

It wasn't covid but I suffered from post viral syndrome my freshman year of college (after the flu) which triggered my asthma. They had me take daily treatments on a nebulizer and I felt like an old man but it was night and day after about a week.

My advice is to seek multiple opinions. There's good and bad doctors. A few years ago I stopped eating because there was something wrong with my stomach. I was 165 lbs. First guy I went to said it was all in my head and was really snooty and unhelpful. Second guy I went to was sharp and empathetic. Correctly diagnosed me with a minor issue and got me out of the worst rut of my life. I was 205 lbs a few months later.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Carlos Sanchez the Director of Public Affairs in Hidalgo County Texas says that of the current hospitalized covid population in his county 125 out of 425 are 11 years old or younger. That’s right about 30% of the hospitalized. This covid Delta variant is attacking under 65’s a lot harder than any of the preceding variants.

I mean...11 years old or younger can't be vaccinated yet so in many places they're one of the biggest groups of unvaccinated people left. Those pools are going to be hit harder than the vaccinated groups (and over 65 is probably one of the better vaccinated groups across the country)

I don't think it has anything to do with age and everything to do with vaccination status (you can still get sick, sometimes even badly sick, while vaccinated but it still offers prevention protection) as well as under 65's probably doing more social gathering in general.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I mean...11 years old or younger can't be vaccinated yet so in many places they're one of the biggest groups of unvaccinated people left. Those pools are going to be hit harder than the vaccinated groups (and over 65 is probably one of the better vaccinated groups across the country)

I don't think it has anything to do with age and everything to do with vaccination status (you can still get sick, sometimes even badly sick, while vaccinated but it still offers prevention protection) as well as under 65's probably doing more social gathering in general.

The virus has mutated and adapted and really I don’t think there are any age groups that are relatively safe anymore. People can say ‘but this’ ‘but that’ but this isn’t June 2020 anymore and we’re finding out more and more about this virus but not everyone is keeping up.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The virus has mutated and adapted and really I don’t think there are any age groups that are relatively safe anymore. People can say ‘but this’ ‘but that’ but this isn’t June 2020 anymore and we’re finding out more and more about this virus but not everyone is keeping up.

So far the data says that being vaccinated helps. Helps prevent symptomatic disease, helps prevent serious illness. It's not perfect though so of course we see cases in the vaccinated.

I don't think that there's any real data that it is somehow adapted to be worse for younger people, my point is just that high rates of kids getting sick is because they're not vaccinted, they're being put back in school, and overall younger people are probably engaging in riskier behavior (though I can't quantify that one)

Reactions: eco's bones

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
@Gardner McKay

When I had COVID back in October it definitely took me a couple of months to get back to feeling better in terms of cardiovascular health. My heart rate would go up quickly. I attributed that to the virus and the fact that leading up to it and after I was more sedentary in general. I just took it slow and kept working at it with longer exercises like biking that would not spike my heart rate as quickly but get my body back to using breathing and oxygen better.

Hockey for me was the last thing that came back just because of the pure nature of the cold air plus heavy breathing during a shift. Many guys on my team had similar experiences as well.

I'd say go get it checked out but don't get down, just keep working on it as your body allows.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So far the data says that being vaccinated helps. Helps prevent symptomatic disease, helps prevent serious illness. It's not perfect though so of course we see cases in the vaccinated.

I don't think that there's any real data that it is somehow adapted to be worse for younger people, my point is just that high rates of kids getting sick is because they're not vaccinted, they're being put back in school, and overall younger people are probably engaging in riskier behavior (though I can't quantify that one)

FWIW I’m working on my second vaccination card so you’re preaching to the choir. I had Pfizer shots in February and March was then advised by my transplant doctor to revaccinate in August and got a third Pfizer shot on the 5th in a house call by a county nurse and I’ll have my 4th on the 26th and I’m very much looking forward to it and NYS has just announced yesterday that those with underlying conditions or comorbidities are eligible for a booster shot right now as in today but if you’ve just gotten your second shot you’ll need to wait 28 days. So sometime in late September I might be getting my 5th shot.

As far as kids under 12–a lot of them are getting sick now. I think I heard today that there are 2000 kids nationwide currently hospitalized for Covid and some of them are intubated and we’re seeing more kids dying. Kids going back to school should at the very least wear masks. I’m hoping they’ll get the go ahead to get vaccinated as well.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I personally know nurses and docs that tell varying stories of the pre vaccine covid atmosphere. One of my friends said that their hospital was not anywhere close to capacity. All stories, including yours, are anecdotal. The actual death numbers tell the story. Yes, way too many died, many because they were not being treated properly. Many because of pre existing conditions that made them more susceptible to this virus.

Again, I think we should all get the vax, but I also think that this virus is also being used for political gain and that's sickening. I just don't put anything past these cretins in Washington.
Man shot 6 times waits more than a week for surgery after hospital is overwhelmed by covid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/16/joel-valdez-houston-covid-hospitals/

Anecdotal though…

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
FWIW I’m working on my second vaccination card so you’re preaching to the choir. I had Pfizer shots in February and March was then advised by my transplant doctor to revaccinate in August and got a third Pfizer shot on the 5th in a house call by a county nurse and I’ll have my 4th on the 26th and I’m very much looking forward to it and NYS has just announced yesterday that those with underlying conditions or comorbidities are eligible for a booster shot right now as in today but if you’ve just gotten your second shot you’ll need to wait 28 days. So sometime in late September I might be getting my 5th shot.

As far as kids under 12–a lot of them are getting sick now. I think I heard today that there are 2000 kids nationwide currently hospitalized for Covid and some of them are intubated and we’re seeing more kids dying. Kids going back to school should at the very least wear masks. I’m hoping they’ll get the go ahead to get vaccinated as well.

Yeah I was more just talking than trying to argue or anything :)

The timing of the kids vaccines and school starting is messed up and it feels like something really should have been done differently around that. I think everyone just heard the original information of "kids aren't a vulnerable group, most of the time they don't get serious cases at all" and that somehow got translated into "kids don't get COVID" and everyone felt it was fine not worry about.
I dunno, I hope they get approval for at least 5-12 real soon

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Looked at some data from Israel, the effectiveness of the vaccine really drops off at 6 months post. We're gonna have boosters in our life soon and for a while to come.

The WHO: NO BOOSTERS UNTIL THE WHOLE WORLD GETS FREE FIRST DOSES. YOU WILL PAY FOR THEM TO GET IT AND YOU WILL LIKE IT, OTHERWISE YOU ARE AN IMMORAL HEATHEN

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
About two weeks after I got my 2nd shot just have felt off the past month or so. Went to several doctors, had full blood work done, Brain MRI done, everything was good. I finally went to a ENT Doctor and said I have Sinusitis and rhinitis. I get these waves where I feel foggy, pressure around the nose and eyes, and a little fatigued and just off. It comes and goes. I really think this vaccine did something to my immune system, I've had sinuses most of my life but not like this. I mean it's better than getting full blown Covid of course. I can still function but just am off a little.

Has anyone had any kind of long term side effects from the Vaccine? I got the Pfizer one. Maybe it's just the air quality and there is more dust than usual in the air and really effecting my sinuses?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
About two weeks after I got my 2nd shot just have felt off the past month or so. Went to several doctors, had full blood work done, Brain MRI done, everything was good. I finally went to a ENT Doctor and said I have Sinusitis and rhinitis. I get these waves where I feel foggy, pressure around the nose and eyes, and a little fatigued and just off. It comes and goes. I really think this vaccine did something to my immune system, I've had sinuses most of my life but not like this. I mean it's better than getting full blown Covid of course. I can still function but just am off a little.

Has anyone had any kind of long term side effects from the Vaccine? I got the Pfizer one. Maybe it's just the air quality and there is more dust than usual in the air and really effecting my sinuses?

Most likely this.

A ton of people in the Tri state area have had upper respiratory issues this summer. Some of it is because of the blow over from the fires out west, but allergies are also at an all time worse so yeah the air quality is bad and you got trees/grass/etc doing their best to make you feel miserable

I highly recommend using a neti pot or some sort of nasal rinse if you don't do so already.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most likely this.

A ton of people in the Tri state area have had upper respiratory issues this summer. Some of it is because of the blow over from the fires out west, but allergies are also at an all time worse so yeah the air quality is bad and you got trees/grass/etc doing their best to make you feel miserable

I highly recommend using a neti pot or some sort of nasal rinse if you don't do so already.

My friend told me about the neti pot also. I have been using a Flonase spray and hasn't helped that much.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Yes, the actual definition of anecdotal.
Way more to this story than we know.

Alabama has negative ICU beds now. Thats statewide.

Also among the lowest vaccination rates in the US. I really do not think this is “anecdotal”. Hospital care is a very finite resource. It’s just math.

I’m not trying to say anything other than people who don’t get the vaccine and mask up right now making it hard for everyone else. We all have a role to play here. It’s not a “personal choice” when someone decides to go against recommendations of the entire medical community and virologists. Even if they don’t pay for it with their life by succumbing to COVID-19, it could easily come back to bite them when they need other medical attention that hospitals are equipped to provide in less taxing circumstances, but can no longer provide at the current rate.

I guess you can say “my body, my choice” like with smokers or drinkers but then you should not be allowed to go anywhere public. We don’t allow smoking in places, why should we allow unmasked or unvaccinated people?

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

About 1-2 months month ago I started having the worst outdoor allergies I've ever had. Getting better only recently. Daily headaches and congestion around eyes and behind nose. Constantly need to blow out a lung to get the gook out, only to need to do it again 10 minutes later. I generally have mild indoor dust allergies, but it was so bad. I even looked up if lots of rain can make it worse which supposedly it can make worse (stirring up allergens in the air) and also improve (knocking allergens to the ground) lol. It's all 'makes sense' science, not actually evidence based or studied, what I like to call useless-but-still-sound-smart science, so take it for what it's worth.

I didn't consider if my immune system was thrown a bit out whack from the vaccine a couple of months prior, but that kind of makes-sense-science so we can go with that too. None of this will ever be studied in depth so who knows for real.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My friend told me about the neti pot also. I have been using a Flonase spray and hasn't helped that much.

It's life changing. I use one on the regular and it's the only reason I've been able to function the last few months.

If you do decide to use one, just make sure you heat the water enough to kill all the bacteria and then let it cool to the point its warm (where it won't burn the lining of your nasal cavity) instead of using just warm water - There have been instances where people have just used warm water in lieu of doing the above and have had their brains fall victim to protozoa.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's life changing. I use one on the regular and it's the only reason I've been able to function the last few months.

If you do decide to use one, just make sure you heat the water enough to kill all the bacteria and then let it cool to the point its warm (where it won't burn the lining of your nasal cavity) instead of using just warm water - There have been instances where people have just used warm water in lieu of doing the above and have had their brains fall victim to protozoa.

My friend recommended to use distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad