Consensus #1's Of All-Time (ie. #1 Band - The Beatles)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I thought that would be an easier consensus but who knows. Can't really come up with many great hockey films, can think of an unintentionally funny one with John Wayne on skates (Idol of the Crowds). The best one I have seen was a film of Ted Lindsay and other NHL players trying to form a union in the 1950's called Net Worth. I doubt many have seen that film though.
Sorry, my mistake...

I thought you were listing Slap Shot as the #1 sports movie of all-time

For hockey, it likely does take the top spot

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
so that's like basically saying the 07 Patriots are the greatest sports team of all time because they went undefeated and lost the Super Bowl, it tarnished it's legacy real bad (not saying you were necessarily wrong putting it up at the time of this post though)
Is Gretzky not the consensus #1 hockey player of all-time because he didn't win the Hart and lead the league in scoring in his final season?

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sorry, my mistake...

I thought you were listing Slap Shot as the #1 sports movie of all-time

For hockey, it likely does take the top spot
Yes, was just looking at hockey, for sure there are better sports films.

Sports in general is tough, within baseball/boxing/football there are many great films on each sport.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Beach Boys should be considered the greatest vocal group of all time and it isn't particularly close
The Eagles, and Simon & Garfunkel are certainly worthy of consideration

And what about groups like Boyz II Men or The Supremes or The Temptations or The Commodores?

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Is Gretzky not the consensus #1 hockey player of all-time because he didn't win the Hart and lead the league in scoring in his final season?
I mean that's not nearly as comparable. How a show finishes is just as if not more impactful on it's legacy than the accolades it builds up on the way. Rolling Stone has it outside their top 30 now when they did a list in 2022

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yes, was just looking at hockey, for sure there are better sports films.

Sports in general is tough, within baseball/boxing/football there are many great films on each sport.
I was having a tough narrowing down a sports movie... Field Of Dreams would've been my pick

But then you mentioned boxing, and of course, Rocky should be #1, I would think

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I mean that's not nearly as comparable. How a show finishes is just as if not more impactful on it's legacy than the accolades it builds up on the way. Rolling Stone has it outside their top 30 now when they did a list in 2022
So, if everybody in the world was watching Game Of Thrones, it isn't the consensus #1 show of all-time because the last few episodes sucked?

If a million people were asked to name the #1 show of all-time, do you really think Breaking Bad or Mad Men would get more votes than Game Of Thrones?

Consensus #1 isn't about the best

The Beatles are without question the #1 band of all-time, but that's not the same as saying they're the best band ever

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
So, if everybody in the world was watching Game Of Thrones, it isn't the consensus #1 show of all-time because the last few episodes sucked?

If a million people were asked to name the #1 show of all-time, do you really think Breaking Bad or Mad Men would get more votes than Game Of Thrones?

Consensus #1 isn't about the best

The Beatles are without question the #1 band of all-time, but that's not the same as saying they're the best band ever
I think almost anyone who's watched both The Wire and GOT would say The Wire was the better show. There's a lot of people who haven't watched The Wire though.

Reactions: I am not exposed

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would have to say is that Jimi Hendrix should be the consensus best electric guitarist; bc there are definitely better guitar players , even those that are more known for playing electric, but no one else has had the symbiosis with the electric guitar like Hendrix

Even though I find it fun to use objectivity when discussing these matters; best does not equal most popular. Like I think Clair De Lune is probably the best piano piece ever, and objectively there's some validity to that as well, but Moonlight Sonata joins the chat.
But for the love of everything , take Game of Thrones off the OP after the seasons following this post lol. Breaking Bad or Mad Men

comedy movie seems like and easier one too, Airplane , just responding to post above me
Stevie Ray Vaughn maybe? Other than that it’s always been tough to pick a singular best musician with a specific instrument. It’s such a broad range of styles and talent to narrow it down IMO

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast

If you're going on peak cultural phenomenon then Lost and Survivor would be ahead of GoT

And yes, Breaking Bad would beat GoT in a landslide in a poll in 2024, not Mad Men though

Seems like your metric for consensus #1 is arbitrary and no point in really debating it anymore
Stevie Ray Vaughn maybe? Other than that it’s always been tough to pick a singular best musician with a specific instrument. It’s such a broad range of styles and talent to narrow it down IMO
I mean SRV's legacy is mostly a tone thing, but he was pretty one note end of the day. Hendrix was literally inventing now widely used electric guitar effects, and doing stuff in the studio that just can't be replicated without his skill and innovation, that is one where I agree as the consensus electric guitar player. But for example, I would say Mark Knopfler is a better guitar player, more diverse, more technical ect, and even though he's more known for playing electric, I wouldn't call him a better electric guitarist than Hendrix, if that makes sense

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If you're going on peak cultural phenomenon then Lost and Survivor would be ahead of GoT

And yes, Breaking Bad would beat GoT in a landslide in a poll in 2024, not Mad Men though

Seems like your metric for consensus #1 is arbitrary and no point in really debating it anymore
As of Sept. of 2022...

This week, Game of Thrones’ reign over the top series rankings continued, with the show being 122.9 times more in demand than the average series in the U.S, a further 12% increase since last week. As mentioned earlier, the massive demand for Game of Thrones comes as a direct result of the prequel series, House of the Dragon, premiering on August 21st. The release of its second episode on August 28 also pushed the latter up the rankings to 6th place this week with 62.1 times the average series demand, a 21% increase.

While demand for Better Call Saul continued to fall, its predecessor Breaking Bad saw a further 4% increase in demand this week, remaining in 3rd place on the rankings with 76.9 times the average series demand.

top10- 2022-09-05-overall.png

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
lmao you are cherry picking a stat from the week when it's prequel dropped....come on
VW4tkphURxmGmUpVwnoE
I wasn't trying to cherry pick... I just did a quick Google search, and went with the first article I found

It's also worth noting that Game of Thrones is also the most pirated show of all-time, so these numbers don't give an accurate measure of the show's audience... not to mention these are just U.S. audiences, and don't account for viewers in other countries

Oh, and it doesn't look like Breaking Bad even made that list you shared, meaning it's still below GoT

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I wasn't trying to cherry pick... I just did a quick Google search, and went with the first article I found

It's also worth noting that Game of Thrones is also the most pirated show of all-time, so these numbers don't give an accurate measure of the show's audience... not to mention these are just U.S. audiences, and don't account for viewers in other countries

Oh, and it doesn't look like Breaking Bad even made that list you shared, meaning it's still below GoT
again this is an arbitrary metric you're using, it makes no sense when discussing a consensus #1 show of all time, I was merely showing how ineffectual it was in your argument

I can show you pretty much every critic/media outlet lists ranking Breaking Bad ahead of GoT, make a poll here and see what happens, I don't really care. All I was saying is it had some validity in 2017, but the consensus is that it's legacy has been severely tarnished

Reactions: I am not exposed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
again this is an arbitrary metric you're using, it makes no sense when discussing a consensus #1 show of all time, I was merely showing how ineffectual it was in your argument

I can show you pretty much every critic/media outlet lists ranking Breaking Bad ahead of GoT, make a poll here and see what happens, I don't really care. All I was saying is it had some validity in 2017, but the consensus is that it's legacy has been severely tarnished

It's not about which show is rated higher in terms of quality, it's about which show would be named #1 if polled by X amount of people

Again, Game Of Thrones was a global phenomenon, and was viewed by 10's of millions around the world

Breaking Bad - which I've watched multiple times - never achieved that level of popularity

Just look at the amount of discussion being had here on this forum because of GoT...

A shitty finale doesn't re-write history
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 13-42-45 Search results for query game of thrones.png

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
A shitty finale doesn't re-write history
It is a part of it's history that you are not choosing to acknowledge because it is invalidating something you said 7 years ago when it was a more acceptable take. And again, if we're going on peak cultural phenomenon Lost is still bigger.
To take your logic to an extreme, at one point Gangman Style was the biggest song in the world and inescapable, the first song to hit 1bil views on youtube, so it's the consensus #1 song?

I can't believe I'm still pointlessly arguing this, but GoT has plummeted down rankings , it is literally not ahead of Breaking Bad on a single one of these, including fan voted lists
/

The most highly reoccurring TV Dramas at the top are Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire,and Mad Men, in that order. I will give you the 2023 readers list by IGN did rank it #2 right under Breaking Bad, but other than that nothing in favor of your argument . Then don't even get me into once you start searching Reddit answers, you just don't either understand or want to acknowledge how much people despise the last season of GoT. But I will just drop this one ig

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
There are all kinds of music that attempt to do things that the Beatles and pop music don't. And some of them are every bit as great, or greater.

Judging them by sales is like judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree.
People vote with their wallets

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I think almost anyone who's watched both The Wire and GOT would say The Wire was the better show. There's a lot of people who haven't watched The Wire though.
Watched both several times , and the wire was great ,nothing that show did compared to hard home / battle of the bastards / eating every f***ing chicken in this room / first time seeing a giant / so on...

• Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Beach Boys should be considered the greatest vocal group of all time and it isn't particularly close

The Eagles, and Simon & Garfunkel are certainly worthy of consideration

And what about groups like Boyz II Men or The Supremes or The Temptations or The Commodores?
The Bee Gees are right there.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Bob Marley - Reggae
MJ - solo male pop star
Sinatra - crooner
Wayne Gretzky - hockey player
Marilyn Monroe - sexpot (not the same as "hottest")
Shakespeare - playwright

These some of the only ones I could find that make sense for this.
The only one I could disagree on would be Elvis > MJ.

My Best-Carey

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
So you believe the best of anything is what shifts the most units?
In some situations yes , it's a way of viewing what is consumed more with equal cost options.
McDonald's French fries out sell probably everything on earth but aren't considered the best food.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It is a part of it's history that you are not choosing to acknowledge because it is invalidating something you said 7 years ago when it was a more acceptable take. And again, if we're going on peak cultural phenomenon Lost is still bigger.
To take your logic to an extreme, at one point Gangman Style was the biggest song in the world and inescapable, the first song to hit 1bil views on youtube, so it's the consensus #1 song?
This'll be my last post on the matter since we just seem to be going in circles...

GoT was a worldwide phenomenon with viewership on a global scale. Lost, to my knowledge, never achieved such heights

So, the point about Gangnam Style is moot, since you're arguing that a song with considerably less views would be ahead of it

So you believe the best of anything is what shifts the most units?
It's not about best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad