Value of: Conor Sheary in the off-season

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still haven't found a good answer on what Pittsburgh's organizational needs are.

What are you looking for?

Pens are set down the middle (though could use a decent C prospect for when the big boys age), relatively set on the wings, and in nets. Only area they could use some help is maybe a more mobile second pairing guy so Maatta could be used as trade bait for something else.

-----

As for Sheary, he's an odd one. When he's on, he's actually really effective. Tenacious on the forecheck, gets in on the defense quickly with his speed and is good at stealing pucks, can score roughly 20 goals a season, and can play with skilled guys.

When he's off, he stickhandles as though he's playing with a rubber bouncy ball rather than a puck, and he falls down a lot. Plus, he's below average defensively.

In other words, your typical middle six forward.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Unless the Pens wants a retools this off-season, there isn't much of a cap-crunch on their way, they have to re-sign Rust and Sheahan, and not much else. If they need money for Guentzel, it will be for the 2019-20 season, when Hagelin and Brassard contracts are up too, so then I can see Sheary trade for cap reasons.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Florida for McGinn?
Vancouver for Gagner?
Pittsburgh for Weise?
Colorado for Wilson?
Dallas for Hanzal?
Minnesota for Ennis?
Calgary for Brouwer?
Kings for Clifford?
Sharks for Boedker?
Leafs for Martin?

I can't speak for all the above teams and their fans though. Just tried to look at players that those teams may be willing to move on from.

Outside looking in, Sheary is a smaller guy that isn't producing at an outstanding level and has another couple of years at 3M.

The Leafs would take that and run, laughing as they did it

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens include a draft pick for the enormous cash difference and i see Sabres saying yes. Nobody really seems to have any confidence in Nylander right now

What happened to that guy? Not developing? Struggling with the strength needed in the pro game? A product of hype because of his brother?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Tanev is way more valuable than a tweener winger and I hate the Canucks.

Most I'd offer for Sheary is a 2nd

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thanks for answering. I've seen Hagelin mentioned as a cap casualty as well, which one would you prefer to keep or are they both likely gone?

And if one had to be traded, would y'all prefer the return to be a draft pick, depth pieces, or prospects?

We should only need to lose one player max unless we find some big acquisitions and we don't really have the assets to trade for one of those.

I'd prefer a non-roster return. Our forwards have got incredibly crowded recently. So prospects or picks.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I hope by tweener you mean between 2nd and 3rd liner, not NHL and AHL.

He's most definitely not a 2nd liner.

He can be a fine producer in the bottom six...just gotta hide him defensively. He will score you 20 goals and not much play making. So if your team needs a bottom six scoring punch, Sheary is a good option.

If Sheary is in your top six, you're gonna suck.

Reactions: hockey07278771

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pens include a draft pick for the enormous cash difference and i see Sabres saying yes. Nobody really seems to have any confidence in Nylander right now

Better to simply move Sheary for Nylander 1 for 1.

We still have a lot of use for Hags. Sheary can provide some scoring depth for the Sabres next year that Nylander likely can't, and the Pens have the luxury of letting Nylander develop in WBS for awhile.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What happened to that guy? Not developing? Struggling with the strength needed in the pro game? A product of hype because of his brother?

Teenagers in the AHL sometimes do well, sometimes not. He was definitely a "not". Didn't help that he missed almost half the year after a bad groin injury right at the start of camp. His contract has slid, so accrued year don't start until this coming season. There are skills there, they just have to figure out how to get his head straight, if ever they can.

I’m unsure why so many Sabres fans want to overpay for another younger Moulson.

I’m not interested in trading Nylander, McCabe, and our 32nd overall for any combo of Sheary and scraps.

Yeah, not interested in all of those pieces for just Sheary. Way, way too much.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Florida for McGinn?

Out of all of those, this would be the only one that would hold any interest for me. Same term, similar cap hit and salary (FLA saves 500k a yr). Pittsburgh gets the less skilled player, but gets a little more grit to the lineup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I still haven't found a good answer on what Pittsburgh's organizational needs are.

What are you looking for?

Top 4 LD who can skate and move the puck. Out side of that, a gritty fast 2 way LW who can slot somewhere between L2-L4. Cap is of some concern (aka can't make 4/5m+).

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I think PIT should be looking to move BOTH Sheary & Hagelin and then try to find some more consistent scoring depth as well as someone to stabilize the blue line. Moving that 7m would go a long way

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think PIT should be looking to move BOTH Sheary & Hagelin and then try to find some more consistent scoring depth as well as someone to stabilize the blue line. Moving that 7m would go a long way

Hagelin may get moved in a shuffle, but is not a problem. He's been a valuable contributor on Geno's line and on the PK.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Without a few weeks into the summer to digest everything - so far it seems like LA, STL, BUF, EDM, & TOR all make great trade partners for the Pens in one fashion or another. Most could use a scoring depth forward - which the Pens have in abundance right now...and a few could have a interest in Tristan Jarry (BUF is the main contender there).

Pens will definitely want to lump Hunwick into any tilted trade discussions - so that's something to consider if you're wanting a player from the Pens but would only really like to give up a struggling player or pick in the process.

As for some further info on Sheary- he would fit best on a speedy team or a team looking to become speedy. He needs a good center to deliver, and will spend more time sliding around the ice than anyone would prefer. However, when he's on - he can provide some timely goals and extreme speed on the forecheck. He would likely play the same role in EDM/TOR that he is with the Pens - sometimes on line 1, sometimes on 3 or 4. I would say that 'most' Pens fans have no interest in dumping him, but we all recognize that we need some cap room going forward. And as has been pointed out before, Hags offers tremendous PK /nunchuck skills that Sheary simply doesn't have - though I wouldn't be surprised to see both moved.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would not touch Sheary if the ask is a 2nd round pick. He can still bounce back but he's had a downright terrible year. Has proven nothing away from Crosby.

Didn't he play for a lot of this season away from Crosby? Crosby only factored in on 11 of Sheary's 30 points, which really isn't that much (Crosby factored in on 37 of Sheary's 53 points last year). He put up fine 3rd line numbers this year, especially considering that 27 of his points were at ES and the Penguins as a team struggled to score for half of last season.

Sheary's a fine offensive 3rd liner that can give you a little boost in depth scoring at ES. He's paid fairly based on that.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Didn't he play for a lot of this season away from Crosby? Crosby only factored in on 11 of Sheary's 30 points, which really isn't that much (Crosby factored in on 37 of Sheary's 53 points last year). He put up fine 3rd line numbers this year, especially considering that 27 of his points were at ES and the Penguins as a team struggled to score for half of last season.

Sheary's a fine offensive 3rd liner that can give you a little boost in depth scoring at ES. He's paid fairly based on that.

Different type of style, but is he comparable in production to say Zach Hyman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad