Continuous Rebuilders. How about trying to win?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Over the past few days, we've seen a few threads pop up on the main boards with Leafs fans proposing that we start rebuilding again and stockpiling picks for valuable roster players.

I'm having trouble understanding why there are supposed "fans" out there that seem obsessed with finding ways to make the Leafs an inferior team today.

What's the logic here? I mean, I get it if we were a team like Edmonton or Florida or whatever, but this team is finally starting to turn the corner on route to a 2nd consecutive playoff berth, with a roster that's probably built reasonably well to win in the playoffs by having depth like Bolland, Clarkson, and Raymond, all of whom could presumably be on our 3rd line on opening night.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You made a thread about me :D Also I found a solution to the Raymond thing

:leafs
Matt Frattin
Linden Vey
2nd round pick 2014

:kings
Mason Raymond
Carter Ashton
Tony Cameranesi
Viktor Loov

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Over the past few days, we've seen a few threads pop up on the main boards with Leafs fans proposing that we start rebuilding again and stockpiling picks for valuable roster players.

I'm having trouble understanding why there are supposed "fans" out there that seem obsessed with finding ways to make the Leafs an inferior team today.

What's the logic here? I mean, I get it if we were a team like Edmonton or Florida or whatever, but this team is finally starting to turn the corner on route to a 2nd consecutive playoff berth, with a roster that's probably built reasonably well to win in the playoffs by having depth like Bolland, Clarkson, and Raymond, all of whom could presumably be on our 3rd line on opening night.

Yeah our depth was on full display when we were without Bozak and Bolland. How did that work out again?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Pick a team in the NHL and take away their #1 and #3 centers, and I'll show you a team that does worse in the standings.

Take away their #1 and #3 Centres for a TON of games, and also their #2 Centre for 4 games. Oh, and their 2nd line winger for 15+ games too.

But "Those that know better" will never admit to that being any sort of problem. We SHOULD have kept winning in spite of all that.

They know best.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I dont want a rebuild or any of that tank for McDavid crap but I just wanted to point out that this franchise needs to learn a thing or two about asset management. I was thinking about the Colborne trade and realistically if we kept Colborne up and kept him a healthy scratch or even 3rd/4th liner we would of saved Blacker, a 2nd and a 7th when Bozak and Bolland went down; hence we wouldn't need to trade for Holland. If management was contempt to think for a second "Hey, were weak down the middle and injuries are going to occur; maybe Joe Colborne could become of good use later on in the season..." but instead we trade him for a useless 4th rounder. Hurrah.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Funny. To me, a loser mentality is setting the bar so low that we are bragging about making the playoffs 2 years in a row (which hasn't even happened yet).

If wanting more means I have a loser mentality than so be it. :)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I dont want a rebuild or any of that tank for McDavid crap but I just wanted to point out that this franchise needs to learn a thing or two about asset management. I was thinking about the Colborne trade and realisticaly if we kept Colborne up and kept him a healthy scratch or even 3rd/4th liner we would of saved Blacker, a 2nd and a 7th when Bozak and Bolland went down; hence we wouldn't need to trade for Holland. If management was contempt to think for a second "Hey, were weak down the middle and injuries are going to occur; maybe Joe Colborne could become of good use later on in the season..." but instead we trade him for a useless 4th rounder. Hurrah.

Except Holland is a lot better than Colborne... Like A LOT better. Colborne would have been nothing more than depth, Holland can be a top 6 center.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Funny. To me, a loser mentality is setting the bar so low that we are bragging about making the playoffs 2 years in a row (which hasn't even happened yet).

If wanting more means I have a loser mentality than so be it. :)

Amen. Also, a loser's mentality is renting the future that we don't have... Like come on? We aren't Boston or Chicago's pool, who can make their 4th line of prospects better than our 1st line. These guys are in different situations, we don't have the luxury to let guys who are worth 1st round or 2nd round picks go for free.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Take away their #1 and #3 Centres for a TON of games, and also their #2 Centre for 4 games. Oh, and their 2nd line winger for 15+ games too.

But "Those that know better" will never admit to that being any sort of problem. We SHOULD have kept winning in spite of all that.

They know best.

It seems that this team can in fact win without Bolland. Keep using him being out as an excuse if you like but I would prefer to see some accountability from the guys that played like crap for a very long time there. Sometimes our guys play very well, sometimes they play like crap. They're like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Enlighten me a little then smart man :)

How about rewarding the team that takes you to the playoffs by not selling off roster players and making the team worse? What a fantastic message to send to your players.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Except Holland is a lot better than Colborne... Like A LOT better. Colborne would have been nothing more than depth, Holland can be a top 6 center.

He could be, to me he seems like a definite NHLer but after 30 games I cant say he has definite top 6 potential, but even if he does show that in the future theres Bozak and Kadri and even Bolland standing in his way.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
No doubt they're the same people who go onto other teams' GDTs after games and say "good game guys, your team totally deserved to win, *insert 20 year old player* is going to be a monster"

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How about rewarding the team that takes you to the playoffs by not selling off roster players and making the team worse? What a fantastic message to send to your players.

Since when is it always making the team worse? And yes, it gives a message that you have to work for your spot. They'll be sold after the playoffs for free, that's a fantastic message too.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He could be, to me he seems like a definite NHLer but after 30 games I cant say he has definite top 6 potential, but even if he does show that in the future theres Bozak and Kadri and even Bolland standing in his way.

He's tried at wing, he's played well during injuries. Kadri and Bolland may be traded, and Colborne would have an even harder time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I wonder why you chose to say "regulation" wins... hmm... you're not trying to paint the picture worse than it was are you?

I'll let you fight this one out, but an overtime win is only the same as a regulation win on paper, but it doesn't represent strength.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I'll let you fight this one out, but an overtime win is only the same as a regulation win on paper, but it doesn't represent strength.

Hey man, a point is a point. Unless you need to split hairs to make an argument. It's an accredit to the team that they survived that injury plagued period. I loathe the shootout, but as long as it's in the game, milk it for all it's worth.

Once you're in the playoffs, nobody remembers how you got there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad