Speculation: Core Players?

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Not sure how Cally is not considered a key piece. He's been hurt this yr but is the heart if the team. Also Nash is a top player in the league just having a bad first half
I dont mind keeping callahan but we shouldnt overpay for him. He is injured quite a bit

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
I don't think it's as simple as keep/don't keep in two categories.

Give me your first born child and your first in 2015 and I'll consider trading them:

Chris Kreider
Ryan McDonagh

Requires significant overpayment to acquire:

Mats Zuccarello
Derek Stepan
Carl Hagelin
Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot
JT Miller

Would prefer to keep, but would move in the right deal:

Rick Nash
Anton Stralman
John Moore
Derek Brassard
Derek Dorsett
Dylan McIlrath

Should be actively marketed:

Benoit Pouliot (although honestly I wouldn't mind keeping him - the resurgence has been fun)
Brian Boyle
Dan Girardi
Michael Del Zotto
Ryan Callahan
Dom Moore
Marc Staal

Doesn't really matter either way:

Justin Falk

Nononono There are so many crappy Ds in this League that we have to Lock him up long term. Look at Maple Leafs tonight or Calgary, Edmonton etc. Most teams would offer him big Money. If we let him go what will we end up With? Falk or Moore or some other crappy D that Sather signs????

Mcd, Girardi, Staal and Strålman are all legit top 4 Ds. Some of them suck because of AV coaching style. That has to change. Replacing them wont be easy.

Trade MDZ, J Moore and Callahan for some good D. Need to build a strong D core.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
If we're going full re-build mode, then keep McDonagh, Kreider, Stepan, Talbot, and Callahan (for some kind of veteran presence, of course). Move the rest.

Why Stepan? He is so slow and got trading value. Why not try to trade him + some extra for a true first line center. A center With speed, creativity and goal scoring ability.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Why Stepan? He is so slow and got trading value. Why not try to trade him + some extra for a true first line center. A center With speed, creativity and goal scoring ability.
I agree. I have lost faith in stepan. I mena i gave him the month of october sice he missed training camp but he really hanst played a full great game this year which is scary. He has always been slow which is not good for a first line center but his passing has looked pretty average

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Nononono There are so many crappy Ds in this League that we have to Lock him up long term. Look at Maple Leafs tonight or Calgary, Edmonton etc. Most teams would offer him big Money. If we let him go what will we end up With? Falk or Moore or some other crappy D that Sather signs????

Mcd, Girardi, Staal and Strålman are all legit top 4 Ds. Some of them suck because of AV coaching style. That has to change. Replacing them wont be easy.

Trade MDZ, J Moore and Callahan for some good D. Need to build a strong D core.

If Girardi were 2-4 years younger and not about to hit a Redden-esque payday in his next deal, I'd agree with you.

Move him for 3 solid assets.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i love cally's heart/toughness but i dont think he has much skill to be a consistent top 6 player. i think 2011-12 was a career year. I am starting to have my doubts on stepan too

Cally was having a solid season last year also. 31 points in half a season.

He is the heart and soul of this team, played a great game tonight, was all over the puck, should of really had two assists, made some great defensive plays, and just playing the two way hockey he is known for. If Team USA thinks he is still worthy rangers should also, and they most likely will.

Thank God the decision to keep Callahan is not done by some people on this forum. no offense, but I'm sure your fantasy team is doing well.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Amazing how quickly the board has moved on from Ryan Callahan.

Cally is one of my favorite Rangers of all time. That said, the OP asked who the core is if the team rebuilds. Callahan's style of play has been taking a toll on his body for years. He's going to be more expensive than his production (due to missed games that will happen every year), and even with his other attributes, leadership and intangibles are difficult to express from the IR. If this team IS going to re-build, then keeping Cally makes no sense. He'll be a complete shadow of his former self by the time the rebuilt team would be ready to compete, and he has enough value now to improve the odds on the success of a rebuild.

IF the team decided to blow it up and rebuild:

I definitely keep: Lundqvist, McD, MDZ, Moore, Kreider, and Stepan. These six guys are young enough and talented enough that they will be a good veteran core for the rebuilt team (all--with the possible exception of Lundqvist--would be in their primes when the influx of youth will be ready).

I definitely trade: Girardi, Staal, Stralman, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin (I think people assume Hags is younger than he is) and Brassard. These seven guys have two things in common. They all have great trade value, and they will all be on the downswing of their careers before a rebuilt team would be ready. These are complimentary players for a current contender. Not a future one. Spin them off for 1sts (especially in 2015) and high end prospects.

I keep prospects like Kristo, Miller, McI, Fasth, Lindberg--basically guys that might have NHL careers.

I trade guys like Boyle, MZA, D. Moore, Pou, etc if the price is good. They don't hurt the team at all, but they also won't bring back the same kind of high end return that you'll get from the "definitely trade" list.

Finally, I fire AV yesterday. He was brought in to take a good team to legit contender status. If we go full rebuild, we need a coach with more of a rep for developing young players who is brought in knowing that that is his job.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Zuccarello, Stepan, Kreider, McDonagh, Callahan, Lundqvist, Hagelin. I would be sad to see most of the rest go, but I think we could get good pieces for them in a trade as opposed to having them stay with the team. Not that I'm saying trade them all, but they'd be complementary players moving forward.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Surprised to see Kreider has more votes than McDonagh.
i would say both are pretty close. Macdonough is ahead of kreider now but unless we are trading for ovechkin or crosby kreider is untouchable. His speed and strength and shot for a guy his size is rare. Now we just need a player whi can consistently get the puck to him near the net. maybe miller will be that guy next year

Cake or Death

McDonagh, Zuccarello, Kreider, Hagelin. I'd keep Cally, too, even with injury issues of late. Not sure I would have extended Hank with a huge raise either. I sure wish I could have a drop in performance like that at work and get a 24 percent raise.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Stepan
Kreider
Miller
Callahan
MZA
Hags

Mac
staal
G

Lund
Talbot

Nash is tough... id keep him and consider core.... but i would move him for younger more dependable player if available.. he still an elite talent and they dont grow on trees..

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Cally is one of my favorite Rangers of all time. That said, the OP asked who the core is if the team rebuilds. Callahan's style of play has been taking a toll on his body for years. He's going to be more expensive than his production (due to missed games that will happen every year), and even with his other attributes, leadership and intangibles are difficult to express from the IR. If this team IS going to re-build, then keeping Cally makes no sense. He'll be a complete shadow of his former self by the time the rebuilt team would be ready to compete, and he has enough value now to improve the odds on the success of a rebuild.

IF the team decided to blow it up and rebuild:

I definitely keep: Lundqvist, McD, MDZ, Moore, Kreider, and Stepan. These six guys are young enough and talented enough that they will be a good veteran core for the rebuilt team (all--with the possible exception of Lundqvist--would be in their primes when the influx of youth will be ready).

I definitely trade: Girardi, Staal, Stralman, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin (I think people assume Hags is younger than he is) and Brassard. These seven guys have two things in common. They all have great trade value, and they will all be on the downswing of their careers before a rebuilt team would be ready. These are complimentary players for a current contender. Not a future one. Spin them off for 1sts (especially in 2015) and high end prospects.

I keep prospects like Kristo, Miller, McI, Fasth, Lindberg--basically guys that might have NHL careers.

I trade guys like Boyle, MZA, D. Moore, Pou, etc if the price is good. They don't hurt the team at all, but they also won't bring back the same kind of high end return that you'll get from the "definitely trade" list.

Finally, I fire AV yesterday. He was brought in to take a good team to legit contender status. If we go full rebuild, we need a coach with more of a rep for developing young players who is brought in knowing that that is his job.

Not good enough on defense. Great skaters that can produce offensivly, but cmon.... Staal, Girardi and Strålman out ???? Then we will start tanking and sather will Waste some picks. Not a good idea. I would much rather trade some forwards for top Ds. Just think about it. We got two rly good goalies. If we only had 7 good Ds. We should keep Girardi, Staal, McD and Strålman and target Ehrhoff, Meszaros etc. Target big and strong Ds and trade MDZ, Moore and Falk. None of them will be good enough in the defensive zone. U wont win a cup With them facing the Blackhawks in best of 7. No way Falk, Moore and MDZ will handle Kane, Hossa, Towes etc.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Keep Carcillo, Bickel, Asham, Beach and Haley
Hope that McIllraith gets healthy
Sign Peter Worell
Find Averys skates in the Hudson
Stay the course and trade everyone else

Dec 13, 2010
Somebody thinks Del Zotto is part of the core. God help me.

McDonagh, Kreider, Stepan, and Moore should be the only untouchables on this roster.

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013

McDonagh, Kreider, Stepan, and Moore should be the only untouchables on this roster.

So you laugh at people for choosing Del Zotto as a part of the core then you say Moore is untouchable?God help me.:shakehead

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
The way i see it...

? - ? - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - ?
? - Miller - Callahan
Hagelin - ? - Dorsett

McDonagh - Staal -?
? - ? - Moore

Hank
Talbot

5 holes on offense and 3 in the top 6, you can see why we struggle scoring goals. Brass and Richards aren't cutting. I like Zucc and you can throw him on the 2nd or 3rd line but i really don't see him as a long term cog. The rest are replaceable. It sucks because going into the season i though our defense was top 5 in the league.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town

Moore? He dosent score enough to be called an offensive D. He isnt good enough in his own zone to be called a stay at home D. So what is he? He is a good skater, low salary D that cant go for highlight hits, he cant fight, cant score, cant PK, cant PP, cant protect the goalie, cant win Board Battles etc. What he can do is joining the rush. Thats about it.

He wasnt even good enough for the CBJ. He is not untouchable. In fact he should get traded because of crappy positioning. He never learns. He should also go for open ice hits rather than using his stick all the time. Take out the puckcarrier, not the puck. Use Your skating ability and size for christ sake. Its so frustrating to see a kid With so much talent not using it.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
ROFL. Moore, an untouchable? Especially after calling out someone for voting for DZ, who is twice the player Moore is.

Not twice. MDZ is just like Moore. Out of position all the time. Not physical enough. Both of them would be a perfect match for the Oilers. I would much rather have a couple of big Ds like Meszaros and Jurcina at bottom 6 than softies like MDZ and Moore.

Falk is okey. At least his contract is small and the guy is biiiiiig. Perfect 7th D.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

HAHAHAHHAA Del Zotto is god awful and not part of the core but Moore is? Give me a break. Blinded by hate.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A lot of my desire to trade Girardi + Callahan is in that I'm just not sold that they are going to get good value contracts. I don't give Girardi a hair over 5x5, and I don't give Callahan a hair over that either. They can both make 6 mill + on the open market easily, I'm not willing to absorb that much cap hit for players that are "okay".

I voted the new core should be Zucc, Stepan, Kreider, McGod, and Hank, with more pieces of course. I keep Hagelin and Dorsett as complimentary pieces.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
A lot of my desire to trade Girardi + Callahan is in that I'm just not sold that they are going to get good value contracts. I don't give Girardi a hair over 5x5, and I don't give Callahan a hair over that either. They can both make 6 mill + on the open market easily, I'm not willing to absorb that much cap hit for players that are "okay".

I voted the new core should be Zucc, Stepan, Kreider, McGod, and Hank, with more pieces of course. I keep Hagelin and Dorsett as complimentary pieces.

It would be wise to overpay for Girardi. Cant replace him without hurting the team. Girardi has almost played every single game the last years. Cant remember last time he was injured. He Plays top min vs the best players on the opposing team. Overpaying for Girardi makes sense even though he hasnt been as good as he used to.

We need solid stay at home Ds that can play a full 82 game season. Girardi is that type of D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad