Connor vs Marner

Ladies of HF, who would you rather have?

• Total voters

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
In another thread someone mentioned Connor vs Marner and it got me thinking: taking in all factors who'd ya rather?

Marner had an outstanding season with 67 points in 59 games, but costs nearly 11 million.
Connor came in just shy of that with 73 points in 71 games but is down near the 7 million dollar mark.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Without contracts taken into account, I would honestly not be able to tell you which player I'd prefer, both players are fantastic and getting better as they go! I'm seriously happy we have Connor, but if we suddenly had Marner instead, I'd be no less happy.

I do believe Marner is slightly better at this time, but I think Connor is catching up fast. With the contract taken into consideration, I guess it's no contest for me.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner > Connor no question even with contracts taken into account. Would probably take Nylander over Connor too.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Nah. And I think you know that.
Just an FYI here (I don’t watch enough jets games to give a Connor comparison, nor do most of the ‘my teams player, answers’) but nylander has been much better than marner thus far this year. Points aside.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think a couple million on contracts are often overrated for getting the better player, but Marner is pushing the limit a bit here. I would take him to start a team but for a set roster I think it depends on how well the team can handle that big a cap

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marner > Connor no question even with contracts taken into account. Would probably take Nylander over Connor too.
Never change! Lol!

Marner slightly better but with contracts taken into account I’d take Connor.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I actually LOLed at "just shy"

1.03ppg isnt just shy of 1.14ppg. Its basically 10pts a year. Marner absolutely hammered him last year as well (94pts to 66pts with a whopping 70ESpt vs 46ESpt difference) and is younger. Marner drives his line (even with JT on it). I dont see that with Connor

Connor is closer to Nylander than Marner.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I will have the much better player which in this case is Marner, even when contracts are taken into account.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I actually LOLed at "just shy"

1.03ppg isnt just shy of 1.14ppg. Its basically 10pts a year. Marner absolutely hammered him last year as well (94pts to 66pts with a whopping 70ESpt vs 46ESpt difference) and is younger. Marner drives his line (even with JT on it). I dont see that with Connor

Connor is closer to Nylander than Marner.

1.03 isnt too far off from 1.14, especially if more goals and if you assume player is still upwards trending.

The biggest issue is - Marner feels like a safe bet to consistently produce at that level. Connor - no guarantee he can sustain that level year to year yet

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes. Cap space is way overrated.

Elite talent >>> cap space
Cap space is extremely underrated in the hands of a really good GM. We’ve already seen lots of examples of good GMs taking advantage of cap strapped GMs in one sided trades. See for example Dubas giving up a first to get rid of one year of Marleau.

The more accurate statement is:
Elite talent plus cap space is >>>>>than elite talent.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad