Connor McDavid scores most points in Playoff history without making the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
But if these are playoff points, then both teams did make the playoffs.

Technically they are half playoffs/half regular season. Very impressive either way, 9 points (5 goals) in 4 games against a team that beat you 3/4. He's the best player in the world without a doubt.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
A three point night? Doable.

HF likes to pretend Matthews is not a good playoff guy despite a record that says he is, but I don't think anyone but Oiler fan care about this dubious record.
Dude he's not even doing this in the actual playoffs.... These are the qualifiers LOL. Y'all hype him like he's the greatest player in the world. These points should not even count for any player.

That being said, he's been the leafs best player every game in this series because he's the only one who seems to give a damn. However, if he doesn't produce tonight, that will be 3 STRAIGHT winner-take-all games where he is held pointless with 3 straight eliminations.

He can put up all the points he wants but do it when it matters the most. Like last game, helped tie the game and smoked the OT winner.

If he doesn't show up tonight, people have the right to think he's shaky in the playoffs.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I wouldnt get too cocky McDavid. We're all rooting for Matthews to take your record away tonight

A three point night? Doable.

HF likes to pretend Matthews is not a good playoff guy despite a record that says he is, but I don't think anyone but Oiler fan care about this dubious record.

I hope Matthews gets 3 assists and the Leafs lose... Matthews and McDavid would be tied and we can then all agree that Matthews = McDavid.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Take it up with the NHL I guess.
View attachment 359383
What? You're literally quoting something calling these "postseason points", which I agree they are, Qualifiers are postseason.

Nothing in that img says anything about these being playoff stats.
Did that not seem weird to type out?

Only in 2020 folks.
Playoffs are part of the postseason.

Postseason isn't necessarily only playoffs, for instance in this case, postseason consists of qualifiers and playoffs.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Oilers made the playoffs and were eliminated in the qualifying round.

Only if you’re trying to rationalize to blindly defend the NHL. Normal playoff rounds aren’t best of five, don’t have non-elimination round robin series occurring concurrently, or are referred to as play-in rounds.

Following your logic, it would mean the NHL held a lottery for some playoff teams and not others and are awarding the 1st overall to a playoff team. So, which is it to you?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The Oilers made the playoffs and were eliminated in the qualifying round.
Well this just is wrong. Oilers made the postseason, got eliminated in qualifiers, and didn't make playoffs.

NHL itself calls these qualifiers, why are people inventing that they're the playoffs?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
But the NHL said it's playoff points which means it's playoff points. You can pretend it's not but the NHL has the final say.

Yeah obviously. It proves however how full of it they are though also! Hey guys look "your stats will count as playoff stats, but you can still not make the playoffs, ok"!

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
What? You're literally quoting something calling these "postseason points", which I agree they are, Qualifiers are postseason.

Nothing in that img says anything about these being playoff stats.
Playoffs are part of the postseason.

Postseason isn't necessarily only playoffs, for instance in this case, postseason consists of qualifiers and playoffs.
I was under the impression that ‘postseason’ and ‘playoffs’ were being used interchangeably, which is why the NHL is counting the qualifying round stats as playoff stats and records set in the qualifying round as playoff records. For example:
1095270F-55E0-4404-8682-A978630B920B.jpeg

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So you're cheering for Matthews to score 4 pts (which would give him 10... 1 more than McDavid) and for the Leafs to lose? ... since the record is "NHL record for most playoff points in a season in which his team did not qualify for the playoffs."

Odd... you Leaf fans are a strange lot.

Edit: Hmmm... Maybe its not odd at all. Maybe @bobholly39 isn't a Leaf fan and he wants the Leafs to lose.
Scintillating observation mate.

Reactions: Del Preston

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Here is another example from the NHL’s website which specifically labels playoff results. If the Oilers didn’t make the playoffs it would say DNQ, right?

4191A8F9-990B-411D-88D5-E9B76D6404B2.jpeg

Edit: and another example from the NHL’s website that lists McDavid’s 2020 playoff stats.
63276AF4-6F10-45C2-AC5C-65F8F5630651.jpeg

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why did they call it qualifying then? If the Oilers were already in the playoffs what were they qualifying for?

They called it that until the first lottery, then pretty much immediately admitted the reality of what it was.

When they do the lottery the second time tomorrow, they also won't call them playoff teams.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Except his team did make the playoffs. 24 teams made the playoffs.

Back in the good old days only 8 teams made the playoffs. But in 2019-20, twenty-four teams made it.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad