Conor Garland trade?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
once we sign Kane we're not gonna have enough space
curious how the kane saga is going to go. If he cares about the american born points leader leaderboard like most have suggested, it would make sense to go to buffalo or here (specifically because of dbc chemistry). If he wants to win again, not sure if he would bite that bullet and sign here on a one year deal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Garland is a cap dump. Barring a cap dump of our own or getting assets in addition it makes zero sense to trade for him.

If we want Garland on this roster, just call up Berggren instead.
If Berggren played with Garland's jam he would already be on the team.

I think the only way this makes sense is if Chiarot is in the deal. Vancouver doesn't have a lot of prospects that intrigue me, so I want them taking one of our bad contracts back in terms of D-man.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I would take Garland without retention just as a thank you for gifting us ASP (and Nilsson) in exchange for the privilege of not overpaying Hronek.

What a colossally bone-headed move by Allvin. Imagine that blueline with Hughes and ASP in a couple years

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If Berggren played with Garland's jam he would already be on the team.

I think the only way this makes sense is if Chiarot is in the deal. Vancouver doesn't have a lot of prospects that intrigue me, so I want them taking one of our bad contracts back in terms of D-man.
If Garland played with the apparent jam he'd be staying in Vancouver.

Reactions: Gniwder

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I would take Garland without retention just as a thank you for gifting us ASP (and Nilsson) in exchange for the privilege of not overpaying Hronek.

What a colossally bone-headed move by Allvin. Imagine that blueline with Hughes and ASP in a couple years
there is a vancouver fan that i was arguing with that seems to believe hronek is realgud

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Are people confident that Berggren is better than Garland? An I know he's 5 million and it's a cap dump. I was thinking a move to alleviate the log-jam for Edvinsson.

Too often these conversations get derailed by one posters obsession with money and not wanting to ever pay players. Red Wings have something like a smudge over 4 million, and a trade involving Maatta only adds something like 1.9 million.

Red Wings have something like 29 million in cap space next year, they have more than enough to pick up the extra money Garland would cost for the rest of this year and the 2 years after.

Sprong/Perron aren't signed after next year. After Debrincat, Raymond, Fabbri there isn't a ton of really good scoring players signed beyond next season.

A move like this improves scoring depth and allows your good rookie defensemen a pathway to the NHL(without injuries).

Now it's early, and if anyone thinks Wings got a shot at Kane for free(cap money), I understand why then you'd be hesitant to make any moves till he decides what to do.

I do agree with people thinking Vancouver could possibly have to throw something our way (low pick/prospect) because Wings are doing them the favor, not the other way around.

LHD Ollie Maatta X F Conor Garland, Vancouvers 5th round pick.

Reactions: Henkka

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I'm pretty much sure Garland is not the type of players SY would go for.

Also don't trade Olli and play him. He is our best defensive D just after Seider. I barely notice him making a mistake.

Reactions: Gniwder

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Are people confident that Berggren is better than Garland? An I know he's 5 million and it's a cap dump. I was thinking a move to alleviate the log-jam for Edvinsson.

Too often these conversations get derailed by one posters obsession with money and not wanting to ever pay players. Red Wings have something like a smudge over 4 million, and a trade involving Maatta only adds something like 1.9 million.

Red Wings have something like 29 million in cap space next year, they have more than enough to pick up the extra money Garland would cost for the rest of this year and the 2 years after.

Sprong/Perron aren't signed after next year. After Debrincat, Raymond, Fabbri there isn't a ton of really good scoring players signed beyond next season.

A move like this improves scoring depth and allows your good rookie defensemen a pathway to the NHL(without injuries).

Now it's early, and if anyone thinks Wings got a shot at Kane for free(cap money), I understand why then you'd be hesitant to make any moves till he decides what to do.

I do agree with people thinking Vancouver could possibly have to throw something our way (low pick/prospect) because Wings are doing them the favor, not the other way around.
Better? He had a better 22yo season than Garland did. It's more a matter of their relative impacts are close enough that it doesn't make any sense to take on $5M in salary unless Vancouver makes it more than worth our while. Like taking on Chiarot plus giving us something else on top of it. They need a defenseman and they need to free up salary to do it. The Wings do not need Connor Garland.

If we want to add a small middle 6 winger to the lineup, we've got those in spades. Don't need to take on anyone elses. Again, unless they make it worth our while.

Maatta for Garland and a 5th is just doing Vancouver a needless favor.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Burger, Kasper, Elmer, Danielson, Mazur, Lombardi, and Doucet. At least one of them will be ready, and I'll bet Perron re-signs for a reasonable deal.

As for making space for Ed, Ghost is on a 1 year contract and Petry is already in the press box.

I'd do it for Chiarot though, I have this ugly feeling he'll start sucking again after a few games.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Burger, Kasper, Elmer, Danielson, Mazur, Lombardi, and Doucet. At least one of them will be ready, and I'll bet Perron re-signs for a reasonable deal.

As for making space for Ed, Ghost is on a 1 year contract and Petry is already in the press box.

I'd do it for Chiarot though, I have this ugly feeling he'll start sucking again after a few games.

Chiarot sucks now. Skate it to center, dump it in to nobody and start skating back into our end, and then rinse and repeat. Pass the puck to literally anyone else out there and let them do "offence"!

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Garland and 1st for Maatta?

I really like Maatta but switch in Edvinsson. Trade Perron at deadline.

Maatta -> Edvinsson
Perron -> Garland
Plus a good 1st

Edit. Oops wrote it wrong. I meant the 1st comes our way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Better? He had a better 22yo season than Garland did. It's more a matter of their relative impacts are close enough that it doesn't make any sense to take on $5M in salary unless Vancouver makes it more than worth our while. Like taking on Chiarot plus giving us something else on top of it. They need a defenseman and they need to free up salary to do it. The Wings do not need Connor Garland.

If we want to add a small middle 6 winger to the lineup, we've got those in spades. Don't need to take on anyone elses. Again, unless they make it worth our while.

Maatta for Garland and a 5th is just doing Vancouver a needless favor.
I didn't suggest he had a better season than Berggren at 22, Idk why that's relevant right now. It's just, right now one player is better than the other without much question.

Idk, when someone suggest Vancouver should take Chiarot plus give Wings something, then yeah, you're just not in the right headspace. Garlands an actual useful/good player. Vancouver can(and will) trade him to another team for an actual useful player too vs anything like that suggestion.

I'll hit a nerve since I know some of your posting history...

Garland for Berggren straight up!

Garland for Maatta and 1st?
No way man, what the heck, if anything Vancouver would be giving a lower pick/prospect back to the Wings.

I'm not going go hyperbolic like Norris an suggest trading Chiarot plus receiving picks. Garlands an actual useful player. They'll be better players available later, so, not upset if no one wants him just pushing some convo early. He's one of the first names to pop up this year.

Quite frankly the best spot for Garland/trade partner is the Blue Jackets who have a surplus of defense and need scoring.

Last edited:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Idk, when someone suggest Vancouver should take Chiarot plus give Wings something, then yeah, you're just not in the right headspace. Garlands an actual useful/good player.

Pretty sure you're the same dude that wanted to give up seashells for Debrincat too till the actual trade went down. Hounding the thread making fun of everyone's ideas.

No way man, what the heck, if anything Vancouver would be giving a lower pick/prospect back to the Wings.

I'm not going go hyperbolic like Norris but suggest trading Chiarot plus receiving picks. Garlands an actual useful player.

Quite frankly the best spot for Garland/trade partner is the Blue Jackets who have a surplus of defense and need scoring.
My bad. I meant we get Garland and 1st.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
My bad. I meant we get Garland and 1st.
Oh that's a slam dunk, easy yes then. Think anyone here would trade Maatta straight up for the 1st rdp, from any team.

Garland last two season he's produced around a Lucas Raymond level. Teams will actually want him without Vancouver giving up any picks. This isn't a traditional cap dump, where the guy being "dumped" essentially has no value or is old.

Last edited:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Oh that's a slam dunk, easy yes then. Think anyone here would trade Maatta straight up for the 1st rdp, from any team.

Garland last two season he's produced around a Lucas Raymond level. Teams will actually want him without Vancouver giving up any picks. This isn't a traditional cap dump, where the guy being "dumped" essentially has no value or is old.
Yeah. Gotcha. Personally I wouldn’t want to give assets up for him (at least not much)

In a dump situation that paid us sure. But I’d much rather have Maatta.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I didn't suggest he had a better season than Berggren at 22, Idk why that's relevant right now. It's just, right now one player is better than the other without much question.

Idk, when someone suggest Vancouver should take Chiarot plus give Wings something, then yeah, you're just not in the right headspace. Garlands an actual useful/good player. Vancouver can(and will) trade him to another team for an actual useful player too vs anything like that suggestion.

There is plenty of question. Vancouver has given Garland's representation permission to try and find a trade. That's not the kind of player with positive trade value.

Garland for Berggren is throwing cap space away without getting anything meaningful for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad