Convince me why the Avs should take Seth Jones over Drouin.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
We need a player like Drouin and a player like Jones. Jones will play more minutes per game. Also, we need to finally have a good d so our forwards can play the way they probably are able to. It's not only coaching but also the lack of vision and puck moving skills of the defenders which holds the offense down.
Another reason to draft Jones is that it's so difficult to get a #1 defender through trade or FA signing.

Both Drouin or MacKinnon would be great additions if Jones is already picked, of course.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
We need a player like Drouin and a player like Jones. Jones will play more minutes per game. Also, we need to finally have a good d so our forwards can play the way they probably are able to. It's not only coaching but also the lack of vision and puck moving skills of the defenders which holds the offense down.
Another reason to draft Jones is that it's so difficult to get a #1 defender through trade or FA signing.

Both Drouin or MacKinnon would be great additions if Jones is already picked, of course.

Just give me of those three, please.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Skating can be taught. Tavares was arguably just as bad or worse than Drouin when he was drafted.

I think in Taveres' case, his IQ is sooooooo high, it doesn't matter he has merely average skating ability. It also helps that he has hands of gold.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Drouin is by far the biggest risk of the top 3. Seth Jones is one of the best defensive prospects to come into the NHL. He is NHL ready for ~18 min a night right now.

IMO the draft should go: Jones-Mac-Drouin-Lindholm-Barkov-Nichushkin-Monahan

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm yet to be convinced about taking Drouin or Barkov. I want Jones, and if not Jones, I want Mac.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Nate!! Seriously, I think he will be the best to come from the draft.

1)Jones
2)MacKinnon
3)Drouin
4)TRADE Pick for a Defenseman

The more I read, the more I like MacKinnon (as winger for now) over Drouin.

-Jones does fill a need assuming EJ or Jones will switch to the left, so even though it seems equally good defensemen seem to be found later in the draft, I'll keep him at #1 for now.

After the big 3 I think the value is there to get a very good Defenseman and some extras (winger, 2nd, etc) for Barkov and the rest, and the trade would be just as beneficial if not more so for the team due to their abundance of youth in the existing core.

Honestly for the same reason ablove, I personally would not be upset to lose out on one of the big 3 if a team offered a huge package for the right to take him. (ex: Fowler+DSP/Etem+, or J.Johnson+Foligno+)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Both are listed at 5'11", but MacKinnon seems to be significantly taller than Drouin.

7696877.jpg

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Both are listed at 5'11", but MacKinnon seems to be significantly taller than Drouin.

7696877.jpg

Drouin look like he is leaning forward some and/or simply in front which skews the camera angle. Doesn't seem to be a huge difference in height.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

7696877.jpg

Never trust the heights players are listed at. Drouin will probably measure at 5'9" or 5'10" at most. Drouin doesn't look big at all on the ice.

I'll throw another name out there that is nearly as impressive at Drouin... Nic Petan. Petan is listed at 5'9" (and is shorter, I would say 5'7 or 8") if he was 5'10" he would be a top 10 pick easily. If he can be picked up with a 2nd round pick, he will be a steal for somebody.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Drouin isn't even the best Mossehead going into the draft. This would be my list for top 5 pick going in the draft based on the games I watched them play and scouting reports I've read over the last couple of months:

1. Jones - clear cut #1 pick for me
2. MacKinnon - I didn't see him play often and the times I did he was horribly missused (on Canada's 4th line at the WJC), but everything I hear about him is high praise
3. Barkov - I love his ability to take over the game on both ends of the ice, he's incrediblly smart, he has O'Reilly like work ethic and he's a guy that would fit our team really well.
4. Drouin - I put him behind Barkov even tough he has a higher offensive ceilling because I think he's a guy who'll have the most trouble translating his game to the pro level
5. Valery Nichushkin - a man-child, the way he played in the KHL playoffs was a sight to behold, he's the most impressive offensive talent to come out of Russia since Malkin, he's just a dynamic force and a player who'll wreck havoc in the NHL once/if he gets here. His contract with Traktor will make him drop like a stone, but on pure offensive talent he's right up there with Drouin.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
1)Jones
2)MacKinnon
3)Drouin
4)TRADE Pick for a Defenseman

The more I read, the more I like MacKinnon (as winger for now) over Drouin.

-Jones does fill a need assuming EJ or Jones will switch to the left, so even though it seems equally good defensemen seem to be found later in the draft, I'll keep him at #1 for now.

After the big 3 I think the value is there to get a very good Defenseman and some extras (winger, 2nd, etc) for Barkov and the rest, and the trade would be just as beneficial if not more so for the team due to their abundance of youth in the existing core.

Honestly for the same reason ablove, I personally would not be upset to lose out on one of the big 3 if a team offered a huge package for the right to take him. (ex: Fowler+DSP/Etem+, or J.Johnson+Foligno+)
If the Avs are drafting 4th or 5th and trade it for quantity, I'll be pissed. This team needs young players on their entry level deals to balance out to contracts the older core will likely get next summer. Not to mention guys like Barkov and Lindholm are great talents in their own right. When was the last time a team offered up a crazy package for a top 5 pick anyway?

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I think in Taveres' case, his IQ is sooooooo high, it doesn't matter he has merely average skating ability. It also helps that he has hands of gold.

I agree. 99 was not a great skater, nor did he have a great shot. Hockey iq is huge.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
There's no Tavares in this draft based on what exactly? Not even a Hall? Funny Nail was considered the next bog thing last year. Drouin has the potential to be a top 5 forward potential. Prove me wrong.

Draft BPA

Well the doesn't make sense. Good thing penguins and caps didn't draft Barker over the 2 Russians.
Just like Huberdeau had the potential to be a top 5 forward? There is no Tavares prospect, just about anyone will tell you that. We all know what Hall did in Windsor as well as being Canada's best player at the WJC. Now being PPG in his 3rd season. I still see Mac as a Seguin. Great player, great tools, but not a franchise changer.

The bolded is a terrible argument. Good thing LA and St louis took Filatov over Doughty and Pietrangelo respectively, right? The difference is Ov/Malkin>>Drouin/Mac and Jones>>Barker in their draft years.

Lol what? I take it you haven't seen the kid play at all? He's got 40-50 goal scorer written all over him and I'll bet you he turns out to be better than Taylor Hall. Kid's stuck on the 3rd line all season playing with Shawn Horcoff and Ryan Smyth, ,there's a reason he isn't exactly lighting the league up this season but make no mistake about it he will be a fantastic player. Ovechkin 2.0, just a smaller body but just as physical. If this was his draft year, I'd still take him over both MacKinnon and Drouin

However, I agree with your defense rationale, this team needs Jones

He could very well become a 40 goal scorer; about a Marion Gaborik level player. Still not better than Hall. He's not even close to Ovechkin 2.0 either.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If the Avs are drafting 4th or 5th and trade it for quantity, I'll be pissed. This team needs young players on their entry level deals to balance out to contracts the older core will likely get next summer. Not to mention guys like Barkov and Lindholm are great talents in their own right. When was the last time a team offered up a crazy package for a top 5 pick anyway?

I do not think the cap will be an issue assuming it increases as projected, and as long as the team is competitive and in the playoffs, KSE's tendency seems to be that they will spend more once the team is consistently bringing in that extra revenue. Winning=$$$$$ in all aspects of revenue growth.

Although I agree a trade is unlikely, I was just stating what I would prefer to see if any possibility was on the table.

I can go down a list over the last 10 years and find defensemen drafted later that surpass, equal, or closely acheive the level of the 1st defenseman drafted in a year (2006 may be an exception).

I just don't buy into the idea that its top prospect or bust as the only way for this team to improve this summer. I really see Pracey effectively using our 2nd in a deep draft, and other pick(s) if acquired to improve long term, while taking advantage of the value our first if more immediate improvement can be obtained.

All of this is just my opinion of what I am wanting to see. I do not place as much importance on non-elite 1st round prospects as many on here, and believe true depth and organizational strength is created being effective with good drafting after the 1st round. I won't be upset if a trade is not made. Whatever path the team takes, I just want to see adequate value in the results.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
For those who say it's too risky to draft a dman with this high of a pick. Defenseman drafted high based on hockey IQ/ smarts have been pretty damn successful. Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, Fowler. The ones drafted on physical tools have been the disappointments. EJ, Hedman, Bogosian, Gudbranson. Jones falls into the former.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Lets just hope we get 1st overall and draft BPA. Don't care who it is, I'm not a scout. Pracey get me a franchise player and all will be good.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
For those who say it's too risky to draft a dman with this high of a pick. Defenseman drafted high based on hockey IQ/ smarts have been pretty damn successful. Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, Fowler. The ones drafted on physical tools have been the disappointments. EJ, Hedman, Bogosian, Gudbranson. Jones falls into the former.

These two aren't disappointments. And Johnsonand Gudbranson are still developing, I'd still take them on my team. (and to think Doughty wasn't drafted for his physical tools)

And Jones has high hockey IQ so its a moot point.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
- BPA (in my opinion), with an amazing combo of size, skill and intangibles

- Fills an immediate need

- Is NHL-ready

- Is the "next big American hockey star" in a market that could use that to it's advantage

- Has a history with the organization

- Can play in all situations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad