Cooperstown 2017 (Selig, Scherholz, Pudge, Bagwell, Raines elected to HoF)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Hall of Fame announced the 10-person ballot for the "Today's Game Era" vote that will be announced at the winter meetings on Dec. 5. This is the latest revision of the constantly changing voting procedures of the group formerly known as the Veterans Committee. This vote offers a second chance for election for those players the Baseball Writers Association of America have turned away, as well as an avenue to elect managers, executives, umpires, team owners and, yes, commissioners.

The voting rules: The 16-member committee (the same as in previous Veterans Committee elections) consisting of Hall of Fame players, plus executives and veteran media members, will convene at the winter meeting and vote. A candidate must receive 75 percent of the vote (12 of 16) to get elected.

This year's ballot of 10 names includes only five players (who must be retired at least 15 years). It's worth noting that, since 2000, the Veterans Committee has elected just three relatively modern players, Bill Mazeroski in 2001, Joe Gordon in 2009 and Ron Santo in 2012. But it has elected 15 non-player members (not including the special Negro Leagues committee in 2006), which probably tells you who has the best chance of getting elected.

This years ballot includes:

Mark McGwire
Will Clark
Albert Belle
Orel Hershiser
Harold Baines
Bud Selig
George Steinbrenner
Davey Johnson
Lou Piniella
John Schuerholz

Who would you induct?

My choices - Steinbrenner, John Schuerholz & Piniella (between him & Johnson for me, it could go either way).

** This thread can be used as a general thread as we get closer to the announcement for the 2017 class **

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
McGwire and Belle should both be in the Hall. Except the Roids issue for McGwire and Belle being a very unlikeable person.

I would elect both, but I doubt this committee will choose them.

This is the last regular eligibility year for Tim Raines. I think he gets 75%... but if he doesn't he will be elected by this veteran's committee soon enough.

Sep 19, 2008
RT @jareddiamond Bud Selig going into the Hall of Fame is just another reminder of how embarrassing it is to baseball that Marvin Miller isn't.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Apparently, simply being commissioner for more than five years is enough to get in the Hall of Fame.

Just hope that Pat Hughes wins the Frick and gets in.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lol @ selig getting in. there's no reason why he should be in the HOF

raines, steinbrenner, and belle are who i'd induct

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Are they still going to elect ball players or is this it other than the Frick award? There is almost like a roadblock on the HOF ballot and no players are going in this year?

Oct 18, 2011
So the commissioner who oversaw the steroid era is in the HOF, but any player even suspected, without proof of use, gets it held against them...

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
the ballot for the actual Hall of Fame

5YF337y.jpg

Elvis P

The Wakandan Intergalactic Empire
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
So the commissioner who oversaw the steroid era is in the HOF, but any player even suspected, without proof of use, gets it held against them...
Yeah, there's video of him admitting the problem before the home run record was broken and he did nothing for years thus creating the HoF problem of guys such as Bonds and Clemens not being in.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City

Pretty much. When they were rattling off his accomplishments, the only 2 things I can literally remember him for are being commissioner during the strike and the steroid era.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
mussina should be in without a doubt

from that ballot i'd go mussina, pudge, and raines

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
McGwire and Belle should both be in the Hall. Except the Roids issue for McGwire and Belle being a very unlikeable person.

I would elect both, but I doubt this committee will choose them.

This is the last regular eligibility year for Tim Raines. I think he gets 75%... but if he doesn't he will be elected by this veteran's committee soon enough.

Disagree on Belle

Great player in his prime but overall his career is not HOF ,, If he gets in then it opens door for a lot of others who generally are not viewed as HOF

Belle is basically his generations Dick Allen to be honest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad