Cool article about Rose's call 20 years ago

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Thorne is the Orioles' play-by-play man. I doubt he's going anywhere.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I want a new call.

Incredible run, special memories, but im tired of hearing about 1994.

Time to make new memories.

DuaneHewitt

Apr 10, 2007
NJ/Andover MN
That's how I heard it, from Howie. I was at my girlfriend's prom with a radio in the pocket of my tux and an earpiece.

Yeah, a new memory would be nice, but that doesn't mean I'll ever get tired of hearing that.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Different strokes for different folks. I couldn't stand Thorne. I still cringe when I remember him mispronouncing Malhotra as "Mal-whoretra."

Howie's call will live on forever and I often wished he were doing Ranger radio but listening to him now, he is so out of touch with recent culture - even going back 30 or 40 years! When he references pop culture it's stuff from the 50's and 60's. He comes across as older than his years. Still, the greatest call I've ever heard!

TruBlue

May 3, 2014
Thorne is the Orioles' play-by-play man. I doubt he's going anywhere.

...and he wasn't that good either IMO. When a PBP guy can't invest enough effort into learning how to get players last name correct well...besides the same posters who complain about Doc making every SOG sound like a goal totally ignore Thorne being 10X worse about a SOG.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Just watched the Gary Thorne call video that is linked and Zelepukin tries to trip Tik after the goal is scored and he's trying to go celebrate.... What a piece of crap move that is....

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Gary Thorne had a knack for somehow incorporating five teams into one game in three different cities in one night. He was also great for making trades in the middle of games.

Example of a Thorne call:

Lemieux comes in over the Ranger line, and Leetch poke checks it away, Graves gets the puck and head mans it Messier on a two on one across the Flyer line, shot!, and WHAT A SAVE BY RICHTER keeping the Penguins ahead 2-1 here in New Jersey.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

That's how I heard it, from Howie. I was at my girlfriend's prom with a radio in the pocket of my tux and an earpiece.

There was one error in the article. The game was not on WFAN that night (when it started). The Mets had a game, too, and the Rangers were bumped to K-Rock. I was upstate NY camping, and was BARELY in reach of K-Rock on the FM car radio. The game was going in and out, and I barely heard the 'pukin goal, which made me want to puke.

Not until the Mets finished up did the game get put on the FAN, and I then had no trouble picking up the game on the AM in the car.

Safe to say there were many people up there that night who had no idea why this college kid was waking them up during "quiet" time with his car horn....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad