Corona Virus Thread Part 4 of Unknown (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
As a side note, the “hoax” statement is being blown so far out of proportion. The amount of people that actually believe that is going to an absolute minimum. Why that keeps getting paraded around I don’t know...
we must run in different circles my friend... lol i'd say a good quarter or so of the people around here seem to think that either covid is just another strain of the flu and no big deal, or they agree it is dangerous but is being co-0pted in order to gain complete control over our lives. we have a mask ordinance in kansas now - 40% of my city council refuse to even wear a mask at city council meetings even though they are required.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
if the border wasn't closed i'd invite you over and let you rethink your assessment about how sensible people are. We're talking armed revolution and overthrow of governors.... over a mask requirement. :laugh:

Yeah I see the news too, but I still think those idiots represent a fairly small proportion of the population. Also, just because they are idiots doesn't mean their parents and grand parents are...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As a side note, the “hoax” statement is being blown so far out of proportion. The amount of people that actually believe that is going to an absolute minimum. Why that keeps getting paraded around I don’t know...
Interesting. I hear from my daughter and her husband and family in S California that there are a lot of people who think the whole thing is overblown, and just a way for "liberals" to criticize the president. This has led to a mindset among many that wearing a mask or social distancing is somehow an acceptance of a "liberal" agenda. Maybe things are different in your area?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I guess her parents are at fault for following advice that they heard from what they considered to be trustworthy elected officials:
- large church gatherings are ok/allowed
- no mask is required to attend them
- hydroxychloroquine is effective to treat Covid 19

I wonder if their course of action would have been different if those same elected officials that they considered trustworthy would have said:
- avoid large gatherings altogether
- if you do go to a gathering, masks for any gathering of more than x people is required by all (unless under 2 years old)
- there is no evidence that hydroxychloroquine is effective to treat Covid 19, so go to the doctor/hospital if you have symptoms

Science is key in a pandemic. If the Governor did not allow an exception for Churches regarding large gatherings, they wouldn't have had the option to go. Or if the Church had at least required masks, she might have had a chance. If they had been properly informed regarding hydroxy, they may have had her see a doctor sooner. But yeah, ultimately it's all the parent's fault for following killer advice.
i am a healthcare professional. only idiots advocated using hydroxychloroquine and zithromax. so yes, the parents are to blame.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
we must run in different circles my friend... lol i'd say a good quarter or so of the people around here seem to think that either covid is just another strain of the flu and no big deal, or they agree it is dangerous but is being co-0pted in order to gain complete control over our lives. we have a mask ordinance in kansas now - 40% of my city council refuse to even wear a mask at city council meetings even though they are required.

Kansas huh. Interesting. Of course, I don’t talk to a bunch of people anyways and try to weed myself away from those types of crazy so that could explain it too. :laugh: Crazy from either extreme is a no go for me.

Actually come to think of it, my cousin who lives in Dawsonville, GA did tell me a few weeks ago after our grandmas funeral that the virus is just the bird flu. Left me speechless honestly. :laugh: Didn’t know how to process that. Could be a thing out in the country I guess. Not to stereotype that but....

Anyways, I don’t know where people get their information or why they think the things they do. Do I think our government is corrupt? f*** yeh. Do I think it’s all a conspiracy somehow set up by the Clintons? Uh no.

Personally I’m always skeptical of everything. Even facts can be presented in a manipulative manner. Which is probably why so many people don’t trust the media.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Interesting. I hear from my daughter and her husband and family in S California that there are a lot of people who think the whole thing is overblown, and just a way for "liberals" to criticize the president. This has led to a mindset among many that wearing a mask or social distancing is somehow an acceptance of a "liberal" agenda. Maybe things are different in your area?

I can’t speak for one person across the country in a state run vastly different from mine, but people tend to exaggerate things they don’t agree with. California is very left in general so running into someone on the right could elicit be very critical opinions of the left out there.

I think trying to extrapolate ones own experiences into how the mentality is anywhere is going to get some very biased responses anywhere.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm going to get my hair cut today after work. To book the appointment, the place I'm going to asked me a bunch of questions about my health, and told me that I have to wear a mask. I said fine.

See , no argument, no telling the store owner they are violating my rights, no pulling out the constitution and shoving it in their faces, no protesting outside the store... I want to get my hair cut and those are the rules... so I follow them and I'm fine with that. It makes them feel safe and I get my hair cut.

Covid wouldn't be as bad as it is in some places if people would just stop being assholes. JMO.
That's a reasonable response to a reasonable request. Spending an extended amount of time indoors with someone appears to be how this is spread - so in other words, an interaction exactly like you getting your hair cut (vs say passing someone in the aisle at the grocery store).

I think part of the "anti-mask" sentiment comes from mandates like NJ just imposed where you have to be wearing a mask outside now, even if you're by yourself.

If governments would come out and say "masks should be worn if you'll be in an extended interaction indoors with another person and social distancing can't be practiced", there may be less backlash.

Most people in this thread (that haven't put me on their ignore list lol) know where I stand. That said, if I had hair to be cut (bald), I'd respond exactly like you did. At the same time, nobody should look at me funny for walking down the sidewalk alone maskless.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
That's a reasonable response to a reasonable request. Spending an extended amount of time indoors with someone appears to be how this is spread - so in other words, an interaction exactly like you getting your hair cut (vs say passing someone in the aisle at the grocery store).

I think part of the "anti-mask" sentiment comes from mandates like NJ just imposed where you have to be wearing a mask outside now, even if you're by yourself.

If governments would come out and say "masks should be worn if you'll be in an extended interaction indoors with another person and social distancing can't be practiced", there may be less backlash.

Most people in this thread (that haven't put me on their ignore list lol) know where I stand. That said, if I had hair to be cut (bald), I'd respond exactly like you did. At the same time, nobody should look at me funny for walking down the sidewalk alone maskless.

the KS order is pretty much what you wrote. Inside at all times, other than if you're at the restaurant remove when your food gets here. Outdoors if you can't be reasonably expected to keep a proper social distance.

At our county commission meeting that was voting on whether they'd follow the governors order, it was pretty much a scene from parks & rec. Hell we even had a masked shark. And we had at least a half dozen worried about microchips and mind control in any vaccine. I cannot understate how much this pandemic has exposed who truly messed up a significant portion of the us population is.

Edit - I should mention. I'm in the most affluent county in Kansas. This isn't rural.

Attachments

• 2020-07-08_15-32-29.jpg
    2020-07-08_15-32-29.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
the KS order is pretty much what you wrote. Inside at all times, other than if you're at the restaurant remove when your food gets here. Outdoors if you can't be reasonably expected to keep a proper social distance.

At our county commission meeting that was voting on whether they'd follow the governors order, it was pretty much a scene from parks & rec. Hell we even had a masked shark. And we had at least a half dozen worried about microchips and mind control in any vaccine. I cannot understate how much this pandemic has exposed who truly messed up a significant portion of the us population is.

Edit - I should mention. I'm in the most affluent county in Kansas. This isn't rural.
For the record, I'm in favor of all sharks wearing masks at all times. Or at least when they're near beaches with people

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Im never gonna look at Kansas the same again. :laugh:

Reactions: KCjetsfan

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Many areas in Ontario are making masks mandatory when going within an enclosed public space. I go into other people's homes every day as part of my job and have been wearing one since I went back to work.

My area is more sparsely populated and didn't get hit very hard when all this started, but we're easily within travelling distance of Toronto and there are a lot of people from that area trying to come down here. I'm not going out in fear every time I go to work, and I'm ready for life to get back to as close to normal as is reasonably safe to do so. Wearing a mask, much like actually washing your hands, seems like the least we can do. Especially since so many people are sewing cloth masks that are barely noticeable once you get used to them. My workplace got their hands on a few N95 masks and those things are killer on the ears.

At this point in Canada I think it's just about staying vigilant. Nobody wanted a lockdown to be necessary the first time (and with all the arguments about how dangerous the disease actually is, I'd say it's reasonable to think that with how unknown covid-19 was at the time, a lockdown was necessary), and nobody wants a second lockdown to happen.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah when I enter a client's house I mask up. And we don't just walk into personal care homes anymore. It's now like trying to get into a military institution. But I have no concern at all about grocery shopping. I go in, get what I need and get out. There's no stopping to chat with anyone.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It really is impressive how well controlled Winnipeg/Manitoba has this thing. No cases in 8 days, 8 total active cases.

Now a good portion of that comes down to luck (first case was late, not a lot of travel into area) but it is still impressive when you look around the world and particularly to the south of us.

Reactions: Jets 31

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah I see the news too, but I still think those idiots represent a fairly small proportion of the population. Also, just because they are idiots doesn't mean their parents and grand parents are...

IMO, most of the people you see the most on the news and social media are a very small percentage of the population. I think a VAST majority of people are sensible. This majority may have opinions one way or another, but follow the rules as they are applied.

The media is never going to show someone boring like most of us :) There would be no uproar or controversy, hence no need for the media.

Reactions: buggs

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Another great listen. This one focuses on the adaptive immune system, breaking down the different roles of B cell anitibodues and T cells.

#115 - David Watkins, Ph.D.: A masterclass in immunology, monoclonal antibodies, and vaccine strategies for COVID-19 - Peter Attia

Something I didn't know is that not all IgG antibodies are neutralizing, depending on where they bind on the spike protein. If yhe ligand that binds to the ACE2 receptor isn't covered by it, the antibody doesn't prevent the virus from entering g the cell.

Also, the last few minutes are dedicated to covid19 vaccine talk. These guys are up to date on the studies underway and both seem to think that the one that's rolled out first won't be perfect - may be able to prevent infection in some, and hopefully lessen the severity of symptoms.

This is in line with what I've read of one of them (cant remember if its the Oxford one or the Moderna one). The antibodies the monkeys formed were binding but not neutralizing, so even though they became infected when challenged with the wild virus, the symptoms were milder (probably due to the role the binding antibodies played with interactin with the T cells).

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Increases in Covid 19 deaths lags the increase in cases. The confirmed cases started shooting up a few weeks ago, and now the deaths are shooting up. New record for Coronavirus deaths in one day in Florida. 120. And that's not the real total. The real total is 222. The 120 number reported by the State of Florida doesn't include the additional 102 non Florida residents that died since Wednesday in Florida hospitals from Covid 19. Florida reporting of Covid deaths excludes non-floridians, and it is unclear if those deaths are reported at all in their resident state death counts. It's a way for Florida to under-represent just how bad things are here. Bad for tourism.

Over 8,900 new Florida coronavirus cases reported Thursday; 120 new deaths

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Increases in Covid 19 deaths lags the increase in cases. The confirmed cases started shooting up a few weeks ago, and now the deaths are shooting up. New record for Coronavirus deaths in one day in Florida. 120. And that's not the real total. The real total is 222. The 120 number reported by the State of Florida doesn't include the additional 102 non Florida residents that died since Wednesday in Florida hospitals from Covid 19. Florida reporting of Covid deaths excludes non-floridians, and it is unclear if those deaths are reported at all in their resident state death counts. It's a way for Florida to under-represent just how bad things are here. Bad for tourism.

Over 8,900 new Florida coronavirus cases reported Thursday; 120 new deaths
Just as an FYI, the number of deaths florida reports isn't the deaths for that day - as you said, they lag. Here's yesterday's breakdown

Screenshot_20200709-112647_Twitter.jpg

Makes is a little challenging to get a good grip of what's going on re: deaths in realtime

Edit: with the number of cases having been on the rise since mid June, youd expect deaths to lag 2 weeks from that plus reporting time. On the other hand, the average age of those testing positive is plummeting but it appears the ages of those dying is staying relatively static (therefore its possible that the death number won't rise significantly).

Time will tell

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks like the mortality in the US might be going up again. Wouldn't be all the surprising given the spike in cases and increases in hospitalizations.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Just as an FYI, the number of deaths florida reports isn't the deaths for that day - as you said, they lag. Here's yesterday's breakdown

View attachment 353090

Makes is a little challenging to get a good grip of what's going on re: deaths in realtime

Edit: with the number of cases having been on the rise since mid June, youd expect deaths to lag 2 weeks from that plus reporting time. On the other hand, the average age of those testing positive is plummeting but it appears the ages of those dying is staying relatively static (therefore its possible that the death number won't rise significantly).

Time will tell

I am not sure where that tweeter you quoted is getting her data. The number of reported deaths in Florida for Floridians dying of Covid 19 has averaged 49 per day over the last 2 weeks, with the new peak of 120 reported on Thursday. There are many additional non Floridians dying of Covid 19 in Florida. Florida just doesn't report them.

Without understanding where 'Denise' is sourcing her data, it is hard to correlate it to the official published numbers.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am not sure where that tweeter you quoted is getting her data. The number of reported deaths in Florida for Floridians dying of Covid 19 has averaged 49 per day over the last 2 weeks, with the new peak of 120 reported on Thursday. There are many additional non Floridians dying of Covid 19 in Florida. Florida just doesn't report them.

Without understanding where 'Denise' is sourcing her data, it is hard to correlate it to the official
After looking at the source material, the dates she's referring to may be when the case was initially reported, not the day of death.
Screenshot_20200709-194147_Twitter.jpg

In case you'd like to peruse all the deaths AND cases of your fellow floridians....

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_linelist_latest.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad