Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VI: Hart, Ross and Lindsay Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I get a tonsil and/or throat infection pretty much every year from a cold or flu. Gotta give McDavid huge kudos for playing PPG hockey through that. I am the most miserable piece of crap when I get it, don't want to do anything, hehe.

He still looks really bad. I gather he still has mono?

He's been great recently. Last night was just Vlasic again. That same Vlasic guy that neutralized Crosby in the finals a couple years ago. Probably the best defensive D in the world. McDavid looked pretty much the same in the 1st round last year as he did last night against SJ. Braun seems to be having a career year as well, so that makes it even tougher for McDavid's line against them.

Maybe McDavid figures Vlasic out eventually, but for now, we have to beat SJ on the PP and with depth. Pretty much what we did last night and last summer.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I get a tonsil and/or throat infection pretty much every year from a cold or flu. Gotta give McDavid huge kudos for playing PPG hockey through that. I am the most miserable piece of crap when I get it, don't want to do anything, hehe.

He's been great recently. Last night was just Vlasic again. That same Vlasic guy that neutralized Crosby in the finals a couple years ago. Probably the best defensive D in the world. McDavid looked pretty much the same in the 1st round last year as he did last night against SJ. Braun seems to be having a career year as well, so that makes it even tougher for McDavid's line against them.

Maybe McDavid figures Vlasic out eventually, but for now, we have to beat SJ on the PP and with depth. Pretty much what we did last night and last summer.

He really looked lethargic. His passing was sub par as well. Lucic looked faster than him.

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
I saw him live in columbus. He looked explosive. Never seen something like that live before. But sitting lower bowl center ice... unbelievable. My best hockey memory live was watching his skill.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He had a bad game against SJ, but even in a bad game he set up a few high quality chances. Wouldn't be a peep about his play if Puljujarvi buries that 2 on 1 pass in all alone from Connor or if he scores on the Puljujarvi rebound that Jones just barely kicked his pad out to stop. With all the Vlasic talk, he actually made Vlasic look silly on that play playing keep away as Vlasic tried to cut him off before he could get a pass off on the broken 2 on 1.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I saw him live in columbus. He looked explosive. Never seen something like that live before. But sitting lower bowl center ice... unbelievable. My best hockey memory live was watching his skill.

I have a similar best memory from the world cup of hockey. Got rinkside seats for Team NA vs Sweden. What an amazing display of skill that game was...

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I have a similar best memory from the world cup of hockey. Got rinkside seats for Team NA vs Sweden. What an amazing display of skill that game was...

I had brought about 8 or 9 friends to go see the Kitchener Rangers vs the Erie Otters about 4 years ago. By the end of the first every one of those bastards was cheering for Erie (well mainly for McDavid)... I can't really blame them now, but at the time I was so mad ahaha.

Reactions: Aerrol

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I can't help but wonder if Connor's flu has returned, it's very common for these things to reoccur.

I feel like the Oilers medical staff needs to take some heat, I don't want anyone to lose their jobs but I've seen enough to fire the team doctor. Maybe bring in Randy Gregg who knows a thing or 2 about what it takes to win and stay healthy.

Illness, injury and unfair reffing have put us where we are, we've got control over 2 of these things, make a move Chia.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Teams have figured out McDavid. Until he proves he can score goals from his shot he will be controllable. Dmen just play the angles now and force him to the outside. A great many of his passes now end up being intercepted by opposing players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Teams have figured out McDavid. Until he proves he can score goals from his shot he will be controllable. Dmen just play the angles now and force him to the outside. A great many of his passes now end up being intercepted by opposing players.

He's too predictable, always tries to force the perfect pass. I know that he's battled health issues this season but I can't be the only one that expected him to take another step forward this season and instead has seen him take a step back. As much as we complain about Woodcroft, he can't shoot the puck for Connor. That said maybe if he gave Connor someone that could pass and shoot the puck on the left side things would be different?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Every time he skates across the blue line I tell myself he's going to pass the puck. And he does. If I can see it, so can opposing coaches.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
First time being held pointless in 3 straight games in his career? Wonder if he's starting to feel frustrated yet with how this season has gone and the direction this team is heading.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
He's too predictable, always tries to force the perfect pass. I know that he's battled health issues this season but I can't be the only one that expected him to take another step forward this season and instead has seen him take a step back. As much as we complain about Woodcroft, he can't shoot the puck for Connor. That said maybe if he gave Connor someone that could pass and shoot the puck on the left side things would be different?

Agree. I think the coaches are getting frustrated with Connor's unwillingness to be a bit more of a volume shooter. Connor's a smart guy but he should know that firing shots or simply directing pucks at the net at a much higher rate than he is now will only open up more chances for him in the future and make things more unpredictable for the other team and their goalies.

I think his problem is he's a perfectionist. I think it doesn't sit well with him when plays are not perfect passing places all neat and tidy and into the back of a wide open net. I think he hates shooting (or "wasting shots") when he is not sure the puck will wind up in the net. He has to get rid of this mind set or he won't progress into his full potential and or effectiveness as far as helping the team win. He sometimes looks like he's out there dominating a shinny game and won't shoot or make the simple/ugly play because he's beyond that for shinny.

Honestly, despite his flashes of sheer brilliance and being a top offensive threat in the league, he has disappointed me this year. I really thought he'd take a step forward and get rid of his stubbornness of not shooting and sharpen up his overall game. Obviously he is amongst the least of our concerns for the team but still.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Literally the first 3 game slump of his career

"Teams have figured him out"

He leads the team in shots, is on pace for another 30 goal campaign.

If he had a linemate or two who could actually finish on the gifts he gives every single night people wouldn't be complaining.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If he had a linemate or two who could actually finish on the gifts he gives every single night people wouldn't be complaining.

I hold him to a higher standard than other players. If he shot and scored more perhaps his teammates would get a little more room to shoot, it's a double edged sword. He's still our best player by a good margin but IMO he could be even better than he currently is if he'd shoot more and make opposing defenses and PK's a little more honest from doing so.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

It blows me away that there are some people who can't see this.

It's almost insulting that Puljujarvi didn't have a hat trick in the last game, but people make comments about McDavid 'passing too much' and 'being figured out.'

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It blows me away that there are some people who can't see this.

It's almost insulting that Puljujarvi didn't have a hat trick in the last game, but people make comments about McDavid 'passing too much' and 'being figured out.'
Make no mistake, McDavids ineffective wingers are just as responsible, but you can see the plays he's going to make coming from a mile away.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I do wish McLellan noticed that Lucic's hands were encased in cement that first game after the break. Guy couldn't even receive a pass. That was the time to make a quick change to try to carry momentum from the win streak. Instead, 5 or 6 glorious chances completely wasted and that's all she wrote, the slide hasn't stopped.

Tatehamma

Aug 29, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
You guys are going to rip my thoughts on McDavid, but here it goes... IMO McDavid is the main reason why the Oilers are struggling. From the outside looking in, the players rely on him too much. "We have McDavid, we will be fine". Of course, don't get me wrong, I think McDavid is one of the best players in the world...but he's no god. Yes, he scores some amazing looking goals and sets up a lot of highlight reel goals, but last time i checked a highlight reel goal doesn't count any more than a garbage goal. His arrogance shows in every interview, and makes me wonder how much of a leader and well liked he really is in the dressing room.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
You guys are going to rip my thoughts on McDavid, but here it goes... IMO McDavid is the main reason why the Oilers are struggling. From the outside looking in, the players rely on him too much. "We have McDavid, we will be fine". Of course, don't get me wrong, I think McDavid is one of the best players in the world...but he's no god. Yes, he scores some amazing looking goals and sets up a lot of highlight reel goals, but last time i checked a highlight reel goal doesn't count any more than a garbage goal. His arrogance shows in every interview, and makes me wonder how much of a leader and well liked he really is in the dressing room.

1331415949943_zpsf6dhavxh.gif

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Thanks for stopping in, but you are going to get ripped.

McDavid is not even close to a reason that they're struggling. If professional athletes have that attitude, they should not be playing at the highest level.

I don't see the arrogance at all with McDavid. I think he needs to be more selfish and take more shots, but he's constantly trying to set up his teammates for a goal. His interviews are very bland and scripted because he's been dealing with that for his entire life. Do you consider Crosby arrogant because his interviews are bland?

The probably with the team is the depth and players around McDavid. Their drafting and developing has been questionable over the last few years and it shows.

Reactions: Tatehamma

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If he wanted 15 million I still wouldn’t be complaining about his contract. He’s been sick for a 10 game stretch and is still near the top of the league in scoring.

Tatehamma

Aug 29, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for stopping in, but you are going to get ripped.

McDavid is not even close to a reason that they're struggling. If professional athletes have that attitude, they should not be playing at the highest level.

I don't see the arrogance at all with McDavid. I think he needs to be more selfish and take more shots, but he's constantly trying to set up his teammates for a goal. His interviews are very bland and scripted because he's been dealing with that for his entire life. Do you consider Crosby arrogant because his interviews are bland?

The probably with the team is the depth and players around McDavid. Their drafting and developing has been questionable over the last few years and it shows.

After reading my comment about him being arrogant, i take it back. He's allowed to be arrogant because he is THAT GOOD. Hard not to be. But how is he in the dressing room? Besides being respected for his talent, is he respected as a person and a team player? The Oilers have the pieces...just no chemistry. Go ahead and say I'm wrong, as I hope I am cause I want to see the Oilers do well, but I just don't understand the struggle in Edmonton. Help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad