Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody Acquired from Flyers for 3rd Round Pick (NJ) [UPD: Signed to 3-year ELC]

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
As Craig Simpson just pointed out on 630 ched, Marody could play another year in college and then become a free agent, so Chiarelli must have a pretty good feeling about signing this guy, otherwise there's no way Chiarelli would essentially have given Maroon up for nothing. No way that would happen, right? . . .

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I am confused about his skating. In the clips he doesn't look like a good skater but Stauffer says he is a strong skater. Maybe the video was all his slow moments? Or bob is out to lunch?

He doesn't appear to be in full stride in any of the video clips.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As Craig Simpson just pointed out on 630 ched, Marody could play another year in college and then become a free agent, so Chiarelli must have a pretty good feeling about signing this guy, otherwise there's no way Chiarelli would essentially have given Maroon up for nothing. No way that would happen, right? . . .
Thats my potential worry too. If he doesn't sign him this summer...I am worried. Especially if he has a good year next year, why wouldn't he walk and go where he wants?
Only way this is not a bad trade is if we sign him and he comes over the the AHL next year.

Another question cause I am curious. If Hughes is as good as people say, how much of Marodys success this year has to do with Hughes ability?

Reactions: Aerrol

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Those helmuts hurt my eyes. I can't even watch the video..

old.jpg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Watches a quick YouTube video of the player, pretends to be more qualified to judge the player than scouts who have probably watched him live dozens of times and seen a ton of video of him.

This fanbase :facepalm:
I think your reading comprehension is at an all time low.

All that was said about that quick youtube video was that his skating didn't look good.

That's it.

But yeah, continue to come at me.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, he is a better player than Hyman was at the same point by a long shot. Although Hyman exploded the year after.

How was his skating?

At the time I wasn't purely focusing on him, but his skating didn't stand out as bad by any means, and it's the level where bad skaters do stand out.

Reactions: nabob

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Get enough of these low ceiling guys from the college ranks, one of them is bound to pan out, right? Right?
"I'm going to take a shot at these high risk, low rewards players so that when they do pan out, I will look like a genius. If they don't, my job is still secured"

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the time I wasn't purely focusing on him, but his skating didn't stand out as bad by any means, and it's the level where bad skaters do stand out.
Thats good to hear. The league is getting faster so at least average skating is necessary.

Did you notice anything about his game that stood out?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd be good with that, as long as it's 3 years or less and a decent cap number.
I am okay with Maroon coming back if we also move Lucic. We need to improve the skill and speed on our team and having half of our left wingers being guys like that isn't a great idea moving forward. So hopefully we move Lucic.

Reactions: OilDrop37

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Flyers have good drafting. This was a good trade for Chia. Flyers have a logjam at C so getting this kid could be steal

Reactions: nabob

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Thats good to hear. The league is getting faster so at least average skating is necessary.

Did you notice anything about his game that stood out?

Like I mentioned before, the thing that caught my eye was how good he was at faceoffs. It seemed like every time he went up he was either dominating the circle or at least always in the fight.

Also seemed good at puck movement in the offensive zone.

Wish I knew he would be an Oilers prospect and I could have focused more just on him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think your reading comprehension is at an all time low.

All that was said about that quick youtube video was that his skating didn't look good.

That's it.

But yeah, continue to come at me.

Funny how you just assumed that the laughable poster I was talking about was you...

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
All the scouting reports seem to say he is a great skater.

"When you thought he could not get much faster than he already was, he somehow manages to find a high gear and is making good use of it when generating creating for others in the offensive zone."

"Speed is the number one asset Marody brings to the table. Marody is a blazing skater that can stretch the ice and put pressure on the opposing defense."

"He’s praised most for his above average skating, his creativity, and play-making. "

"He displays tremendous speed and acceleration, and uses his speed to take the puck wide and create chances from the outside as well as the inside."

"He's a great skater who gets after it and uses his speed to wreak havoc on the opposition, especially on the forecheck, and it's easily his most distinguishable trait."

They can't all be wrong, can they?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All the scouting reports seem to say he is a great skater.

"When you thought he could not get much faster than he already was, he somehow manages to find a high gear and is making good use of it when generating creating for others in the offensive zone."

"Speed is the number one asset Marody brings to the table. Marody is a blazing skater that can stretch the ice and put pressure on the opposing defense."

"He’s praised most for his above average skating, his creativity, and play-making. "

"He displays tremendous speed and acceleration, and uses his speed to take the puck wide and create chances from the outside as well as the inside."

"He's a great skater who gets after it and uses his speed to wreak havoc on the opposition, especially on the forecheck, and it's easily his most distinguishable trait."

They can't all be wrong, can they?
Must just be a bad video for his skating then. It happens.

Reactions: Aerrol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Michigan plays Northeastern in the Northeast Regional semis this Saturday at 2:30 MT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad