Controversial Entertainment Opinions/Discussion Thread - Part III

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Here is an unpopular opinion. Anthrax is the only one of the big four bands that actually sounds like it could deserve the title of thrash. The other three have no sense of rhythm that captures the thrashing dances. It's just the same old head-banging. I think the biggest problem is that when it comes to radio or listening to your car, you don't actually want the dance music so everybody just agrees that the other three are exemplerary while I watch the original footage of the shows and I never see any thrashing at their shows.

That said, the riffs they use aren't melodically creative which can make their guitar riffs rather naff, but that rhythm. That's why you are there.
I'm not sure what you mean by thrashing rhythms, but I like when bands like Slayer, Metallica, and Toxic Holocaust intermittently do that double-time and back thing.

Its a good cathartic release. In my younger days it was a good way of letting all my pent up anger and frustration out in a somewhat controlled and willing environment. I get the appeal, heck I lived it for a time.
This has sort of been my experience too. It's cathartic and an opportunity to temporarily escape oneself while really getting into the music. I think moshing and all the other stuff is great unless people are being too violent. I don't think that usually happens though.

EDIT: I listened to those bands I mentioned again and it's not exactly a double-time thing. More like a 1.5X pace speed-up is what I had in mind.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whenever you hear someone say "Yeah, it's fallen off a cliff in quality, but even a bad episode of such and such is one of the better things on television" it's usually not true and is an idea that I think comes from attachment/bias.

Things that plummet in quality usually aren't unfairly panned due to the bar that it set for itself, they usually just aren't very good or worthwhile anymore, period, and however little watchable it still is is usually something that is matched by a ton of mediocre shows on television.

So for example, the Simpsons, Season 4 of Community, Season 5 of Game of Thrones, etc.... If the good versions of those shows never existed, the bad ones wouldn't be received any more favorably, IMO.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought of one that I don't hear alot, and seems pretty widely disagreeable.

I've always felt that "influence" was a wildly overrated aspect of evaluation, and to some degree, is a bit of a glorified variation on "popular" and suffers from alot of the same things that make popularity irrelevant. It has value, but it's overstated. I wish people cared less about it like most rational people do with "popular".

Anything that makes it really really big is going to be wildly influential, whether it's any good at all, just by virtue of many of its numerous viewers liking it and wanting to achieve similar success. In particular, if something bad influences everything that comes after it, but everything that comes after it is awful, who cares? Isn't that something to be disgusted by rather than be a point in its favor? Similarly, if something good influences everything that comes after, but it just spawns awful copycats that aren't a fraction as good, again, who cares? You just want to give it that extra bit of undeserved credit because you like the fact that it's good, which was the only thing that was relevant to begin with. Often, influence is really just an incidental and arbitrary thing to consider.

"Whether you like it or not, you can't deny that it changed _____ forever" is a silly thing to point out, because that isn't necessarily a positive, depending on how you feel about the specific things that it changed. It's only a strong indication that it was popular (at least in some circles) and as a result had an effect on popular culture. Nothing else needs to be conceded from that statement, and it's not something that I think should be expected to matter to anyone.

In the end, the only time influence might be relevant is if the things that something influences are also really good and are similarly valued by the person making the evaluation. So perhaps all the offshoots need to factor into the equation depending on how much a person values them (and that this needs to be pointed out when it's ignored), but it's not an objectively undeniable point in its favor like people treat it as, it's every bit of subjective judgement as a person's feelings about the thing itself. It's just that now they have to evaluate the thing and all the things that it influenced as well.

And in the end, ultimately, what I care about is whether or not something itself is really good. Even though there are some merits to influencing other great things, I really don't care to think any less of artists who are equally good or better but don't happen to grab people's attention enough to become influential. It doesn't make them any less great, IMO. If anything, from the perspective of the person who thinks they're great, it would just be a sign that people weren't savvy enough to catch on-- another totally arbitrary thing.

People use "influence" as if it's synonymous with being fresh and inspired and interesting, but in addition to that not always being the case, even if it was, THOSE are the specific aspects that should be valued and factored in, not whether or not influence incidentally happened to be a resulting byproduct of it.

If you really insist that influence, by itself, is a huge thing that matters and is important to be credited for, then I don't see how you can deny that popularity is also a huge thing that matters and is important to be credited for. They're very similar things and I think in order to be logically consistent, you have to either consider/value both or neither. I choose neither.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers is timeless and one of the best alternative rocks album of this millennium.

It's one of the only contemporary albums I listened to in high school I can still throw on and not be totally embarrassed that I used to listen to it (looking at you: Taking Back Sunday, Motion City Soundtrack, MCR, Rise Against, etc...) :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not with you on this one. For me, it's one of the contemporary albums I listened to in high school and actually do feel embarassed about liking. Sort of opened gateway doors for things like Arcade Fire and subsequently far better things like Joy Division, but yeah... looking back at it, I do not think highly of it at all, personally.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well if you're going to disagree with me then I'm just going to have to hate your guts until the end of time :sarcasm:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers is timeless and one of the best alternative rocks album of this millennium.

It's one of the only contemporary albums I listened to in high school I can still throw on and not be totally embarrassed that I used to listen to it (looking at you: Taking Back Sunday, Motion City Soundtrack, MCR, Rise Against, etc...) :laugh:

Eh...it's catchy, but I feel Is This It and Room on Fire both blow it out of the water from that scene/era.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I've always felt that "influence" was a wildly overrated aspect of evaluation, and to some degree, is a bit of a glorified variation on "popular" and suffers from alot of the same things that make popularity irrelevant. It has value, but it's overstated. I wish people cared less about it like most rational people do with "popular".

Anything that makes it really really big is going to be wildly influential, whether it's any good at all, just by virtue of many of its numerous viewers liking it and wanting to achieve similar success. In particular, if something bad influences everything that comes after it, but everything that comes after it is awful, who cares? Isn't that something to be disgusted by rather than be a point in its favor? Similarly, if something good influences everything that comes after, but it just spawns awful copycats that aren't a fraction as good, again, who cares? You just want to give it that extra bit of undeserved credit because you like the fact that it's good, which was the only thing that was relevant to begin with. Often, influence is really just an incidental and arbitrary thing to consider.

"Whether you like it or not, you can't deny that it changed _____ forever" is a silly thing to point out, because that isn't necessarily a positive, depending on how you feel about the specific things that it changed. It's only a strong indication that it was popular (at least in some circles) and as a result had an effect on popular culture. Nothing else needs to be conceded from that statement, and it's not something that I think should be expected to matter to anyone.

In the end, the only time influence might be relevant is if the things that something influences are also really good and are similarly valued by the person making the evaluation. So perhaps all the offshoots need to factor into the equation depending on how much a person values them (and that this needs to be pointed out when it's ignored), but it's not an objectively undeniable point in its favor like people treat it as, it's every bit of subjective judgement as a person's feelings about the thing itself. It's just that now they have to evaluate the thing and all the things that it influenced as well.

And in the end, ultimately, what I care about is whether or not something itself is really good. Even though there are some merits to influencing other great things, I really don't care to think any less of artists who are equally good or better but don't happen to grab people's attention enough to become influential. It doesn't make them any less great, IMO. If anything, from the perspective of the person who thinks they're great, it would just be a sign that people weren't savvy enough to catch on-- another totally arbitrary thing.

People use "influence" as if it's synonymous with being fresh and inspired and interesting, but in addition to that not always being the case, even if it was, THOSE are the specific aspects that should be valued and factored in, not whether or not influence incidentally happened to be a resulting byproduct of it.

If you really insist that influence, by itself, is a huge thing that matters and is important to be credited for, then I don't see how you can deny that popularity is also a huge thing that matters and is important to be credited for. They're very similar things and I think in order to be logically consistent, you have to either consider/value both or neither. I choose neither.

Influence is interesting to look at from an historical perspective but unimportant when it comes to enjoyment. That's the way I see it. It's loads of fun to look into what influenced what and how it came to be - and often the work itself is pretty good - but it's ultimately meaningless as a stand-alone quality to me.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Eh...it's catchy, but I feel Is This It and Room on Fire both blow it out of the water from that scene/era.

I definitely won't disagree with someone saying The Strokes were one of the best bands of the 2000's

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Influence is interesting to look at from an historical perspective but unimportant when it comes to enjoyment. That's the way I see it. It's loads of fun to look into what influenced what and how it came to be - and often the work itself is pretty good - but it's ultimately meaningless as a stand-alone quality to me.

I agree. Generally, I see it more as anecdotal interest/a fun fact rather than anything of musical value/importance. It doesn't factor into how much I do or do not like something.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can either of you two give examples of when influence was actually looked at as a stand alone quality?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Can either of you two give examples of when influence was actually looked at as a stand alone quality?

Freaky Friday? Movie doesn't have much redeeming value besides having influenced the '' body-switch '' genre. Saw I and sadistic/extreme gore horror in mainstream American cinema?

Those are two movies I can think of who aren't regarded as quality films but have had a crap ton of influence on subsequent films. This would also come down to personal taste. For example, a work of art could be influential as a stand-alone quality even if I personally dislike the work.

To give an example, say, I could dislike The Beatles (I don't) but still recognize their influence on music that I do like. This would make influence as a stand-alone quality for how I perceive The Beatles.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I definitely won't disagree with someone saying The Strokes were one of the best bands of the 2000's

Yeah, I think they're up there. Is This It is such a great album from the opening track to the last one. Julian Casablancas is probably my favorite all-time vocalist. Such an awesome crooning voice.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

Generally I agree with you on the 'if it's good, it's good' thing, but for me, influence is interesting and can give an album a boost. Say if it started a good genre of music or a new way of making music. That's cool in the sense that one can put oneself in the atrtist's persepective from the time the album was created and is possibly deserving of some album-rating credit. Like, say, Albert Ayler with his free jazz album, Spiritual Unity from 1964, I think it was. I use 25 point gradations for a 700 point scale. A solid influence factor for a given album would be worth maybe half of one of my 25 point gradations. This means I can take it or leave it depending on my reasoning at the moment. Even though I don't value popularity at all, I don't see how that is inconsistent in some way.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Generally I agree with you on the 'if it's good, it's good' thing, but for me, influence is interesting and can give an album a boost. Say if it started a good genre of music or a new way of making music. That's cool in the sense that one can put oneself in the atrtist's persepective from the time the album was created and is possibly deserving of some album-rating credit. Like, say, Albert Ayler with his free jazz album, Spiritual Unity from 1964, I think it was. I use 25 point gradations for a 700 point scale. A solid influence factor for a given album would be worth maybe half of one of my 25 point gradations. This means I can take it or leave it depending on my reasoning at the moment. Even though I don't value popularity at all, I don't see how that is inconsistent in some way.

I see where you're coming from but I don't how it this perspective helps make it sound sonically better - which should be the only grading curve, IMO - because it started a great trend/was innovative. An album can be considered more important than another, despite not sounding better.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I see it like this.

If something becomes wildly popular, creates massive hysteria, and generates record-breaking sales, that's an accomplishment that noobody can take away from it, and it also doubles as an interesting and fun historical occurrence to note. However, it's not an accomplishment that has anything to do with how good the thing should be considered. It's indication that countless people would rate it highly, but it makes no sense for me to rate something based on how appreciated it is by others rather than by me. I feel like most people seem to adopt that view, and I agree with it.

In many ways, influence is just long term extended popularity, particularly among artists themselves. It's a measure of how well received something is, and an indication that people like it enough to copy it and build off it. Again, that is an accomplishment that nobody can take away from it, and it's also a very interesting historical milestone to note and be impressed by-- it's a fun side-note to follow. However, again, that's not an accomplishment that has anything to do with how good the thing should be considered. It similarly doesn't make alot of sense to me, for me to rate something based on how appreciated and often replicated it is by other artists. I'm using the same logic here, but I rarely see anyone who adopts this view. Influence is treated by most people like a fundamental component of how good something is.

It seems inconsistent to me to have polar opposite views on the relevance of popularity compared to the relevance of influence, because they're both driven by the same type of thing.

To me, the only thing that I'm aware of that makes influence appear to be more than just a form of long term extended popularity, is the correlation that people seem to draw between it and creative inspiration/brilliance/game-changing/pioneering boldness. Like a "where there's smoke there's fire" thing. But I feel like we should be able to agree that the fire is what's substantial, not the smoke. And in this case, the analogy doesn't work, because in this case, the smoke can come from things that aren't fire, and the fire doesn't necessariliy result in smoke. In other words, the only aspect that I can see that makes influence be seen as meaningful in terms of how good music is does not even necessarily correlate with influence. You can have either one without the other.

Case in point-- Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity is a bold, transcendent stroke of genius that can be endlessly satisfying and has the capacity to change everything. That should be admired and be considered a component of how good the music is. He's given credit for it because that happened to result in influence, but it could have just as easily not happened depending on the circumstances/exposure. It also could have easily happened for someone else's less deserving creation. If it didn't become influential, I don't see why that would take away from the gamechanging genius of the music, even if it arbitrarily doesn't actually end up changing the game because of the whims of the listeners/artists, IMO.

Another case, I love both The Beatles and Captain Beefheart. Beefheart is no less brilliant, transcendent, and inspired, but because what he did was less appreciated and put people off, not as many artists followed his lead as what the music probably warranted. Whereas everybody was influenced by The Beatles, because everybody appreciated them. Does it make any sense that I should think they're any better because of that reason? I sure as hell don't think so.

We feel inclined to use things like that as a tiebreaker, but hell, we feel inclined to use anything as a tiebreaker-- how influential it was, how popular it was, how much the artist did for social change, how much of an unlikeable ***-hole they are, etc.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I see where you're coming from but I don't how it this perspective helps make it sound sonically better - which should be the only grading curve, IMO - because it started a great trend/was innovative. An album can be considered more important than another, despite not sounding better.
I think there can be a sort of shared experience phenomenon when one is listening to music. Like one imagines what it would have been like to create the album in the first place, or something. That can add a sort of allure to the album as one is listening to it. I think of the music in terms of the creation and history to some degree, not just the finished product. Although I agree with you guys that the latter is the most important thing by a good margin, at least for me.

I see it like this.

If something becomes wildly popular, creates massive hysteria, and generates record-breaking sales, that's an accomplishment that noobody can take away from it, and it also doubles as an interesting and fun historical occurrence to note. However, it's not an accomplishment that has anything to do with how good the thing should be considered. It's indication that countless people would rate it highly, but it makes no sense for me to rate something based on how appreciated it is by others rather than by me. I feel like most people seem to adopt that view, and I agree with it.

In many ways, influence is just long term extended popularity, particularly among artists themselves. It's a measure of how well received something is, and an indication that people like it enough to copy it and build off it. Again, that is an accomplishment that nobody can take away from it, and it's also a very interesting historical milestone to note and be impressed by-- it's a fun side-note to follow. However, again, that's not an accomplishment that has anything to do with how good the thing should be considered. It similarly doesn't make alot of sense to me, for me to rate something based on how appreciated and often replicated it is by other artists. I'm using the same logic here, but I rarely see anyone who adopts this view. Influence is treated by most people like a fundamental component of how good something is.

It seems inconsistent to me to have polar opposite views on the relevance of popularity compared to the relevance of influence, because they're both driven by the same type of thing.

To me, the only thing that I'm aware of that makes influence appear to be more than just a form of long term extended popularity, is the correlation that people seem to draw between it and creative inspiration/brilliance/game-changing/pioneering boldness. Like a "where there's smoke there's fire" thing. But I feel like we should be able to agree that the fire is what's substantial, not the smoke. And in this case, the analogy doesn't work, because in this case, the smoke can come from things that aren't fire, and the fire doesn't necessariliy result in smoke. In other words, the only aspect that I can see that makes influence be seen as meaningful in terms of how good music is does not even necessarily correlate with influence. You can have either one without the other.

Case in point-- Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity is a bold, transcendent stroke of genius that can be endlessly satisfying and has the capacity to change everything. That should be admired and be considered a component of how good the music is. He's given credit for it because that happened to result in influence, but it could have just as easily not happened depending on the circumstances/exposure. It also could have easily happened for someone else's less deserving creation. If it didn't become influential, I don't see why that would take away from the gamechanging genius of the music, even if it arbitrarily doesn't actually end up changing the game because of the whims of the listeners/artists, IMO.

Another case, I love both The Beatles and Captain Beefheart. Beefheart is no less brilliant, transcendent, and inspired, but because what he did was less appreciated and put people off, not as many artists followed his lead as what the music probably warranted. Whereas everybody was influenced by The Beatles, because everybody appreciated them. Does it make any sense that I should think they're any better because of that reason? I sure as hell don't think so.

We feel inclined to use things like that as a tiebreaker, but hell, we feel inclined to use anything as a tiebreaker-- how influential it was, how popular it was, how much the artist did for social change, how much of an unlikeable ***-hole they are, etc.
For the 'where's there's smoke, there's fire' thing, I would just apply it in a different way. I think influence would be the fire, not the smoke. That which is influenced by the influencer is more like the smoke to me.

I feel like you are claiming that influence is basically the same type of factor as popularity, but I don't see the justification for that claim. Being popular is sort of liking something because others do. Influence is more like what one really likes as a first-hand appreciator of the music. Part of this is me being intersted in the history and-or geneology of music up through the present. I find that to be an interesting subject and to some minor degree it spills over to my album ratings. See my response to Amerika directly above. That's sort of how it works for me.

Yeah, the influence factor is not much more than a tiebreaker thing for me.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The Killers and Rise Against are both miles better than Taking Back Sunday. So are My Chemical Romance. The Strokes are garbage.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Killers and Rise Against are both miles better than Taking Back Sunday. So are My Chemical Romance. The Strokes are garbage.

I think The Strokes took a heavy hit quality-wise when Julian Casablancas started relinquishing control over the music to his bandmates. When he wrote alone and his friends were essentially hired hands, they were much better. His solo stuff is pretty good and Tyranny has some absolutely knock-out and inspired moments. And I don't think The Killers have an album that even comes close to touching Is This It in particular. They're bob-your-head fun for me at times, but that's about it. Not much replay value to it either.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I listened to Is This It at the insistence of a friend when I was in school. Boring garage rock imo.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think there can be a sort of shared experience phenomenon when one is listening to music. Like one imagines what it would have been like to create the album in the first place, or something. That can add a sort of allure to the album as one is listening to it. I think of the music in terms of the creation and history to some degree, not just the finished product. Although I agree with you guys that the latter is the most important thing by a good margin, at least for me.

For the 'where's there's smoke, there's fire' thing, I would just apply it in a different way. I think influence would be the fire, not the smoke. That which is influenced by the influencer is more like the smoke to me.

I feel like you are claiming that influence is basically the same type of factor as popularity, but I don't see the justification for that claim. Being popular is sort of liking something because others do. Influence is more like what one really likes as a first-hand appreciator of the music. Part of this is me being intersted in the history and-or geneology of music up through the present. I find that to be an interesting subject and to some minor degree it spills over to my album ratings. See my response to Amerika directly above. That's sort of how it works for me.

Yeah, the influence factor is not much more than a tiebreaker thing for me.
I'm not sure how you arrive at that. Wouldn't they both be primarily an indicator that many people really like a thing as a first hand appreciator of the music, and both be similarly susceptible to the possibility of only liking it because others do?

I don't totally understand your smoke/fire explanation. Doesn't 'influence' and 'that which is influenced' mean the same thing?

I can accept your other points, but I feel differently. I understand the whole getting a kick out of appreciating the genealogy of music history thing, and I do find that neat as well (adds to the mythos), but it seems about as unrelated to the musical value to me as getting a kick out of what ended up being a cultural phenomenon/breaking records and what didn't. I prefer thinking about the former over the latter (especially when it suits the narrative for what I like), so I might feel compelled to use influence as a tie-breaker as well, but I can't square why that would be anymore logical than using popularity as a tiebreaker, personally. They both seem to merely measure recognition rather than value, to me, and recognition is a very flimsy measuring stick (sort of like thinking something is good because it wins a lot of awards).

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I listened to Is This It at the insistence of a friend when I was in school. Boring garage rock imo.
I think they're far superior to The Killers, but I tend to agree.

I see The Strokes as being enjoyable and inoffensive but uninteresting and limited, personally.

Last edited:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Not with you on this one. For me, it's one of the contemporary albums I listened to in high school and actually do feel embarassed about liking. Sort of opened gateway doors for things like Arcade Fire and subsequently far better things like Joy Division, but yeah... looking back at it, I do not think highly of it at all, personally.

You feel embarrassed about liking The Killers' Hot Fuss? An album that was both a commercial and critical success, and one that's aged very well over the years? Jeez, talk about pretentious :rolleyes:

Speaking of Arcade Fire, they peaked with The Suburbs. I think they briefly held the "Biggest Band in the World" tag too.

I'm a Montrealer so it pains me to admit this, because the Arcade Fire have been a big deal around here for more than a decade and I grew up with their music, but their latest work is just garbage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad