Convince me why the Avs should take Seth Jones over Drouin.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
-BPA. Theres no Tavares/Stamkos level forward prospect and I don't think there is even a Hall level prospect. More like a Yakupov/Seguin tier. Seth Jones has the potential to be a top 5 dman in the league.

-Team needs.

-Build from the d out.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd be fine with any one of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, or Barkov to be honest. I even like that Russian kid but don't think the Avs would ever draft him considering he just signed a 2 year KHL deal.

Jones is the more immediate need and the best player available in the draft. Drouin/Mack is a wash IMO, Barkov is a smart big bodied player as well. Mack or Barkov could both be converted to wing very easily as well.

With all that said, I kind of figured it was a toss up between us and Calgary for 2nd/3rd but Florida is probably going to be drafting #1 and they are a wild card as to who they will pick because they need either of the forwards more than Jones.

-BPA. Theres no Tavares/Stamkos level forward prospect and I don't think there is even a Hall level prospect. More like a Yakupov/Seguin tier. Seth Jones has the potential to be a top 5 dman in the league.

-Team needs.

-Build from the d out.

I've actually seen Mackinnon's puck hunger and goal scoring ability compared to Stamkos to be fair.

member 116861

just fold the franchise. Pierre Lecouix eats too many subway sandwhiches, and Landeskog is a bust.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Our d is far worse then our forward Corp. Not much more needs to be said.

There you have it.

The Avs have decent forward depth. They could stand to add a scoring winger, but that's secondary to getting a potential centerpiece on D. Even if one assumes that Barrie, Elliott and Siemens all pan out, Jones is a type that is missing from the organization. A type that is pretty hard to come by through trade or FA. A top line, 2-way defenseman is a much rarer animal than a scoring winger. So considering the team's need as well as the availability of such players, to say nothing of either the BPA aspect or, yes, the fact that Jones has grown up an Avs fan, it's pretty clear that he should be the target at the draft.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Hoping the Avs get Jones, but that would mean one of Barrie/Elliott/EJ will get traded.... they can't all play Right-D. My money's on Barrie (Elliott has history with Siemens and EJ won't get traded unless a new GM comes in).

Wonder what a package of Stastny + Barrie could get. LHD and scoring winger would be ideal.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
I personally want Drouin with our D prospects coming up since we have little to no wing prospects that are blue chip, but Jones would mean we trade some d prospects for forward help anyways. It all will sort itself out.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty much this, and I will add that Jones is the consensus BPA of the draft. No other reason not to. He is the best.

Jones is the consensus BPA? You don't draft based on what the consensus is. If they do why do teams spend miklions on scouting? Why do people like Pracey have a job?

-Team needs.

-Build from the d out.

There's no Tavares in this draft based on what exactly? Not even a Hall? Funny Nail was considered the next bog thing last year. Drouin has the potential to be a top 5 forward potential. Prove me wrong.

Draft BPA

Well the doesn't make sense. Good thing penguins and caps didn't draft Barker over the 2 Russians.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Top-6 wingers are much easier to come by via FA or trades then top-2 D-men are.

People are way too enamored with Drouin I feel, and if you're going to complain about how awful our D is but then want us to skip over the best D-man in the draft in favor of a winger...then I'm confused.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
Because you draft BPA and Jones is lookin' like BPA. And it can fill a need instantly.

If the Avs fall though, and have to pick up Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Nikushkin, or Lindholm... I will not be unhappy.

IceyDice

Sep 16, 2012
Because Drouin will bust when he has to play against NHL caliber defensemen and his dekes don't work anymore and he gets ragdolled around. Convince me that won't happen.

Reactions: MaKarter

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Geez Pierre needs to get the boot ASAP, I mean, even we know that the Avs prefer Quiznos.

$2 meatball marinara would like a word with you.

While I do see Seth Jones being somewhat of the obvious choice. My thought process is that we have a 1 in 4 chance of getting him(at best). I see Drouin as that impact forward to bolster up our 1st line Drouin - Duchene - PAP = yummy. I also see that as a reason to maybe move some dead weight and find a decent dman through trade or FA. Maybe even move up in the draft and grab a Dman late in the 1st.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Because Drouin will bust when he has to play against NHL caliber defensemen and his dekes don't work anymore and he gets ragdolled around. Convince me that won't happen.

Drouin's decking ability is the direct result of him being able to react to a play far more quickly than most athletes can think. He's an incredibly intelligent player who can read the play steps ahead of what other players see on the ice. He's a much safer bet than Seth Jones. Defense is such an incredibly difficult position to play and I've seen Serh Jones have difficult handling forwards near the crease. As well, finding any level of consistency amongst defenseman seems to be more difficult these days. Just look at Tyler Myers as one such example. Talent does not necessarily translate into success as an NHL defenseman.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

-Team needs.

-Build from the d out.

Lol what? I take it you haven't seen the kid play at all? He's got 40-50 goal scorer written all over him and I'll bet you he turns out to be better than Taylor Hall. Kid's stuck on the 3rd line all season playing with Shawn Horcoff and Ryan Smyth, ,there's a reason he isn't exactly lighting the league up this season but make no mistake about it he will be a fantastic player. Ovechkin 2.0, just a smaller body but just as physical. If this was his draft year, I'd still take him over both MacKinnon and Drouin

However, I agree with your defense rationale, this team needs Jones

Reactions: MaKarter

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
$2 meatball marinara would like a word with you.

While I do see Seth Jones being somewhat of the obvious choice. My thought process is that we have a 1 in 4 chance of getting him(at best). I see Drouin as that impact forward to bolster up our 1st line Drouin - Duchene - PAP = yummy. I also see that as a reason to maybe move some dead weight and find a decent dman through trade or FA. Maybe even move up in the draft and grab a Dman late in the 1st.
And how many of those have the players got this year?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Take a look at these videos. It shows just how much better a skater MacKinnon is than Drouin. Mac is so damn efficient it's not even funny.

Skating can be taught. Tavares was arguably just as bad or worse than Drouin when he was drafted.

cookymonster

Apr 14, 2013
Quebec City
1- team's need
2- lot of people say he's nhl ready
3- local kid
4- i was convinced at the world's junior this past december, he'll be a stud

good day!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's considered to be the best prospect in this draft and fills a need here.

You don't draft because people are lighting up CHL. You draft who will be the best at 25. Forwards, especially with pure offensive skills, always look relatively better in their draft year than defenders do (unless they play like a fourth forward like Murphy or Ellis).

With the caliber of consolation prizes this year, there is no reason to freak out. Avs could pick fifth overall and still get a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad