The Athletic Corey Pronman's NHL Pipeline Rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres' future looks bright

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I know we’ve heard this song before, but the future looks bright in Buffalo. After moving on from the Jack Eichel rebuild era, this is a new group of high-end young talent Sabres fans hope will be the key to the playoffs again. Led by No. 1 picks Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power on defense, and a ton of highly skilled forwards, we will see if this group gets it done, but for my money this is the best collection of young talent in the league.

Key graduate: Casey Mittelstadt

Key additions: Matthew Savoie, Noah Ostlund, Jiri Kulich, Topias Leionen, Viktor Neuchev, Mats Lindgren, Peyton Krebs

2021 ranking: No. 1

2022 NHL Draft grade: A-

Player Eligibility: All skaters who are 22 years old or younger as of Sept. 15, 2022, regardless of how many NHL games they’ve played, are eligible.

Player Ranking​

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D
2. Dylan Cozens, C
3. Owen Power, D
4. Jack Quinn, RW
5. Peyton Krebs, LW
6. Matthew Savoie, C/RW
7. John-Jason Peterka, LW
8. Jiri Kulich, C/LW
9. Devon Levi, G
10. Noah Ostlund, C

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It probably rarely happens where a team's recent multiple 1st round draft picks aren't in their top 9.

Reactions: elchud

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Based on all these rankings of Lindgren recently, Buffalo certainly got a steal taking him in the 4th round. I mean it's not like Novikov where he improved his stock, kid was just drafted and is put ahead of Rosen, Neuchev and Portillo.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
This is sarcastic?
No? Pronman seems pretty high on him having him ranked above the other guys I listed. Neuchev was taken ahead of him and Rosen was a 1st rounder just last year. Novikov I noted as he seemed to improve his stock from the 6th round last year. Lindgren being just drafted in the 4th seems like a steal if he's rated that highly by some.

Reactions: Matt Ress

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
CP is high on skill I know but its tough not to see what Samuelson brings to the table. I would have in my top 5 with Dahlin, Power, Quinn and Peterka. Hes great already and could be the best defensive defenseman in the league soon. And smart enough to contribute offensively too.
If the sabres find two more like him on d or forward (cozens may be one) . .. that's a playoff team that can compete against anyone.. Samuelson is one of the key pieces to any success the sabres will have going forward

You all would know if there are any examples that a simple forchecking physical player steps it up and becomes a fighter intimidator as he gets older or team need. .. If girgensons ( 6'2") suddenly got pissed ate some fly agaric supposedly beserker mushrooms etc.. Im not expecting it .

Watching kassian try to keep up in Edmonton the same goes for how slow lucic is.. Speed and passing mitigated both and all lucic had was dirt which him and the Kadri types won't win against a speed and an entire group of physically fearless, unhesitating, unflinching etc.
Actually kadri isn't a bad example if he wasn't such a cheap prick.. someone unlike him , honorable, that can skate and pass and intimidate without being scum.. a tkachuck that is a third liner that can actually think faster ..

If the rest is f the roster pans out.

Alot to ask . again has anyone evolved into that role and suddenly tripled their pim. .. let's go all the way if developing within. Murray skated himself back to Rochester or he hasn't read the game quickly and Will take More time. Bloom might be tough but is years out.. who can actually play Hockey

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm happy that Pronman has us at #1 again? Maybe?

But holy hell do I take umbrage with some of the specifics within his ranking of our system:

1.) Dahlin with "below average" compete? Seriously? And "doesn't look like a player you'll be projecting to take tough minutes"????? Seriously? I mean....did he watch Dahlin at all????
2.) Cozens over Power? Hmmmmmmmm.
3.) Power with "average" skating and "average" puck skills? Hmmmmmmm.
4.) Ostlund looks like a "potential 3rd line center"........dude, 3rd line center is like is floor, not his potential.
5.) Johnson over Cobra?
6.) Johnson with "below average" puck skills?????
7.) Cobra a "sure-fire 3rd pairing NHLer"....and only a top 4 if his offense clicks? Dude, he's a top 4 NOW and if his offense really clicks, he's a top-pair guy.
8.) Rosen behind Lindgren and Nadeau? Can I have what he's smoking?
9.) Speaking of smoking -- how do Bloom, Poltapov and Kisakov not rank?
10.) Portillo at 17 and a "likely backup"????

I know he can't watch every prospect in every system...........but man is he off on a LOT.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Cozens has no business being above Power. There is a very clear ceiling on what Cozens can/will become and I don't think that's a perennial all-star by any means. Power's potential is pretty unlimited, on the other hand.

I guess it's a prove-it type situation but that's dumb when it comes to prospect rankings.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Cozens has no business being above Power. There is a very clear ceiling on what Cozens can/will become and I don't think that's a perennial all-star by any means. Power's potential is pretty unlimited, on the other hand.

I've said it time and again -- whenever I really watch Cozens, I see Jeff Carter v2.0. He's played in 2 All-Star games in his career and has always been right around that level.

I think that aspect Pronman has right.

I've also said time and again that Power to me reminds me very much of Jay Bouwmeester.....who was also a 2-time all star.

I don't agree with Pronman putting Cozens ahead of Power.................but there's a coherent argument for it, especially with Pronman's logic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm happy that Pronman has us at #1 again? Maybe?

But holy hell do I take umbrage with some of the specifics within his ranking of our system:

1.) Dahlin with "below average" compete? Seriously? And "doesn't look like a player you'll be projecting to take tough minutes"????? Seriously? I mean....did he watch Dahlin at all????
2.) Cozens over Power? Hmmmmmmmm.
3.) Power with "average" skating and "average" puck skills? Hmmmmmmm.
4.) Ostlund looks like a "potential 3rd line center"........dude, 3rd line center is like is floor, not his potential.
5.) Johnson over Cobra?
6.) Johnson with "below average" puck skills?????
7.) Cobra a "sure-fire 3rd pairing NHLer"....and only a top 4 if his offense clicks? Dude, he's a top 4 NOW and if his offense really clicks, he's a top-pair guy.
8.) Rosen behind Lindgren and Nadeau? Can I have what he's smoking?
9.) Speaking of smoking -- how do Bloom, Poltapov and Kisakov not rank?
10.) Portillo at 17 and a "likely backup"????

I know he can't watch every prospect in every system...........but man is he off on a LOT.

It's hard to imagine someone can view enough of these players in-depth to offer up much more than cursory assessments and build off other, trusted people's opinions. I struggle to view who they already have, let alone trying to do that for 32 teams. I applaud his effort if I too not agree with the selection of his rankings, the why and the wherefore of how he gets the list though make for some stark differences of opinion.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I guess it's a prove-it type situation but that's dumb when it comes to prospect rankings.

My guess is Cozens gets the bump because he’s entering his 3rd NHL season, while Power is entering his first. So it makes sense even if you disagree with it.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No? Pronman seems pretty high on him having him ranked above the other guys I listed. Neuchev was taken ahead of him and Rosen was a 1st rounder just last year. Novikov I noted as he seemed to improve his stock from the 6th round last year. Lindgren being just drafted in the 4th seems like a steal if he's rated that highly by some.
Not even arguing man. It's just nuts. There are a bunch of post 3rds that have big upside from the last 3 drafts

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If the sabres find two more like him on d or forward (cozens may be one) . .. that's a playoff team that can compete against anyone.. Samuelson is one of the key pieces to any success the sabres will have going forward

You all would know if there are any examples that a simple forchecking physical player steps it up and becomes a fighter intimidator as he gets older or team need. .. If girgensons ( 6'2") suddenly got pissed ate some fly agaric supposedly beserker mushrooms etc.. Im not expecting it .

Watching kassian try to keep up in Edmonton the same goes for how slow lucic is.. Speed and passing mitigated both and all lucic had was dirt which him and the Kadri types won't win against a speed and an entire group of physically fearless, unhesitating, unflinching etc.
Actually kadri isn't a bad example if he wasn't such a cheap prick.. someone unlike him , honorable, that can skate and pass and intimidate without being scum.. a tkachuck that is a third liner that can actually think faster ..

If the rest is f the roster pans out.

Alot to ask . again has anyone evolved into that role and suddenly tripled their pim. .. let's go all the way if developing within. Murray skated himself back to Rochester or he hasn't read the game quickly and Will take More time. Bloom might be tough but is years out.. who can actually play Hockey
If you're looking for tough prospects, Nadeau, Kozak and Novikov might be more liable to play the body. As far as fighting, who knows because even bigger guys don't drop the gloves at the NHL level any more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad