Value of: Conor Sheary in the off-season

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Different type of style, but is he comparable in production to say Zach Hyman?

He's got more offensive ability than Hyman but Hyman's simpler game blows less hot and cold. As others have pointed out, when Sheary's on he's a good 2nd line winger but when he's off he's 3rd line depth scoring who doesn't bring much else to the table.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's got more offensive ability than Hyman but Hyman's simpler game blows less hot and cold. As others have pointed out, when Sheary's on he's a good 2nd line winger but when he's off he's 3rd line depth scoring who doesn't bring much else to the table.

This.

Bottom line he's a skilled 3rd line winger who can at times play up in the lineup and be good. But when he's not producing, frequently he doesn't bring much to the table. That said, he didn't produce these POs, and him and Brassard regularly would have great zone time deep in WSH/PHI's end. Shotwise they also did really well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's not in the NHL in 2-3 years.

You can say that about most bottom-6 players, though. Especially offense only ones like Sheary.

I think you'll probably see Sheary traded to a team with a weak wing group for either a small future based package (2nd or 3rd and a decent prospect) or a decent #5 defenseman. I like the idea of trading Sheary for Del Zotto, but I'm not sure if Vancouver would want Sheary. I think Edmonton and Buffalo are 2 teams that would definitely be interested in Sheary.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins have several legit NHL wings. With ZAR and Sprong looking to make the jump, we just have a few too many. We could use a good 4/5/6 to bolster the blue line and picks.

We are pretty set at center: Sid, Geno, Brassard, Sheahan (RFA).

We are looking good at wing: Guentzel, Hornqvist, Rust, Hagelin, Kessel, Sprong, ZAR.

Blueline could use work: Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Oleksiak, Hunwick, Rudwedel.

My sense is that they will look for the core players moving forward, trade out those that aren't a part of the plan, and beef up other areas.

Ron Hainsey and the Leafs’ 3rd rd pick of 2018 for Sheary

Run friend. Run.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Simple common sense suggests that Sheary is traded for picks or prospects, not a single player on a roster making money. This is nothing more to clear some cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad