OT: Coronavirus chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As long as there is trust in a fiat currency, it can be 'printed' without issues. If the trust ever ceases, you have a crisis whether you're printing or not.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You both seem to think the wallet is infinitely deep and there’s no consequence to printing money willynilly.

Infinitely deep is a pretty big mischaracterization of what I was saying.

What you said was, "congress can’t fund without funds."

What I said was that they have the funds, as evidenced by the fact that they're throwing around trillions of dollars, and have dedicated $175B (not including testing) specifically to hospitals so far, to hopefully address some of the financial problems you were worried about.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As long as there is trust in a fiat currency, it can be 'printed' without issues. If the trust ever ceases, you have a crisis whether you're printing or not.

Printing is consequential to that trust though. If the US was printing like crazy and Europe wasn't the USD would likely tank and the inflation would be very much an issue. As long as the other big players are doing it too it should be OK. The fact that everyone is living the same crisis at the same time changes everything.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Printing is consequential to that trust though. If the US was printing like crazy and Europe wasn't the USD would likely tank and the inflation would be very much an issue. As long as the other big players are doing it too it should be OK. The fact that everyone is living the same crisis at the same time changes everything.
That's why nobody will be allowed to see the gold reserves in Fort Knox anymore, America from stupid amounts of spending from black box projects to saving useless random fish in Minnesota has spent way past the point of no return in regards to money.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know a lot of you folks live in Quebec. Is there any way you can explain what the hell is going on in your province regarding Covid-19? Were precautions simply lighter than the rest of the country? Or are people just ignoring them?

Over half the confirmed cases in Canada are in Quebec despite Quebec only accounting for about 20% of Canada’s population.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I know a lot of you folks live in Quebec. Is there any way you can explain what the hell is going on in your province regarding Covid-19? Were precautions simply lighter than the rest of the country? Or are people just ignoring them?

Over half the confirmed cases in Canada are in Quebec despite Quebec only accounting for about 20% of Canada’s population.
They’re also re-opening Elementary and Pre-Schools and easing off restrictions for some reason.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Actually rules were very strict from the start and people took them very seriously.

What happened is the Coronavirus invaded nursing homes early and these homes were already understaffed. When patients started getting sick, the overwhelmed staff also got sick and/or got scared and left. It created a perfect storm situation with thousands of old, vulnerable people with almost nobody to take care of them and the COVID spread like wildfire. At one point 5,000 workers were missing, mostly in the Montreal area. That's HUGE.

They asked everyone who could help to go help, including the military...but it takes time.

So yeah, that's where those stats come from (97% of our deaths are from nursing homes) and more than 4,000 people from these homes are still infected right now so many more will die in the upcoming weeks.

With that said, our hospital system is at like 30% capacity. It's not that spread in the general population but we have the province with the most tests per capita I believe so that explains the numbers.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They’re also re-opening Elementary and Pre-Schools and easing off restrictions for some reason.
The reason is because these things aren't related to nursing homes and outside nursing homes it's not that bad.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Actually rules were very strict from the start and people took them very seriously.

What happened is the Coronavirus invaded nursing homes early and these homes were already understaffed. When patients started getting sick, the overwhelmed staff also got sick and/or got scared and left. It created a perfect storm situation with thousands of old, vulnerable people with almost nobody to take care of them and the COVID spread like wildfire. At one point 5,000 workers were missing, mostly in the Montreal area. That's HUGE.

They asked everyone who could help to go help, including the military...but it takes time.

So yeah, that's where those stats come from (97% of our deaths are from nursing homes) and more than 4,000 people from these homes are still infected right now so many more will die in the upcoming weeks.

With that said, our hospital system is at like 30% capacity. It's not that spread in the general population but we have the province with the most tests per capita I believe so that explains the numbers.
That’s sad dude. Figured there was something to those outlying stats.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That's too bad. The virus getting into nursing homes is like a spark hitting dry tinder. It just explodes. That was the driving force behind Washington state's high numbers for a while too.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Nursing homes are just so damn vulnerable. A friend of mine has a grandmother in a nursing home outside of NYC. Her family has had no contact with her grandmother, or anyone with information who works for the facility in over three weeks. They called local authorities for a welfare check a few times before finally getting info that her grandmother was apparently still alive. Based on what I heard, it sounded like most of the facility's staff either quit or was isolating due to contracting the virus. Those still left were working 24/7 barely able to keep people fed, let alone pass along information. Crazy, crazy situation.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nursing homes are just so damn vulnerable. A friend of mine has a grandmother in a nursing home outside of NYC. Her family has had no contact with her grandmother, or anyone with information who works for the facility in over three weeks. They called local authorities for a welfare check a few times before finally getting info that her grandmother was apparently still alive. Based on what I heard, it sounded like most of the facility's staff either quit or was isolating due to contracting the virus. Those still left were working 24/7 barely able to keep people fed, let alone pass along information. Crazy, crazy situation.

Yeah that's absolutely horrible. We heard stories here of old people not getting fed, some dehydrated, some needed a diaper change for more than a day. The whole thing looked like concentration camps while there was no one to take care of them. It f***ing sucks to end your life like that.

Things are supposed to change now though...from now on nursing home workers here will get paid minimum $20/hr (some of them were earning like $12-$13 so it was hard to find people to do that job and to keep them). It was a huge wake up call but a dire price to pay.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That's just unacceptable. That can't be allowed to happen where the elderly just get abandoned like that. The city or the state needs to step in and take over that situation if it's that bad.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah that's absolutely horrible. We heard stories here of old people not getting fed, some dehydrated, some needed a diaper change for more than a day. The whole thing looked like concentration camps while there was no one to take care of them. It f***ing sucks to end your life like that.

Things are supposed to change now though...from now on nursing home workers here will get paid minimum $20/hr (some of them were earning like $12-$13 so it was hard to find people to do that job and to keep them). It was a huge wake up call but a dire price to pay.

It's horrible that that's what it took to try and fix a broken system, but I'm glad they're taking measures.

Of course that still wouldn't change things here in America. Everyone would just shrug their shoulders and leave things the exact same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad