Connor Bedard vs Shane Wright

Who is the better prospect?

• Total voters

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bedard by a lot.

He is going to be an absolute NHL superstar. His shot is already pro caliber, what he is doing right now in the WHL for an exceptional status is mind blowing. It's only a 9 game sample size, but he might already be the best player in that league. At 15 years old.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bedard looks crazy good but Wright was dominating the OHL as a rookie last year as well

Bad luck for him he didnt get to play this year with COVID

I think it's going to be pretty close

These two guys should replace McDavid as the best player in the league around 2025

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bedard looks crazy good but Wright was dominating the OHL as a rookie last year as well

Bad luck for him he didnt get to play this year with COVID

I think it's going to be pretty close

These two guys should replace McDavid as the best player in the league around 2025
That's too soon. 19-20 years old Wright and Bedard aren't going to replace in his prime 28 years old McDavid

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Will have to see where Wright is at this year. Bedard is having a much stronger start to his WHL season than Wright did in the OHL, but I'm not sure where the league strength is at this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How many people voting have even seen both play?

Wright was in the OHL last year and played in the Canada Winter Games for Team Ontario which was nationally broadcasted.

Bedard is breaking in right now for the Pats and played in a pretty high level league before his major junior debut in the WHL. Many eyes, at least in Western Canada have been anticipating his WHL debut for awhile given the exceptional status granted to him.

I’d imagine many hardcore fans (myself included) from Canada have seen glimpses if not full games of both. Their names have been out there for awhile in the hockey world.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
That's too soon. 19-20 years old Wright and Bedard aren't going to replace in his prime 28 years old McDavid

True, but not by much. McDavid arguably became the best player at 20 while Crosby was 30. These two are only 7 and 8 years younger, so it might not be until they're 21-22.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wright was in the OHL last year and played in the Canada Winter Games for Team Ontario which was nationally broadcasted.

Bedard is breaking in right now for the Pats and played in a pretty high level league before his major junior debut in the WHL.

I’d imagine many hardcore fans (myself included) from Canada have seen glimpses if not full games of both. Their names have been out there for awhile in the hockey world.

The poll section of this website includes a lot of NHL fans that don't follow prospects. Some people still might've not even heard of Bedard and Wright. If they have, there's still a good chance they haven't seen Wright play yet. If they have, there's still a good chance they've yet to see Bedard play.

There were 32 votes in this poll. I would guess as a collective less than 15 who voted have seen both play. I tend to think if you haven't seen them play you can't have an informed take, so while I'm not saying anyone is lying, I think some people are voting purely based on hype, which defeats the purpose of a poll. If someone doesn't have an informed opinion, shouldn't they not participate in the discussion?

I myself didn't want to vote in the recent Michkov vs. Bedard thread because I have yet to see Bedard play. I'm someone who follows this stuff closely, so I think if I haven't had the opportunity yet to see one of the two play that there are probably a lot of others who haven't either. And now there's another Bedard thread. To me, it just seems like the type of thread to wait a year for because most of the votes are going to be based entirely on hype. At least with these NHL player polls fans usually see these players at least once or twice per season.

Reactions: Just Linda

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The poll section of this website includes a lot of NHL fans that don't follow prospects. Some people still might've not even heard of Bedard and Wright. If they have, there's still a good chance they haven't seen Wright play yet. If they have, there's still a good chance they've yet to see Bedard play.

There were 32 votes in this poll. I would guess as a collective less than 15 who voted have seen both play. I tend to think if you haven't seen them play you can't have an informed take, so while I'm not saying anyone is lying, I think some people are voting purely based on hype, which defeats the purpose of a poll. If someone doesn't have an informed opinion, shouldn't they not participate in the discussion?

I myself didn't want to vote in the recent Michkov vs. Bedard thread because I have yet to see Bedard play. I'm someone who follows this stuff closely, so I think if I haven't had the opportunity yet to see one of the two play that there are probably a lot of others who haven't either. And now there's another Bedard thread. To me, it just seems like the type of thread to wait a year for because most of the votes are going to be based entirely on hype. At least with these NHL player polls fans usually see these players at least once or twice per season.

That’s a fair take, and I agree with a lot of what you said. We don’t always agree, but you’re generally a pretty knowledgeable and a passionate fan. I am likewise hockey obsessed with a childlike love and zeal of the game still.

If you get a chance stream a Regina Pats game, it’s not hard to find. Bedard is must watch, much like Michkov. I’m looking forward to when Michkov eventually makes his pilgrimage over to Canada for the Super Series held in November usually between Canada and Russia. I suspect we might get a full glimpse of Michkov at the U-18s this year which will be nice.

There’s much room for developmental changes at this age as well. But from what I’ve seen, Bedard is as good of a hockey player at the age as you can get. Of course, he has to break in and start tearing the WHL apart when fans aren’t allowed in. I have some family in Regina, so I will be making extra efforts over the coming years before his draft to make the trek out there in winter more often than my usual once a year trip (who doesn’t love -45 degrees celsius Saskatchewan winters?).

It’s unusual to have a forward prospect this good in Western Canada usually we develop high end two way D men and just a bunch of solid middle six forwards in terms of NHLers. The WHL is more of a D man factory for the NHL and has been for decades. Some really high end forwards in the WHL right now though which is good.

Every chance he’s in Alberta specifically around the games in Calgary, Red Deer, Medicine Hat I’ll be checking in live whenever possible.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
No doubt Bedard has been killing it but I feel these results are going to be a bit skewed by “what have you done for me lately” and small sample sizes. Wright had 39 goals in 58 games last year for a crap team and would’ve had a ton more points on even a mediocre offensive team...because one of his immense gifts is spatial awareness and he would’ve racked up playmaker assists. I think people are suddenly sleeping on him in comparison because he’s not on the ice at the moment. When you look past total points, which were still remarkable, his totals as a 15 year in the OHL were downright amazing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s a fair take, and I agree with a lot of what you said. We don’t always agree, but you’re generally a pretty knowledgeable and a passionate fan. I am likewise hockey obsessed with a childlike love and zeal of the game still.

If you get a chance stream a Regina Pats game, it’s not hard to find. Bedard is must watch, much like Michkov. I’m looking forward to when Michkov eventually makes his pilgrimage over to Canada for the Super Series held in November usually between Canada and Russia. I suspect we might get a full glimpse of Michkov at the U-18s this year which will be nice.

There’s much room for developmental changes at this age as well. But from what I’ve seen, Bedard is as good of a hockey player at the age as you can get. Of course, he has to break in and start tearing the WHL apart when fans aren’t allowed in. I have some family in Regina, so I will be making extra efforts over the coming years before his draft to make the trek out there in winter more often than my usual once a year trip (who doesn’t love -45 degrees celsius Saskatchewan winters?).

It’s unusual to have a forward prospect this good in Western Canada usually we develop high end two way D men and just a bunch of solid middle six forwards in terms of NHLers. The WHL is more of a D man factory for the NHL and has been for decades. Some really high end forwards in the WHL right now though which is good.

Every chance he’s in Alberta specifically around the games in Calgary, Red Deer, Medicine Hat I’ll be checking in live whenever possible.

I’ve already been looking into watching Bedard. A few weeks ago I had planned to watch one of his games, but then found it didn’t work on mobile. I’ll get to it soon enough.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Bedard is the better prospect, but Wright will be a prolific goal scorer.

This has McDavid vs Matthews all over it, different kind of players. Bedard will be a consistent Ross threat but Wright will crack +60G in his prime.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bedard. It's honestly not close. He's almost at 2 PPG in a league that is harder to score in. His talent at his age is the best we've seen since Lindros.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard is the better prospect, but Wright will be a prolific goal scorer.

This has McDavid vs Matthews all over it, different kind of players. Bedard will be a consistent Ross threat but Wright will crack +60G in his prime.
I don't see elite talent like that in Wright.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wish the season wasn't canceled to see the progression in Wright, but he reminds me of a better goal scoring version of Toews.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bedard is likely better right now, but people saying it's not close are pretty crazy too.

Everyone's forgetting how amazing Wright's season as a 15 year old was juat because he didnt play this year and Bedard had a quick start.

Wright is a franchise player as well and also has top 5 player potential

Reactions: Voight

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I've watched a good amount of games for both.

Bedard has generational talent written all over him. The word is overused, but it is what it is.

The only reason anyone can stop him right now has to do with strength against guys much older than him. Once his body fills out, Bedard will become unstoppable and it'll be lights out for the competition.

Great hockey IQ, elite shot, exceptional vision, and just a complete offensive threat.

Wright is very impressive too.

He's a top-tier franchise prospect and has a game that's going to translate well at the NHL level. His peak if he reaches it is going to be special. With how he's progressing, I can easily see a supercharged Bergeron that has a game-breaking shot. This is the kind of talent that wins you cups.

For this thread, I'd put Bedard over Wright, but the teams that get either of them will hit the jackpot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad