Connor vs Laine

Ladies of HF, who would you rather have?

• Total voters

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Yep Connor was not great. Laine was non-existent. I disagree that Connor was scared. He just is not a physical player and has always avoided contact when possible. I thought he made a few nice plays, I remember he made a nice pass to Demelo. Laine is the better player and if at equal value it's a no-brainer. How much more is he worth however? A million. Sure, completely do-able. 1.5, yep. 2.5? That's really pushing it. Does Laine even want to sign with the Jets long-term? As you have referred to, it seems like he doesn't.
We will only be able to answer this question when Laine gets his next contract.

While debating contacts between players a lot us tend to forget the years in between and inflation. I know the flat cap kinda threw a wrench into this theory but in a normal world if laine signeD 3 years later then Connor for the amount in the OP Is it really that much more??

example being sheif contact compared to if he signed this year

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
They are both quite bad defensively. Connor has been better at generating shot attempts. I think their impact has been close, but I think Laine has more potential for improvement. But I think that the $2.5M cap hit difference tilts the scales to Connor, all things considered.

View attachment 376531

View attachment 376532

I project larger improvement in Laine than Connor, given how their defense both optically and statistically has been tracking in trajectory.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
While debating contacts between players a lot us tend to forget the years in between and inflation. I know the flat cap kinda threw a wrench into this theory but in a normal world if laine signeD 3 years later then Connor for the amount in the OP Is it really that much more??

example being sheif contact compared to if he signed this year
How much Laine signs for is only important in how much room do we have for #1D. So if the cap stays the same, does it matter if it's three years later if there isn't cap space for that D?
It comes down to where do u want to spend your dollars. Wing, centre? D?

Last edited:
Reactions: Teemusalami204

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don’t think a 1D is in the cards for this team until we draft one.
True but it’s about where u want to allocate dollars. If there is nowhere else this isn’t much of a debate.
We could pay laine 15 mil a season and that’s fine if it doesn’t create shortage elsewhere.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
*shouts and then runs away* Ehlers is better than both

125315F64F4F7B2104313D1DA95339C91C9C7CAF

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
IMO 90 goals is a reasonable estimation of the amount of goals we can expect from Laine and Connor combined. Connor was on pace for 43 goals last season and Laine has scored in the mid 40's. I also don't think it is realistic for Laine to shoot 18% again, but it isn't unreasonable that he ups his shot total. I also think $9.65 M is an AAV that will be a contract above what Laine has proved so far, and might be a contract that limits us as a team. While I have been critical of Chevy lately he has proven a good negotiator and I don't expect him to overpay what a player has earned.

Yea I tend to agree.

I like Laine but a big part of what I like is his potential. I have no interest in today’s flat cap world of paying Laine $9+ million based on who he is currently as a player and how our roster is constructed. I like that both sides get to live out the second year of the show me bridge deal.

I am cheering for you Patrik, you are going to be playing with a good centre in your draft +5 season and I am expecting a big step forward. I hope you prove me right.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
*shouts and then runs away* Ehlers is better than both

Ehlers with 7*6 or 7*9.65?

Ehlers is pretty much his prime now and with 7*6 he is no brainer at the moment in most cases.

yea at $6 million AAV despite his suboptimal usage to date Ehlers is a true beauty and an easy choice for me as of today.

The final step for Patrik would look like ......the game slows down for him, puck security improves, his strength rounds out, and he becomes a play driver for his line while shooting 14% or better. In short he becomes our best all around player and gets paid accordingly. Not sure if that happens but it would be nice.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
True but it’s about where u want to allocate dollars. If there is nowhere else this isn’t much of a debate.
We could pay laine 15 mil a season and that’s fine if it doesn’t create shortage elsewhere.
You don't give up on creating a complete team and be happy with being a bubble team because you don't currently have a #1 RHD. The gaps don't stop there, we also have a 1 year 35 y/o stop gap at #2 center and are hoping one of our promising LHD prospects can jump into the top 4 as a rookie. This is just the most obvious gaps. Currently we are a poorly constructed team that already has far too much cap space allocated to wingers. Over paying Laine or any winger for that matter just makes that worse.

Reactions: ps241 and LowLefty

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Usage is a variable that can change things quite drastically.
he had the 2nd most EV+PP toi/gp at RW this year across the NHL, with almost 75% of his overall TOI with Scheifele, along with being the focal point on the PP. He got favorable usage.

Yea I tend to agree.

I like Laine but a big part of what I like is his potential. I have no interesting in today’s flat cap world of paying Laine $9+ million based on who he is currently as a player and how our roster is constructed. I like that both sides get to live out the second year of the show me bridge deal.

I am cheering for you Patrik, you are going to be playing with a good centre in your draft +5 season and I am expecting a big step forward. I hope you prove me right.

agreed. if this was poll was laine at 7.5M it'd be him no question. but 9.6m for basically a Right Handed Version of Connor (stats wise), while Connor is 2.5M less is too rich imo.

Reactions: Roughneck1

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
he had the 2nd most EV+PP toi/gp at RW this year across the NHL, with almost 75% of his overall TOI with Scheifele, along with being the focal point on the PP. He got favorable usage.
Would you say his overall efficiency, in comparison to his third season, went up last year due to more favourable usage?

Hard to determine, given that efficiency and production are different.

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Would you say his overall efficiency, in comparison to his third season, went up last year due to more favourable usage?

Hard to determine, given that efficiency and production are different.
in comparison to Y3? yes it was better.

but i don't think it was better than his first 2. id still rate his latest season 3rd behind those two years.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ehlers with 7*6 or 7*9.65?

Ehlers is pretty much his prime now and with 7*6 he is no brainer at the moment in most cases.

I believe Ehlers to have the most positive impact of the 3 while also being the cheapest of the 3.

Ehlers at 9.65 is an overpay, but if they were all equally paid I still go Ehlers.

Although my original post was mostly me being silly anyways haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad