Connor McDavid notches the most assists for RS+PS since Lemieux

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
With his fifth assist of the night McDavid now has 105 assists this season, the regular season and post season combined. Joe Thornton had the the previous high mark since Lemieux with 103.

McDavid also holds the highest total for goals with 71 (with Matthews up there with 70), again since Mario Lemieux.

The all time records in these categories are 100 goals and 174 assists (separate seasons) by Wayne Gretzky.

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
mcdavid doesn’t have what it takes to win tho. Over 25% of crosbys first smythe performance in one game but “he needs to prove he’s good enough to win it”

Edit: not a knock on Crosby at all. Just highlighting how we should weigh team accomplishments vs individual

Last edited:

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
If Oilers go on a finals run and end up playing 24 games or so, there's a very real chance that McDavid could break the playoff point record.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
If Oilers go on a finals run and end up playing 24 games or so, there's a very real chance that McDavid could break the playoff point record.
Sure but let's wait just a bit. Last playoffs it looked like Draisaitl breaking the goal record was a done deal having potted 13 goals in the first 8 games.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Sure but let's wait just a bit. Last playoffs it looked like Draisaitl breaking the goal record was a done deal having potted 13 goals in the first 8 games.
Though if we were to speculate I think the assist record is more likely with the current always-look-for-a-pass incarnation of McDavid. With a well-oiled PP squad and snipers in Hyman and Draisaitl McD doesn't even need to shoot and if he can keep up a rate of, say, 1.7 apg, he could break the record (31 by Gretzky) not even getting to the finals.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
McDavid is the reason the Bettman Golden LTIR’s mailed it in against the Ducks in Game 82. Can’t blame them. No sense cheating and then playing with an ounce of shame.
Not that this one-line Oiler team is an insurmountable hurdle for Vegas, though. We must hope for a hard-fought seven game series, whichever team comes out on top. And we'll see how the Kings gear up, they sure have a decent chance I think.

Edit. Disregard all that, VAN/NSH plays EDM/LAK next. My bad.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
With the 5A wffort McDavid also eclipsed 1.0+ APG (51 in 50) for playoff career. Seems as though Gretzky is the only other player with 1.0+ APG at any decent number of games. Out of other active players Draisaitl (47 in 50), Eichel (22 in 23) and Quinn Hughes (16 in 18) are all pretty close.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
What a silly record in OP. RS and PS stats has always been separate.

Was this invented to showboat mcdavid?
I'm a stats guy, find numbers intriguing. And, partially yes.

I get that comparing playoff points and achievements isn't as fair as those of regular season but I don't think this particular feat is unfair to anyone as literally one single playoff game was needed to achieve it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad