Corey Pronman Mid Season ranking

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Now it’s Pronman’s turn (paywall)! He believes it’ll probably be an above average draft with 3 potential 1Cs and 4 potential 1Ds

Here is the ranking:

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Anton Silayev
3. Carter Yakemchuk
4. Cayden Lindstrom
5. Artyom Levshunov

6. Berkly Catton
7. Sam Dickinson
8. Ivan Demidov
9. Cole Eiserman

10. Zayne Parekh

https://theathletic.com/5237141/202...n-ranking-pronman/?source=user_shared_article2024 NHL Draft prospects: Celebrini, Silayev lead Corey Pronman’s midseason ranking

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Above average draft? It looks to be decent at the top, but the depth gets pretty underwhelming once you get out of the 1st round caliber talent. There's always the chance that some NCAA route and European Pro players pop off later, but both pools of those routes look pretty meh right now.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Above average draft? It looks to be decent at the top, but the depth gets pretty underwhelming once you get out of the 1st round caliber talent. There's always the chance that some NCAA route and European Pro players pop off later, but both pools of those routes look pretty meh right now.
While I actually agree that it doesn’t look above average - to play devils advocate if you’re predicting this draft produces a star centerman in Celebrini and a lot of decade long NHL defenseman it probably does end up “above average”. Can see how someone would think so.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Typically the talent in the top 10 and especially the top 5 of a given draft is what determines whether Pronman rates a draft as average or above average etc… he believes that the back half of a 1st round and the depth of a draft class year over year works out to be more or less the same with exceptions

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think this draft is still below average, even in the top 10. Guys have high ceilings but other than Celebrini I think all have question marks to get there.

I think this list is pretty good by Pronman. I’d flip Yakemchuk and Demidov personally but I still like the guys enough and understand how you can have one at 3 and one at 8. Hell this whole 2-10 can be pushed anyway you want

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
That's my assessment too. The #1 oa is pretty darn good and players 2-10 are all good options. Then you have players 11-20 that all have really good upside. It teeters off a bit around #25 oa, but the defensemen you can pick in the late 1st until the end of the 2nd are really good compared to years in the past.

Reactions: hn777 and Kevzzz

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
While I actually agree that it doesn’t look above average - to play devils advocate if you’re predicting this draft produces a star centerman in Celebrini and a lot of decade long NHL defenseman it probably does end up “above average”. Can see how someone would think so.
I measure a draft's quality based on how deep it is after the top 10-15. True depth, not just eliteness of the top picks.

Reactions: Blueston

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Draft strength is always determined by strength of the top. There usually isn't much difference in prospect quality after picks 20ish in a draft, much less across draft years.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I measure a draft's quality based on how deep it is after the top 10-15. True depth, not just eliteness of the top picks.
Wouldn’t really be many quality drafts if that’s the case then. Off the top of my head, only 2003 and 2015 come to mind as two that truly had 20+ studs.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Draft strength is always determined by strength of the top. There usually isn't much difference in prospect quality after picks 20ish in a draft, much less across draft years.
Draft strength is determined by people who only really pay attention to the top of the draft, thinking that draft slot is all that matters. Those people just brush aside the fact that Kucherov was a late 2nd rounder, Point, Sorokin, Guentzel, Rust were 3rd rounders, Shesterkin was a 4th rounder, Stone was a 6th rounder. It's lazy to only measure draft strength simply based on the top. You can have a non elite top of the draft, but very solid depth after the top, stretching several rounds into said draft

Wouldn’t really be many quality drafts if that’s the case then. Off the top of my head, only 2003 and 2015 come to mind as two that truly had 20+ studs.
2011 is a prime example of having a meh to solid top of the draft but several studs found outside of the top 10.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Demidov at 8 is a crime.
Not saying you're wrong especially on pure skill, but the discussion in the Wheeler thread was that Pronman tends to try to capture what NHL scouts are telling him the order is. So Demidov, like Michkov, may slide to 6-8 even if he's 2 (or some bulls say 1) for pure skill and upside.

Reactions: Castle8130

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
2011 is a prime example of having a meh to solid top of the draft but several studs found outside of the top 10.
Think you missed my point. Idc where they were picked. 2011 still starts to fall off pretty hard at 15-20 skaters. So if every team knew exactly how every player would turn out, a pick after the 1st round would be pretty useless.

I think of it like this—
Draft A produces 25 upper half of the line up skaters, but they were all picked in the first round. Draft B produces 18 upper half of the line up skaters, with 9 of them coming in rounds 4-7.

Draft A is still a “deeper” draft IMO.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Think you missed my point. Idc where they were picked. 2011 still starts to fall off pretty hard at 15-20 skaters. So if every team knew exactly how every player would turn out, a pick after the 1st round would be pretty useless.

I think of it like this—
Draft A produces 25 upper half of the line up skaters, but they were all picked in the first round. Draft B produces 18 upper half of the line up skaters, with 9 of them coming in rounds 4-7.

Draft A is still a “deeper” draft IMO.
I think we just view the draft differently. That's fine. Everyone pays attention to the top of the draft, it's the easiest to study before the draft happens. I like to look at all of the draft eligible talent to see how deep the overall draft will be, not just the top 10 or 15.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I think we just view the draft differently. That's fine. Everyone pays attention to the top of the draft, it's the easiest to study before the draft happens. I like to look at all of the draft eligible talent to see how deep the overall draft will be, not just the top 10 or 15.
It's a fine perspective, but most drafts look closer to the same after the first round, and there's a huge amount of noise. Most good draft evaluations I've seen are looking at the depth and success of the talent in the first round, and sometimes into the second, as compared to the "average" draft. Beyond that, of course there are always amazing players drafted late, but that is impossible to evaluate in the year and has less bearing on the overall class evaluation. Not that it matters much.

Reactions: hn777

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some part of Yakemchuks tape screams top5 pick, the other part would have me questioning if he belongs in the 1rd
To me, if a Dman doesn't have a high hockey IQ, he has limited use, i don't care what tools he has.

I've noticed that there is a lot of size in this year's draft. GM's will like that. Even the smaller are guys are reported as being 5'11", which is big enough, especially for a forward.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I actually like this draft. Solid top 15. There's just no clear #2.

2nd round is meh but that happens alot.
It's really hard to figure the 2-8 spots. I can see where Demidov, Catton, Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom, or Dickinson end up being the next best player. I think, that Helenius, Buium, and Parekh are a tier below, but wouldn't be shocked if they rise to the top.

Good thing there is 3-4 months more of hockey to figure things out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad