Corey Pronman releases another 2024 draft list

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
He’s not usually the biggest fan of smaller player. I’m happy to see he recognizes that Catton is an all around extremely talented player.

I now have him 2nd on my board. All season I switched him and Dickinson between 3rd and 4th but I pushed that up even more recently.
I also love Catton and I've watched your YouTube videos on both Catton and Demidov and you seemed to me to be more hyped about Demidov, what made you change your mind?

Blue Chip Prospect

Feb 9, 2019
Montreal
I also love Catton and I've watched your YouTube videos on both Catton and Demidov and you seemed to me to be more hyped about Demidov, what made you change your mind?
I didn’t make a video about Demidov yet ? Are you talking about the first round ranking video/podcast ?

I’ve been more hyped about Demidov all season. The only difference between now and then is that I’ve moved Catton in the same tier as Demidov. Where before Demidov would have his own tier because I saw him as a good level above the next 8-9-10 or so player, now I moved Catton and Dickinson in that tier.

So overall #2 to #4 are pretty much interchangeable but Catton is the #2….. for now 😆 the reason why is the Level of consistency in Catton’s game and the level of play. Demidov is an incredible 1 on 1 player and he’s the most fun to watch between both but Catton incorporates his teammates way better and make them better shift after shift. Demidov is a better Stickhandler but Catton is a significantly better skater. They’re both gifted offensive player and they both compete hard but Catton has the edge. Gets to the middle more, project as a better 2 way player, win battles, and also project as a center imo. Good on the faceoff even though he’s build on a cat’s frame.

He’s more projectable but in terms of ceiling, I’d still give the edge to Demidov.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
I didn’t make a video about Demidov yet ? Are you talking about the first round ranking video/podcast ?

I’ve been more hyped about Demidov all season. The only difference between now and then is that I’ve moved Catton in the same tier as Demidov. Where before Demidov would have his own tier because I saw him as a good level above the next 8-9-10 or so player, now I moved Catton and Dickinson in that tier.

So overall #2 to #4 are pretty much interchangeable but Catton is the #2….. for now 😆 the reason why is the Level of consistency in Catton’s game and the level of play. Demidov is an incredible 1 on 1 player and he’s the most fun to watch between both but Catton incorporates his teammates way better and make them better shift after shift. Demidov is a better Stickhandler but Catton is a significantly better skater. They’re both gifted offensive player and they both compete hard but Catton has the edge. Gets to the middle more, project as a better 2 way player, win battles, and also project as a center imo. Good on the faceoff even though he’s build on a cat’s frame.

He’s more projectable but in terms of ceiling, I’d still give the edge to Demidov.
Yup I listened to your top 16 video in french, it was that description of Demidov. Also, I might have confused another video of Demidov I watched and attributed to you haha

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Using NHL all-star as a basis for separation is pretty funny, considering being an all-star is mostly meaningless now.

Should probably re-think that one.
He may not be using the ASG as the definition, or he may be saying "All-star caliber player" as in every year may be noise, but if someone makes the ASG in their career, it's a specific tier of player.

At any rate, it's a minor quibble. The point of the list is that Pronman tries to guess what the scouts are thinking. The tiers - call them what you will - try to normalize levels of prospect from year to year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He may not be using the ASG as the definition, or he may be saying "All-star caliber player" as in every year may be noise, but if someone makes the ASG in their career, it's a specific tier of player.

At any rate, it's a minor quibble. The point of the list is that Pronman tries to guess what the scouts are thinking. The tiers - call them what you will - try to normalize levels of prospect from year to year.
I understand the tiers. It's just that 3v3 rosters with every team getting 1 obliterates the term "all-star".

Same thing in the NFL Pro Bowl. 6 guys at positions not going, all of a sudden the 7th best can call himself a Pro Bowler. It just has very little meaning anymore.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like Pronman's lists these days more than most, but maybe he shouldn't do player comps.

If Morgan Rielly had the D technique of Zeev Buium, he'd make the Leafs a better team.

I was happy though to see him swap Buium and Dickinson - Buium belongs in the top 5.

Any other Czechs mentioned?

Adam Jiricek 13th, Badinka 27th. That's it in the top 40.

His comp for Jiricek was Vladislav Gavrikov, which is odd to me. Jiricek can really skate the puck in the offensive zone, while Gavrikov is most noteworthy for his impressive strength, way too much to ever expect from Jiricek, even if he fills out well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I like Pronman's lists these days more than most, but maybe he shouldn't do player comps.

If Morgan Rielly had the D technique of Zeev Buium, he'd make the Leafs a better team.

I was happy though to see him swap Buium and Dickinson - Buium belongs in the top 5.

Adam Jiricek 13th, Badinka 27th. That's it in the top 40.

His comp for Jiricek was Vladislav Gavrikov, which is odd to me. Jiricek can really skate the puck in the offensive zone, while Gavrikov is most noteworthy for his impressive strength, way too much to ever expect from Jiricek, even if he fills out well.
Thank you.. Gavrikov is not a comp I had in mind. I really like Gavrikov but they don't seem similar to me. I don't think either Jiricek with fill our to be a bruiser. More slick.

Badinka may end up in round 1.. about half the latest lists have him there. Definitely a riser! If 2 Czech D go in round 1 I would be ecstatic.. our biggest achilles heel by far!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As someone whose team will pick from Pronman's tier 4 (8 or 9 OA), I will be more than happy with any of those players. Though Parekh is likely the most boom/bust on that list and I think Francis may pass on.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Not the greatest fan of Pronman's list as I disagree with quite a few of his takes.

First and most egregious, I think that Pronman put Yakemchuk way too high in his ranking. I mean, his upside IS intriguing what with the physicality, the hands, the shot, and the instincts he owns. I get it.

But Yakemchuk's skating is too rough and choppy, his defensive reads not advanced enough, his pivots too heavy and slow compared to other defensemen in this draft for me to be comfortable putting him anywhere near that high.

Anywhere after 6 or 7 I would have no problem with seeing Yakemchuk there, but not #3.

Then there's the low rating of Eiserman at 14 that irks me quite a bit.

And a couple guys that I would have lower, like Jiricek, Beaudoin, Miettinen.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Not the greatest fan of Pronman's list as I disagree with quite a few of his takes.
For better or worse, Pronman is basically trying to predict what the NHL scouts think. Take that as you will, not saying he's right even about that.

Reactions: Blueston

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

First and most egregious, I think that Pronman put Yakemchuk way too high in his ranking. I mean, his upside IS intriguing what with the physicality, the hands, the shot, and the instincts he owns. I get it.

But Yakemchuk's skating is too rough and choppy, his defensive reads not advanced enough, his pivots too heavy and slow compared to other defensemen in this draft for me to be comfortable putting him anywhere near that high.

Anywhere after 6 or 7 I would have no problem with seeing Yakemchuk there, but not #3.

Pronman is a clown but he's not too far off on this one I think. I don't know about 3rd overall. Seems possible but not likely. However, I always said that Yakemchuk is a top5 pick in my book. The concerns you listed are legit and if you're looking for a safer pick you take Dickinson. Having said that, as you wrote yourself, Yakemchuk's upside will be just too intriguing for many teams to pass on. His skating may not look great but it's still effective and it's not bad by any means for the big man that he is. It won't stop him from playing a big role in the NHL and it's really just a question of how much of his offensive potential it's gonna cost him. Aaron Ekblad wasn't a better skater than Yakemchuk (some would argue he still isn't) and went 1st overall 10 years ago.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
For better or worse, Pronman is basically trying to predict what the NHL scouts think. Take that as you will, not saying he's right even about that.

yeah that's what I like about his lists. It's nothing original in the end, but you get a good sense of what's actually going to happen at the draft.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

I also thought he overvalued Simashev and But last year mainly because I figured some organizations or most would shy away from drafting Russian talent so high up after the Fedotov situation

Now that's done it struck to me, perhaps Pronman is connected to some people from the Coyotes situation. Their biggest current need is RHD btw from a prospect pov and Yakmechuk could definitely fit the bill there assuming they want RHD plus size and also assuming they ain't landing Levshunov

I wouldn't be shocked if Yakmechuk goes to Utah next year unless new management takes over prior to the draft

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Yakemchuk is worthy of top 5 consideration. If you disagree that's fine but it doesn't make anyone wrong for putting him in that spot on a ranking like Pronman's list.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's what Mackenzie's list is all about.

Pronman is slowly turning into Mckenzie 2.0.

That makes him a must read for me to gauge how NHL scouts are actually going to rank the players. But at the same time, it's still Pronman's personal list, not technically a mock or a scouts poll, so that is some unhelpful ambiguity. I'd like Pronman to be more clear about those distinctions.

Reactions: Castle8130

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022

Maybe he means All-Star team, not ASG? IE, "for at least one year, this player will be first or second in the entire league at their position".

Reactions: Blueston

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Pronman is slowly turning into Mckenzie 2.0.

That makes him a must read for me to gauge how NHL scouts are actually going to rank the players. But at the same time, it's still Pronman's personal list, not technically a mock or a scouts poll, so that is some unhelpful ambiguity. I'd like Pronman to be more clear about those distinctions.
Pronman talks to a lot to NHL scouts that know what they're talking about and then adds his own opinion within his own rankings. Bob's is just the consensus between 10 different NHL scouts. I agree though, it seems like Pronman is getting more and more connections each year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad