Speculation: Contract Predictions 2021 and Beyond

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Brady Tkachuk 7.5M X 8 Years or 5.5M X 3 Years

Drake Batherson 4.75 M * 6 Years

Artem Zub 3M X 3 Years: I know he just re-signed for 2.5M X 2, but I posted 3M X 3 years a few times before this, and I don't think I was far off.

Victor Mete 1.1M * 1 year

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Oh, you got me optimistic for a second... maybe your wording brought some confusion ("protect")

Well, this is what I would have done :

Protect Gustavsson, leave Murray and Daccord exposed

Seattle most likely don't pick Murray because his AAV is high and has 3 years left. There will be less risky options. Unless they want to take costly gambles right away, can't see it. They also probably don't take soon to be 25 y/o and unproven (and recently injured) Daccord who has a career 0.894 SV% in the NHL. There will be several better options

NHL : Murray, Gustavsson
AHL : Daccord, Sogaard
ECHL = Mandolese

Daccord would probably play a few games as goalies often get injured.

Notes : Sogaard is way too good to go to the ECHL, well at least IMO.
Mandolese is pretty young too, probably a good place for him to develop next season
I don’t think the team wants Gus or Sogaard backing up, they will want them playing a starters load no matter the league.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I think he's right. Between Zaitsev, Zub, and Brown they have three vets and they have JBD and Thomson to push for spots. Brannstrom and Mete have also played RHD quite a bit and can fill in.

LHD is where we maybe end up with a signing.

I hope so. I've always been more worried about another defenceman to spell Chabot rather than finding him a partner. Getting him a good partner won't reduce his minutes as much as having another defenceman that DJ can throw on the ice instead of Chabot.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
all good, Brady doesn’t play for less then Chabot. That only makes sense

No it doesn't.

Chabot is the better player right now and looks to be for a while.

Brady $7M for 6 years

Drake $4M for 3 years

Zub $3.5M for 4 years

Mete $1M for 1-2 years

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don’t think the team wants Gus or Sogaard backing up, they will want them playing a starters load no matter the league.

You're right in the sense that they are clearly (well, IMO again) the team's 2 most important goalies, but with Murray often injured, Gus could end up playing many NHL games. He's shown he's totally ready for it IMO

As for Sogaard, could simply split starts with Daccord, he's pretty young and has very limited pro experience, that'd be a good workload start for him.

Just make sure they're all rfas when the contracts expire please and don't f*** up like we did with Stone and to a lesser degree Duchene again.

This!

:sarcasm:

No, no God no, etc

Please Dorion don't screw up another off-season

I hope so. I've always been more worried about another defenceman to spell Chabot rather than finding him a partner. Getting him a good partner won't reduce his minutes as much as having another defenceman that DJ can throw on the ice instead of Chabot.

Need both.

A Methot for Chabot and a strong 2nd LD D-man (which is why the Sanderson pick makes a lot of sense)

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You're right in the sense that they are clearly (well, IMO again) the team's 2 most important goalies, but with Murray often injured, Gus could end playing many NHL games. He's shown he's totally ready for it IMO

As for Sogaard, could simply split starts with Daccord, he's pretty you and very limited pro experience, that'd be a good workload start for him.

This!

:sarcasm:

No, no God no, etc

Please Dorion don't screw up another off-season

Need both.

A Methot for Chabot and a strong 2nd LD D-man (which is why the Sanderson pick makes a lot of sense)
If Murray gets hurt I would expect Gus/Daccord comes up to start and Forsberg remains the backup.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

The Brannstrom - Zub pairing looks like they can eat up 20 minutes a night next season. That should help to allow Chabot to play 24 minutes instead of 26. This is especially true if we can get him a good RD and push Zaitsev down to the third pairing. Our big problem right now is that we've have third pairings that play 11-13 minutes. Moving Zaitsev there alleviates some of that and allows him play where he's better suited.

Minute per game allotment:

Chabot (24) - UFA RD (22)
Brannstrom (20) - Zub (21)
Mete (16) - Zaitsev (17)
Brown

The problem is finding someone like that and not breaking the bank doing so. The other option for next year is get an top 4 LD, move Brann over to the right to play with that player, then move Zub up with Chabot.

Oct 10, 2010
Brady shouldn’t be paid 7.5 or even 8M that’s nuts.
I think Bridge deal makes the most sense

I don’t see Brady as a 70 point guy but he’s still very valuable sign him for 3 year deal and after that you could probably get him for around the same money if his stats are similar on a longer term deal.

can’t be having all this money on the books if Stutzle and Norris become something special they won’t be cheap.

Reactions: Sens72

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot is making $8 mill and Brady can’t be paid less then Chabot. Chabot might be a better player but his stats where no near justifying $8 million when he signed

I doubt Ottawa has any real signing bonus money for Brady (maybe a million here or there) so the AVV will have to be high because he won’t be getting the tax break on the signing bonus.

all good, Brady doesn’t play for less then Chabot. That only makes sense

Chabot is a clear cut number 1 C. Brady is a top 20 winger? Not even a C. There is zero justification for Tkachuk getting Chabot money. Zero.

Statistically, role wise, position wise, deployment wise, everything wise. Can't use the argument of "leading a team in scoring" when both years 3rd liner or 2nd liner Brown below him by a point.

How so? Contracts are made using precedent. There's no precedent of a forward who's career high is 45 points getting 8 million a year. None.

It's very likely he signs for 3 years, in the 6/6.5 range

I think bridge deal is even better for us cause after it, I think Brady is still 8.5 mil player and no more unless cap goes really high. Still benefits us. I offered 7 year 50 mil cause Brady would actually be smart to take it, he'll make the difference in the "bridge" years overall and can cash in big time on a contract in his prime after 7 years. He'd be real smart to take it. I actually much prefer bridge deal cause I think we can be contenders in 2-3 years if we play it really smart.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Brady 3 x 5.5/6 on a bridge

I know we all love Brady, but it is only a matter of time before he is outscored by Norris and Batherson.

My preference would be 6yr-42M. 4,7,7,8,8,8 Still young for him to hit big, big money afterwards and get some decent term

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brady 3 x 5.5/6 on a bridge

I know we all love Brady, but it is only a matter of time before he is outscored by Norris and Batherson.

My preference would be 6yr-42M. 4,7,7,8,8,8 Still young for him to hit big, big money afterwards and get some decent term
If Sens are able to get him to an 8 year deal, which I’m skeptical of, I’d think it would be in the 8 x 7 range. Can’t see the Brady and Walt hitching his wagon to a long term deal after these 3 seasons.

I’d expect his camp are pushing something along the lines of 3 x ~20

Year 1 - 4.5
Year 2 - 6.5
Year 3 - 8.5/9
AAV - ~6.675

Qualifying offer set at 8.5/9 for Brady after the contract is up.

Sens keep costs low early, and pay up in the final year, Brady ensures he gets another 2 years at 8.5 and can negotiate a mega contract off of 3 of his prime years rather than 3 40ish point seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayOn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad