Post-Game Talk: Controversy, thy name is Bruins vs Jets; Jets win 5-4 in SO

None

Feb 22, 2012
Morrissey left his feet because of the turn and duck
Lost his balance. He didn’t jump into the hit

The charging rule leaves a little bit open to interpretation, but the way it's been enforced since they changed it was always that you have to jump into contact. Leaving the ice after contact is made is fine based on how it's enforced.

There's a hit from years ago, Bogosian against the Hurricanes where he wasn't suspended and he was 2-3 feet into the air after contact, I remember there was a little controversy over that at the time.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
agree on the challenge. Disagree on the hit. :D

Why? Both feet were way off the ice. The hit was high. If it was not direct to the head it was only by luck. That was the kind of dangerous hit that needs to be removed from the game.

I'm not hating Morrissey for it. He is not a dirty player. He made a mistake. But Grzelcyk could easily have been badly injured.

How would you feel about it if the shoe was on the other foot, if Morrissey had been hit like that by a Bruins player?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I honestly can’t believe that Beyak implied that we might see Buff in the shootout tonight because it was his bday :laugh:

That is pretty much on par with Beyaks knowledge of the game of hockey. He should stick solely to PBP and make no attempt at ever discussing the game of hockey.

Maybe Buff could have played goalie in the shootout because it was his birthday.

Reactions: Wizard204

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Why? Both feet were way off the ice. The hit was high. If it was not direct to the head it was only by luck. That was the kind of dangerous hit that needs to be removed from the game.

I'm not hating Morrissey for it. He is not a dirty player. He made a mistake. But Grzelcyk could easily have been badly injured.

How would you feel about it if the shoe was on the other foot, if Morrissey had been hit like that by a Bruins player?

Morrissey only left his feet after the hit and it was because he was going overtop the other player who had turned and ducked at the last second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baywulf

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
That is pretty much on par with Beyaks knowledge of the game of hockey. He should stick solely to PBP and make no attempt at ever discussing the game of hockey.

Maybe Buff could have played goalie in the shootout because it was his birthday.
then again, Tanev plays 3 on 3, so none of your suggestions are that far off

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Hearings tend to be announced early in the morning following the incident, fines don't get announced until they're assessed typically. There's the occasional hearing announced immediately following a game in cases where the offending team's player could be playing the following day.

Here's the hit again at 50% speed followed by 25% speed, edited with more footage at 50% speed to show that there's no goofy editing going on. Clip starts when Morrissey takes his last stride in and begins gliding.

Regular speed video with audio

My opinion: The optics are far worse than the hit itself was.

Thanks for posting this, I clicked on the button beside the pause to slow it down to 1/8 speed. At this speed it is clear that Morrissey is leaving his feet to avoid contacting Grzelcyk after the sudden turn. I think if he had not jumped Grzelcyk would be leaving on stretcher.

Reactions: Baywulf

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrissey only left his feet after the hit and it was because he was going overtop the other play who had turned and ducked at the last second.

Disagree with that. What I saw was him clearly leaping into the hit. If it is as you say then I would agree that there should be no supplementary discipline. But I saw him launch into that hit and go high.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Disagree with that. What I saw was him clearly leaping into the hit. If it is as you say then I would agree that there should be no supplementary discipline. But I saw him launch into that hit and go high.

I can slow it down further if you'd like, but Morrissey's right foot is clearly planted when contact is made. The left foot is less clear because his leg bounces, but there's clearly no launching motion. There's a spray of ice from his right skate as a result of him turning into the hit.

Reactions: BrokerD

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
AFYLGqr.gif

I didn’t notice it much before. But after watching this more and more I think it’s less and less likely morrrissey gets suspended. He had his shoulder lined up and was moving for the hit. Then the Bruin turn right in front of Morrissey
His feet came off the ground because he lost his balance when the target wasn’t there to be hit anymore.

Watching it over and over. It doesn't look as bad as I first thought but your description is very generous. He still leaps into the hit. The leap is just at the last split second but I think it was there. A bit later and you could say that his momentum hitting the crouched player carried him off his feet. But that isn't what I see. He jumps. I don't see any hint of the target not being there, off balance, change of direction. You can even see Morrissey flex his knees as he gets set to launch himself into the hit.

I haven't seen it in slo-mo yet. Maybe that makes a difference.

Edit: Saw the slo-mo and it definitely makes a difference. No leap. Momentum carries him up after contact.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's some pretty good slow-mo gifs a page or two back.

Thanks. Found it. Still don't like the hit. It isn't as bad as I first thought. Grzelcyk turns and crouches making it more likely to hit his head. Morrissey still jumps into it.

Edit: Saw it in slo-mo. You are right. Not nearly as bad as it looked in full speed.:)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Oh how soon we forget. Morrissey has been hit like that and nothing was done by the league. Kulikov was hit worse than what Morrissey did and nothing was done by the league. So yes we have had our fair share of those types of hits and the league didn't do anything. I don't particularly like the hit but the DOPS seems to put more emphasis on the player not putting themselves into a vulnerable position.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I can slow it down further if you'd like, but Morrissey's right foot is clearly planted when contact is made. The left foot is less clear because his leg bounces, but there's clearly no launching motion. There's a spray of ice from his right skate as a result of him turning into the hit.

Thanks. That slo-mo makes quite a difference. I see your point. I watched many times at full speed and saw it quite differently. In slo-mo I can see that it is his momentum that takes him off the ice.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Nobody is arguing it should not have been penalized, only that consitant with the way DOPS has ruled on other similar hits, this one was not a suspendable offense. The 5 minute penalty was sufficient

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh how soon we forget. Morrissey has been hit like that and nothing was done by the league. Kulikov was hit worse than what Morrissey did and nothing was done by the league. So yes we have had our fair share of those types of hits and the league didn't do anything. I don't particularly like the hit but the DOPS seems to put more emphasis on the player not putting themselves into a vulnerable position.

Having been wrong some time in the past does not excuse being wrong again.

But having seen it in slo-mo now it just isn't nearly as bad as I thought. Not only did Grzelcyk turn but he crouched. Morrissey then came off his feet as a result of going over the low target.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Having been wrong some time in the past does not excuse being wrong again.

But having seen it in slo-mo now it just isn't nearly as bad as I thought. Not only did Grzelcyk turn but he crouched. Morrissey then came off his feet as a result of going over the low target.

As I said in the game day thread o have no issue with suspending those types of plays I just ask that a consistent approach is used.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The only reason Morrissey left his feet is because his momentum carried him over the body.
On this angle it looks like the "jump" is him trying to pull off the hit when Grzlecyk starts to turn

Either way, no supplementary discipline is the right decision. This isn't like the Kulikov hit where the guy had 2 strides to try and avoid hitting him in the numbers, and the NHL didn't eve do anything after that hit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How? He saw a reply of it basically going out and thought there might be another angle that confirms it later. You can blame him all you want but if he didn’t challenge it and the bruins scored right after everybody would be one his case for not challenging it.

Nothing like nitpicking after the outcome.

Since they put in the bench minor for a failed challenge there should never be a challenge if there is doubt. The price has been made too high. That one was way too close to challenge. There was no hint of white between the puck and the blueline. Might another angle have shown it out? Maybe, but not likely. Coach has to weigh the odds of success - and remember, it has to be very clear in order to overturn the original call.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As I said in the game day thread o have no issue with suspending those types of plays I just ask that a consistent approach is used.

Consistency is obviously important but consistently wrong is - wrong. Lets get it consistently right. :)

In this case it now appears to me that they did get it right. It took many views of the replay and finally slo-mo for me to see it.

Reactions: None

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I loved that the Jets managed to pull out a win in that game.

I really love how salty the B board is about the loss.

I don't think they realize that the Jets are missing 3 starting D either when they are lamenting injuries.

Reactions: Shaibu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad