Confirmed with Link: Corey Crawford retires

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Really, I don't understand why everyone is upset about the timing.

Once Crawford signed, it basically didn't matter when he decided to retire as long as it was before the start of season. Lundqvist announced he'd be having surgery basically 2 weeks ago - the Caps don't have a real replacement for him.

There's an absolutely huge difference between needing to have open heart surgery to save your life and a guy who currently looks like his heart simply wasn't into it anymore.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Blackwood is also much more proven now. We don't need to coddle the kid. It's a short season. He can handle a heavier load.

I imagine they will look to find a vet off the waiver wire or something in case Wedge can't hack it, but Blackwood is the starter and he absolutely deserves to be.

Agree that Blackwood is "more proven", but I don't know exactly what that means. He was in the ECHL a couple of years ago. Consistency doesn't seem to be a hallmark of his.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really, I don't understand why everyone is upset about the timing.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
There's an absolutely huge difference between needing to have open heart surgery to save your life and a guy who currently looks like his heart simply wasn't into it anymore.

My point is that it's irrelevant to us. The end result for the team is the same.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
you know we're all assuming Corey just decided its time to hang them up, but maybe Lindy and Fitz didn't think he had it anymore and suggested mulling it over.
Did any of you guys see him in the practice games? I didn't, did he look OK ? or like shit?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I honestly assume the team knew this was a potential option from corey at the time of signing. You risk him retiring, but you have to be the first to offer him the contract. I think fitz knew about this

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
you know we're all assuming Corey just decided its time to hang them up, but maybe Lindy and Fitz didn't think he had it anymore and suggested mulling it over.
Did any of you guys see him in the practice games? I didn't, did he look OK ? or like shit?

You really think they’d encourage retirement if he had two bad practices?? Come on now

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jimmy Howard? Craig Anderson? Mike Condon? J.F. Berube? Garret Sparks?

Toronto's probably gonna have to pass Michael Hutchinson through waivers...
Almost all of those names are unappealing, if not downright appalling. Add Andrew Hammond to the list. Another bum that had a fluke hot streak for literally one hot minute.

Anderson is on a PTO with Washington, after the Capitals had to scramble to find someone after Lundqvist announced he wasn’t playing this season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Almost all of those names are unappealing, if not downright appalling. Add Andrew Hammond to the list. Another bum that had a fluke hot streak for literally one hot minute.

Anderson is on a PTO with Washington, after the Capitals had to scramble to find someone after Lundqvist announced he wasn’t playing this season.

At least NJ has waiver priority over Washington.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I feel for them here. What a douche move by Crawford. The timing couldn’t be worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
He had concussion syndromes again

Maybe he realized once he stepped on the ice he couldn't handle pucks being shot at his face, so sue him

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I honestly assume the team knew this was a potential option from corey at the time of signing. You risk him retiring, but you have to be the first to offer him the contract. I think fitz knew about this
I agree it could have been a mutual feeling at the start and end, BUT why give him a two year deal then?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Man I know it’s kind of a dick way to look at the situation, but it’s kinda messed up to commit to a team for multiple years, knowing how important your role is to said team (even if it’s as a 1b/backup to an up and coming goalie) with basically one foot out the door.

disingenuous, phony, two-faced if the bolded is true

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Well, it is a draft without a consensus #1 franchise player at the top so we're probably due to win the lottery again.
Jack Hughes was a consensus #1. He had been highly touted since he was like 15, and I don’t believe for a second a single GM would have taken Kakko over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad