Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Mandatory vaccines for travel is not new. Before for yellow fever etc... people had to vaccinate themselves before going to other countries.

in the history of Canada we have never "forced" any vaccinations; and I don't expect it to be the case now.

I am going to take the vaccine when one is made available for my demographic - if people do not want to take it then they don't have to. France is a good example where majority of the population has decided not to take the vaccine; on the other hand in other countries people have been freely choosing to take the vaccine.

It is a crystal ball; impact of vaccine vs impact of covid (if you get it); in Canada you are free to roll the dice. It sucks that this happened in our lifetime; but it is what it is and we can't run away from it.
I've lived in 4 different countries on 3 different continents. You're right. I always have to get new vaccinations before I can get work visas. It's nothing new.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
CP24 just ran a story with Tory

Basically the police force does not exist to enforce a curfew and it needs to happen with voluntary compliance

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
To clarify, not for Covid yet.

For other diseases:
"Unless they have a valid exemption, children who attend primary or secondary school must be immunized against:
  • diphtheria
  • tetanus
  • polio
  • measles
  • mumps
  • rubella
  • meningitis (meningococcal disease)
  • whooping cough (pertussis)
  • chickenpox (varicella) – required for children born in 2010 or later"

These are the exemptions:

For medical reasons

You must fill out a Statement of Medical Exemption form that has been signed by a physician or nurse practitioner and submit it to your local public health unit. It will indicate the reason for the exemption, such as:
  • your child has a medical condition that prevents them from receiving the vaccine
  • there is evidence of your child’s immunity to the disease, making further immunization unnecessary
For conscience or religious belief
Starting September 1, 2017, you’ll need to:

1. Go to your local public health unit to complete an education session that covers:
  • Basic information about immunization
  • Vaccine safety
  • Immunization and community health
  • Immunization law in Ontario
  • At the end of the session, you’ll receive a Vaccine Education Certificate signed and dated by your public health unit.
  1. Complete a Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form and get it is signed by a commissioner for taking affidavits in Ontario.
  1. Make copies of your certificate and your signed Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form and submit the originals to your local public health unit(they will tell you how). It is important that you keep your copy because the ministry and local public health units do not keep records of your exemption documents.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/vaccines-children-school

Further to that

"Children who do not get immunized are at increased risk of disease. They may be removed from school during a disease outbreak."
https://www.ontario.ca/page/vaccines-children-school

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
One year ago: "The government would never force you to take a vaccination. That's a crazy conspiracy theory".

Now: "Here's why forced vaccinations are a great thing!"
Ya man I hear you, it sucks. I’ll do what ever the f*** it takes to get my business and life back though. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to the vaccine needing to be forced on people.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
One year ago: "The government would never force you to take a vaccination. That's a crazy conspiracy theory".

Seems like a straw man. In this thread, it’s been highlighted that there are mandatory vaccinations (with exemptions allowed) in place right now.

In terms of the bigger question.... what happens if not enough people volunteer to take the vaccine?

does the virus just magically disappear?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Keep in mind these are well established vaccines with a long history with known side effects. May or may not be analogous to the covid vaccines.

ummm they didn’t just require the vaccinations this year after a 100 years of research.

Go back to smallpox and Napoleon. Shortly after the development of inoculation, he imposed Mandatory vaccines.

Over in the “new wold” Massachusetts was first and required vaccination long before the war of 1812. And that’s without global databases on effectiveness.

at some point, there is a start.

I don’t think Canada will ever mandate this.

I do think it’s fair to assume that it will be like it is now.... not taking one excludes you from travel and maybe even employment.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

the government will never mandate it and companies will not endorse it

the covid questions asked at the entrance of stores... has basically became
“are you familiar with the covid questions”
“Yes”
“Ok go on in”

This is what a vaccine mandate would look like

“Doyou have your vaccine”
“Yes”
“Ok go on in”

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
the government will never mandate it and companies will not endorse it

the covid questions asked at the entrance of stores... has basically became
“are you familiar with the covid questions”
“Yes”
“Ok go on in”

This is what a vaccine mandate would look like

“Doyou have your vaccine”
“Yes”
“Ok go on in”
I’m not sure. You might have some sort of digital vaccine passport that you have to scan to get on a plane.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I can see how airports would enforce it ... but Walmart/dollar store/ Costco, etc

not seeing it
Oh ya for sure. Most people want to fly though right, so while it wouldn’t me made mandatory, most people would do it so they could fly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Forced and mandated are not the same thing.

Certain vaccinations are mandatory for every child in Ontario. You may opt out, but if you do and there is an outbreak you might be removed from school for the duration of the outbreak.

Add COVID to that list, change child to adult, and change school to "high risk public settings"

Canada should and will never *force* vaccination, but applying already existing regulations with a similar structure to adapt to a different threat? Makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
CP24 really pushing the narrative that curfews will need to be voluntary compliance because the police don’t have the manpower to enforce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad