Contracts around the NHL

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
As we all know, agents and teams really like to use comparables in salary discussions. Like how Tatar was pretty much slotted into getting 2.75M because of Alex Killorn's extension just prior.

There are two deals that were just signed that are very pertinent to the Wings.

Those are Oscar Klefbom in Edmonton getting 7/30M and John Gibson getting 3/6.9M from Anaheim.

Would you be cool with having Danny DeKeyser signed at 4.167 for the next 7 years and Petr Mrazek at 2.3M for the next 3? Is this something the Wings should look into now rather than later or do they bridge contract it out and deal with the cap when it comes?

Are there any other deals that you've seen that are likely comparables?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As we all know, agents and teams really like to use comparables in salary discussions. Like how Tatar was pretty much slotted into getting 2.75M because of Alex Killorn's extension just prior.

There are two deals that were just signed that are very pertinent to the Wings.

Those are Oscar Klefbom in Edmonton getting 7/30M and John Gibson getting 3/6.9M from Anaheim.

Would you be cool with having Danny DeKeyser signed at 4.167 for the next 7 years and Petr Mrazek at 2.3M for the next 3? Is this something the Wings should look into now rather than later or do they bridge contract it out and deal with the cap when it comes?

Are there any other deals that you've seen that are likely comparables?

DeKeyser has played a lot more games, I would like that contract but not sure it is a like for like comparison.

In addition Gibson likely left some money on the table struggling last year when he was supposed to run with the starting job in Anaheim. Would rather not see that happen to Petr who might get a little more as well.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Klefbom is not a good comparison for Dekeyser. Dekeyser has a lot more games played and has fully established himself as a top 4 Dman. For Dekeyser I would look at Chris Tanev as a good comparison. Dekeyser may not be quite as good as Tanev but most think that Tanev left a bit of money on the table. If we could get Dekeyser for a similar 5 year 4.5 million a year ( I think Tanev is 5 years 4.45 million) I would be happy.

I'm not sure what to make of the Gibson contract. He had some struggles this year and was rewarded with a very nice contract extension even though he will spend the year in the AHL. Mrazek is going to be much more established and have more leverage when he is up for a new contract. I don't really think you can use Gibson as a good comparable for him. If the team believes in Mrazek they may want to go long term with him to keep him as the starter, and have him on a nice contract.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
DeKeyser could demand between $4.5 and $5M long term pretty easily at this point, I'd imagine.

He is the closest thing the organization has to a "home grown" first pairing D (to replace Kronwall, sorry I mean this in an heir-apparent sense), and although his offense isn't elite, he is a really solid and capable guy all over the ice.

I'd easily lock him up at $5M long term. Type of contract that probably looks really rich in the first year or two because of DeKeyser's lack of flashy play, but as he becomes even more polished and assuming the cap rises slightly as the years go on, probably looks amazing sooner than later.

He has less pedigree but more experience than Klefbom. If Holland goes long term and gets him under $5M I'd be thrilled.

Mrazek is a different story because of Howard's contract, not really sure how I'd approach that situation.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
3 years would take mrazek straight to UFA. go 2 years or go long-term.

getting dekeyser signed to something like the klefbom deal is very much possible. klefbom isn't the only comparable.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Klefbom has more of the potential card and is a little younger so it kinda evens out with DKs experience. For a seven year deal that is roughly what I would expect him to get. Add $200k for every year you shave off, i.e. a five year deal would be roughly 4.5M and a four year deal would be roughly 4.75M etc. With a great year add another half a million.

Mrazek will get a bridge deal I'm sure. Wings have all the leverage and Holland normally gets them right. I'm thinking 1.75-2M/per for 2 years unless he lits the world on fire and posts >.925 over 50 games.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah I'm thinking around 7 years $35 million for Danny DeKeyser or a $5 million AAV and around 2 years $4 million for Petr Mrazek or a $2 million AAV and maybe something around 5 years $17.75 million for Justin Abdelkader with a $3.75 million AAV hopefully Holland doesn't offer him if he wants more then he can walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad